1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HELP] Spilled wine on my friggin' MacBook

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Lynus302, Apr 5, 2011.

1. Lynus302

Lynus302 Contributing Member

Just like the title says.

It wasn't much wine, but my MacBook immediately shut down. In my haste to get it turned over, unplugged, etc, I hit the power button again (bad, bad, bad). It whirred up, but didn't start up, and I held the power button down to shut it down again quick as I could.

I took the back off and there was some moisture on the circuitry, but the HDD, DVD drive, and RAM all appeared to be dry, and I lack the tools to go any further in the disassembly, and my knowledge base doesn't go much further for me to be comfortable in doing so.

The back is still off and the HDD and RAM are still out, and the laptop is sitting propped up like this: /\

I plan on taking it to the Apple Store tomorrow to see what their opinion is. Should I have it reassembled before taking it in? Spilled wine obviously isn't covered under warranty. What the EF....I really don't need this headache right now.

Thoughts/opinions?

I'm rather terrified....nothing seems to be going my way and hasn't been for a few months now; this is really all I freakin' need.

TIA, y'all.

2. Lynus302

I know someone will ask:
    I have *some* backups. If I lose my music, so be it. I'm far more concerned with my resumes, cover letters, and other job-hunting docs, of which I have some.

CRAP, I hate my life right now.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

3. Asian Sensation

How about your Terabytes of Pr0n?! I didn't even know what a Terabyte was until u said u had that much of it in another thread. :grin:

4. Lynus302

Did I? I have an external TB drive full of movies and TV shows, but not p*rn.

p*rn is easily replaced, anyway.

5. theogcasey

theogcasey Contributing Member

Bummer. Maybe you can stick it in a (huge) bag of rice. Not sure if this would work with a computer, but it certainly helps with cell phone liquid damage.

And it's too late now, but you should look into Dropbox in the future. I keep all my school and work documents saved to it just as a precaution.

Good luck.

6. tehG l i d e

tehG l i d e Member

If liquid spills on some type of electronic device, you should never try to power it back on right after, wait at least a day. The rice thing would've helped but it may be too late, still be worth it to try.

7. brantonli24

brantonli24 Member

It may not help, but usually whenever my earphones get wet (usually from sweat) I just pop them on the radiator for a few hours and then come out, rather hot by fine. A Mac is probably a LOT more sensitive to heat, but consider how hot it gets anyway when you use it, maybe you could evaporate the wine out? (NOTE I have no expertise whatsoever with computers, you should probably consult somebody who actually knows what they are talking about).

8. Lynus302

F**k it. I'm going to bed.

Taking it to the Apple Store tomorrow. Time will tell whether it works again or not.

9. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

After reading this thread, called the girlfriend and while talking to her somehow knocked my Asus notebook off my bed onto the hardwood floor. A small piece of plastic chipped off and the notebook makes a clicking noise when I open and close it. Other than that, it seems to be functioning just fine. Called Asus about the standard accident protection warranty for 1 year that came with the computer and they giving me crap saying I didn't mail in the registration card - which is BS. They say if I send in the notebook, they will bill me for the repairs. I'm deciding whether its worth it if its only cosmetic.

Good luck on your Macbook. For me, what a unnecessarily crappy way to end the night.

#9 krnxsnoopy, Apr 5, 2011
    Last edited: Apr 5, 2011
  10. blathersby

blathersby Contributing Member

I've got bad news for you, man: there's really nothing the Apple Store can do about liquid damage. I'm not saying don't come in. I just don't want to get your hopes up.

Which store?

11. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

Get over yourself you wine drinking mac owning hippie!

3 people like this.
  12. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Why is it in this day of technology, a computer cannot protect against a simple liquid spill? I had to replace a work computer a while back due to a TINY amount of water that got in it.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I spilled beer (not a lot) on my macbook after a bender and it was only 3 months old. I took out the battery and left it dry for 2 days and took it to the Apple store.

They told me the logic board had burned out and it was about $1000 to fix. HE asked If I spilled any liquid on it and I said no.

They fixed it for free and I had my laptop back in 4 days. I Freaking <3 APPLE!

14. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Wine wasn't pretentious enough. Your Mac may accept a higher dollar vintage and stop ignoring you.

1 person likes this.
  15. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I thought Mac books ran on wine -- good wine that is.

16. MourningWood

MourningWood Contributing Member

I spilled a beer on my Macbook last year, and racked up over $600 in liquid damage. I remember telling the rep at the Apple Store and turning on my laptop... he literally cringed, and said something like, "I want to be optimistic, but in reality, you just cost yourself a boatload of money!" I never put any drinks around my laptop now... lesson learned.

17. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

In all seriousness, it might work if you can get it apart and clean the wine off, then let everything dry for a few weeks. It's a crapshot, though. But better than $1k in damages.

It's a shame and a surprise that Apple doesn't have a complete care warranty option like Dell does; I can drop my laptop in a backed up toilet and they will replace it. (Not trying to start a big Mac vs PC war here, I own both types)

18. Pizza_Da_Hut

Pizza_Da_Hut I put on pants for this?

That's why I went with my HP. It has identical specs to a MacBook plus liquid damage, accidental droppage and theft protection. If something spills, if it falls or I plain and simply lose it I'm covered. That peace of mind is unmatched...

19. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

You can try to let it dry out for a week and you might get lucky.

It was pretty unlucky that you hit the power on button again, which might have done you in. I probably would have turned it over and popped out the battery ASAP to stop it from turning on again.

20. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

your data on the hard drive is probably ok. computer is probably hosed.