1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Help from Our Chinese Friends

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Jeff, Sep 3, 2007.

1. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Can you understand chinese?

And the wisdom sign kinda looks like an angry deformed face.

2. SoSoDef76

SoSoDef76 Contributing Member

3. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

One more thing... the Chinese are big on calligraphy, it's actually considered quite an art form, so even if you have the right words on it, if the character is not very well written, it kinda looks dumb to someone who knows the culture better. I think the fonts on the initial page and also the one I found looked decent, but I'm no expert. Also, the one on the original post and the one I posted were two different fonts done with different style brushes.

Moreover, ven if you selected the correct fond and it looks good, the tattoo artist still has to know what he's doing.

Take Kenyon Martin's tattoo, for example, not only is the message stupid ("worrying excessively about gains and losses") the calligraphy is also rather unattractive.

In any case, getting Chinese character tattoos is fraught with danger.

(Tattoos being not so popular in China, Chinese equivalent of this is wearing T-shirts with nonsense English words).

4. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I once met a university kid from chongqing who would not go anywhere without his "Spirit of the Burnout!" hat.

5. fadeaway

fadeaway Contributing Member

Thank you, dear heart. I was beginning to wonder.....

6. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

Why not go native...

[​IMG]
    The Eagle. Master of the skies. A carrier of prayers. Many Indian Nations honor this bird as possessing courage, wisdom, and a special connection to the creator. Often confused with the "thunder bird". The Eagle is considered a protector, the sky spirit, and a symbol associated with visions & spirits.

7. Jeff

Jeff Clutch Crew

Honestly, never been big on the native American symbolism or spiritualism for whatever reason.

8. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

This is exactly why I think it's important to find a classicly-trained Asian artist. They don't have to be Asian, but I would probably trust an Asian over just some random guy at a tattoo joint who said he knew Kanji and East-Asian art.

Wow, thank you so much! Now to find someone who can do it skillfully and artfully. Would this be done diagnoly?

9. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Actually 自律 is good for what you are interested in. Which means self discipline.