1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Help Raising Money for College

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by PersianRocket, Feb 18, 2015.

1. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

It sounds like a problem for the kid and Stanford need to resolve or he can't go. I know most 16 year olds are terrible at picking up the phone and talking to people in an organization, but that's probably what he needs to do. Find the right person, explain the situation, and say he can't go if he can't somehow borrow or earn the money. Either they'll say the program is just a money-grab for them and he can't come if he can't pay, or they'll help him.

2. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Yep. If it is truly just the summer program, that is a money-maker for elite colleges and does not guarantee at all later admission for a degree. Those programs are designed for rich people and middle class people who think it will help get their kid into an elite college. If your guy is still in high school without a diploma the answer is to look for closer and cheaper summer programs. My daughter is a Jr. in HS and has been getting tons of solicitations for Stanford and other summer programs since her freshman year. We passed on those, but did send her to a local academic camp and had her do an internship with a high level of community service. This summer, she is going to a speech and debate camp in state. We are saving money for real college.

If the family is economically disadvantaged, then doing community service projects and showing you have initiative , kicking ass in school, putting up 5s on AP tests, and coming in with a good test score will look better than going to any summer program. Admissions folks understand not everyone can afford those and sense desperation in some that do go.

3. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

By the way, the whole college process is absurd these days. From expectations to money issues, we are stressing the hell out of kids and their families. I think the current system is unsustainable.

1 person likes this.
  4. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

Excellent posts by rimrocker. It's crazy kids are jockying and resume building as HS juniors. And good advice about what would really help this kid get to Stanford.

.....academic camp and debate camp? Holy crap! (good luck to your kid....just tough for me to reconcile with my summers of casual labor, hangin at the 7/11 and frittering about).

5. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Great advice, I think. Colleges (and employers) want evidence that a kid can be proactive and take ownership. Particular skills you might get from a Stanford summer program might be somewhat helpful if he wants to do something very technical in college. But, I don't think its very impressive from a take-ownership point of view.

6. PersianRocket

PersianRocket Member

Thanks everyone for the help.

To address your last paragraph, he has some kick-ass scores in school. Took the SAT as a freshmen and scored a 2200.

He's going to attempt to talk to the schools board to see if they can help. Maybe fundraise. Thanks again.

7. marky :)

marky :) Member

When I was that age all I did in the summer was touch myself and play video games.

1 person likes this.
  8. marky :)

marky :) Member

Come to think of it, 11 years later and I still do that. But I'm an adult now so its socially acceptable.