1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HELP!] Math/scheduling puzzle that has me stumped

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by BetterThanI, Aug 18, 2011.

Tags:
  1. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

Okay, this isn't just an intellectual exercise, it's a real-world problem. I've been trying solve it, but just can't figure it out.

Here it is: there are five days in the week: M T W Th F

There are five teachers: A, B, C, D, E

There are three rotation stations: 1. Art, 2. Music, 3. Gym

Parameters:

- They need three days a week with gym, one with art, and one with music.

- Gym can teach one, two, or three classes at a time, but no more than three.

- Trying to make it so that they never have gym two days in a row.

Options

- 1 or 2 classes could be divided into 1/2, 1/4, even 1/5.

- A two week rotation (A/B week) is an option, though not a necessity.

Rep points awarded to whomever can solve this.

2. ToyCen428

ToyCen428 Member

Weird clouds are weird. :)

3. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Simple answer:

All of them, my pad, baby!

[​IMG]

4. candlegreen

candlegreen Contributing Member

This is all assuming that this all happens at the same time per day?

I don't see how you could push it so there are no gym days going 2 in a row.

If they need 3 gym days a week and there are 5 days, they have to be M/W/F regardless of 1 or 2 week rotation schedules.

If you can't fit all 5 classes on those days, it really doesn't matter how you do it if they need 3 a week.

Also, splitting into 1/2s, 1/4s, etc. does not help in this situation at all.

#4 candlegreen, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  5. Qball

Qball Contributing Member

Each class can go to only 1 rotation (gym, art, or music) per day? Basically wondering if Class A can go to gym and art on Monday...

1 person likes this.
  6. candlegreen

Do they have to share the same time slot?

3 classes at the same time at the gym. Are there other time slots? If so, then it's easy.

7. B-ball freak

B-ball freak Contributing Member

Unless all of them go to gym M, W, F, then there is no way that at least one class won't have it two days in a row.

Have 1 go M,W,Th - 1 go T,W,F - 1 go M,T,Th - 1 go T,Th,F- and 1 M,W,F

That has 3 classes per day with each class sharing gym at least once with the other 4.

#7 B-ball freak, Aug 18, 2011
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  8. BetterThanI

Some points to clarify:

- Yes, the classes all happen simultaneously (i.e. - one class in art, one class in music, up to three classes in the gym, all at 8:00am-9:00am).

- No, going to gym and music/art in one rotation (i.e. - 8:00-8:30 gym, 8:30-9:00 music) is NOT an option.

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Although his seems like something the computers at IBM would schedule out in the Olympics, I can't visualize what you want. :(

Please show me an example and why it DOESN'T work... like, for example, one teacher's entire week and how it looks, and how you would do this for a different teacher that meets the required parameters you explained.

He also mentioned that it could be that there are two weeks, rotated. I'll use "R" for Thursday like we do in the university system:

Teacher A
    ---------
    Week 1:
    M gym
    W gym
    F gym
    Week 2:
    T gym
    R gym

^ 2-week rotation, gym without 2 days in a row, but I don't have the times. Is that good, BetterThanI? :confused:

1 person likes this.
  10. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

Gym, Tan, Laundry.

11. BetterThanI

Not bad, but they would need another day in the gym in Week 2 (i.e. - T Th R)> Let's see if this helps visualize. Here is the current schedule:

[​IMG]

The problem with the schedule as it currently sits is that PE needs to teach three lessons per week, and they need to be in order (1,2,3 - in ed, we call it sequenced teaching). So, on Monday, classes B, D, and E receive Lesson 1. What do they do on Tuesday? They can't really teach Lesson 2, because classes C and A come on Tuesday, and the didn't get Lesson 1 yet. They can't teach Lesson 1, because class D already had it and needs to move on to the next lesson or they'll be one hour behind.

Help me, Obi Wan Kenobi! You're my only hope!

12. Ender120

Ender120 Contributing Member

<embed id=VideoPlayback src=http://video.google.com/googleplayer.swf?docid=-6456673973219229574&hl=en&fs=true style=width:400px;height:326px allowFullScreen=true allowScriptAccess=always type=application/x-shockwave-flash> </embed>

13. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Use linear programming in Excel Solver to figure this out.

1 person likes this.
  14. candlegreen

that won't fit the 3 gyms a week on week 2 though.

15. candlegreen

The problem is that you don't want 2 PE days in a row. If this situation you've listed is your issue, then must you teach in order? I assume that's the case since it's "sequence teaching." I assume you can't teach lesson 2 before lesson 1 for a specific class?

16. BetterThanI

Nope, can't do it. Need to go in order: 1,2,3.

17. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

With the sequential teaching requirement added, I don't see how it's possible, even if they go to PE on back to back days.

1 person likes this.
  18. rage

rage Member

Who are they?
    What is gym? Gym class, gym teacher?
    Who are they?

What does this mean?

Can any of the teachers A-D teach any class?

1 person likes this.
  19. BetterThanI

Yeah, I got a little vague with my indefinite pronouns. Sorry. Let me clarify: The students are required to spend three days a week in gym class, one day in art class, and one day in music class.

The gym teachers can teach one, two, or three classes at a time, but no more than three.

Correction: trying to make it so that the students never have gym two days in a row.

No, the teachers A-E aren't teaching gym, art, or music. A-E are the homeroom teachers. Gym, art, and music have dedicated teachers that teach the students from classes A-E.

I'm convinced now that it is impossible to fulfil my set parameters, given the number of classes and days in which to schedule. Makes me feel a bit better, since I struggled with this for almost 3 hours and still couldn't make it work. Thanks for trying though, guys. Rep for everyone!

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

haven't read other responses but this should be simple. however, this parameter needs more explanation

- Gym can teach one, two, or three classes at a time, but no more than three.

you introduce the notion of "classes" as a rule in your parameters, but you don't define what a "class" means vs a day.