1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Help] Laptop infected with virus

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by RMGEEGEE, Dec 20, 2011.

1. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

1 person likes this.
  2. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Have you tried buying a Mac?

3. Xsatyr

Xsatyr Member

Gross.

4. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

People need to learn to use FIREFOX and NOSCRIPT!!

So let me get this straight if you're stupid and don't know now to use a computer go buy an expensive Mac?

I've been using Windows for years now and never encounter this problem. Easiest fix is to have a reliable real time virus protection, firewall and a web browser like Firefox that uses NOSCRIPT.

5. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

Sounds complicated.

6. KMC1499

KMC1499 Member

7. bullardfan

bullardfan なんでやねん

Windows 7 should have smthg like Time Machine. If it does, then just format and restore from a safe save point.

8. meh

meh Contributing Member

Huh. I'll check out noscript. Don't have it myself, but I haven't had a problem with virus for years now on windows.

I remember a couple of years back I got a virus on XP that nothing worked against it. So I just reinstalled windows again and erased the C: drive in the process. So there's always the stupid way if you can't get rid of it the cool way.

9. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

The only reason you have survive without Noscript is that you haven't been to certain sites or you're smart enough not to install a whole bunch of crap wares that come with some free softwares. Same thing here. The last virus was also on my XP but but that was so long ago and I doubt I'll be getting any more virus on an XP with the proper Browsers and anti virus protection we have now if I intend to use the OS. That's the risk of using Windows. It's the freedom of installing almost whatever you want but at a price. Another thing is that I don't understand why people turn off their UAC because they find it's annoying. Better be safe then sorry.

10. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

I own a Mac and consider it superior to Windows but buying one because it can't get viruses is not a good reason. Windows machines don't get viruses either if you are smart and run antivirus program (many free ones are sufficient)

11. solid

solid Contributing Member

Had a Dell with top of the line virus protection and FireFox was my browser and it got highjacked by "malware" of some kind. Spent $150 for Dell to get rid of it, which they never did, and now the computer is a paperweight. That's why I went to Apple. Sick of it. Happy that your superior knowledge has protected you from these problems that MILLIONS of the rest of us face on a daily basis. Windows was a joke and still is a joke. There were superior operating systems out there in the 80's before the clunky and flawed Windows OS became part of the MS monopoly. I will never go back.

12. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

Mac OS is actually less secure than windows. Its just that no one writes viruses and malware for it. There was a virus that effected Macs this year and Apple ignored it.

http://www.macobserver.com/tmo/article/pwn2own_winner_mac_os_x_is_less_secure_than_windows/

http://www.zdnet.com/blog/bott/appl...remove-malware/3362?tag=content;siu-container

Having a Mac is like living in the burbs. No one bothers to go out there to steal stuff. However, it doesn't make the house any more secure.

13. Damion Laverne

4 words:

LAY. OFF. THE. p*rn.

14. Cowboy_Bebop

Cowboy_Bebop Member

Don't even bother. He will just take it into service because that's what Apple offer them. The Services that they paid for. I mean Windows 7 is the best OS that Microsoft have ever had if he doesn't know about it. Don't blame Microsoft or Windows because his problem is him the user and Dell.

15. DaNorthDakota

DaNorthDakota Member

Stop watching p*rn.

DND

16. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

delete:

wrong thread

17. codell

codell Contributing Member

Seconded. NOSCRIPT is awesome!

18. Poloshirtbandit

Wouldn't recommend system restore. You may bring the virus back if you have an infected restore point.