1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Help a basketball newbie out

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by wil55n, Aug 6, 2012.

1. wil55n

wil55n Member

Hi guys,

I'm new to basketball.I became interested because of Lin, so I think you would call me an "LOF". However I credit Lin for now making me a follower of the New York Knicks, in particular Tyson Chandler and Iman Shumpert, so maybe LOF might not be the best description. Now that he is with Houston, I've started to read up on Houston's background and from what I see so far, I can really imagine myself cheering for Houston regardless of where Lin plays. The NYK just seemed a little too "glitzy" for my taste, but I really did grow fond of some of the players.

Anyway, there's some questions I hope you guys can answer from a fans perspective:

• I would like to attend a Houston game at their home court. It would be a once in a lifetime thing for me so it would be a pretty big event for me. How early do tickets sell out? Would I have to plan to get a ticket weeks/months in advance?

• What was the reaction here like when Yao Ming was signed? I noticed Lin getting about a 50/50 rating of overrated/underrated on these forums which I think is reasonable. Yao seems to have a reasonable amount of respect on these forums, I'm wondering if that was always the case, or if he had to prove himself.

2 people like this.
  2. RedNation

RedNation Contributing Member

The tickets won't sell out and Toyota center is usually half empty.

3. eddiewinslow

eddiewinslow Member

unless you go rockets vs heat or lakers, you should be able to get very good seats on any night you want

4. wil55n

wil55n Member

Thanks. Is there a reason why the lakers or heat games are so popular? I know those teams are popular but I didnt think it would make rockets fans come anymore than any other game. Or does it just fill up with lakers supporters lol

5. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

correct.

6. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

The Lakers and especially the Heat are going to fill up just about any arena in the league. Casual fans jump on the bandwagon and/or fans want to see their team take on the best.

7. TheresTheDagger

OKC is another team that will sell out.

8. MIAGI99

MIAGI99 Member

No offense, but you are the type of fan that erks me.

9. DallasThomas

DallasThomas Contributing Member

No offense, but your spelling irks me.:p

10. Toast

Toast Member

People like to see a show. So people are more likely to go to a game when Kobe and the Lakers come to town as opposed to when Milwaukee and no one come to town. I'd rather watch Lebron and the Heat play than Tyreke Evans and the Sacramento Kings. And so would most basketball fans.

So games against better teams are more packed than games against blah teams.

But yeah, you should be able to score tickets pretty easily, 'cause let's face it, the Rockets haven't done anything in a long time.

When Yao was drafted, he wasn't an instant fan favorite. But he won the city over. I hope Lin also wins the city over, 'cause it'll mean he's kickin' ass. Which would be nice. That said, I think very generally speaking Yao was more well received than Lin because everyone recognized his potential with his size and his skill set.

11. da_juice

da_juice Member

Here's something true at any NBA game. The Raptors or Kings will cost next to nothing.

12. wil55n

wil55n Member

Sorry, I've just grown to enjoy a sport that is new to me. Maybe the way I have been introduced to it does not make me an elite fan but it is what it is!

13. wil55n

wil55n Member

Thanks, answers exactly what I wanted to know.

14. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

I don't see any difference between people that root for a team, wether it happened because it's their home town, family tradition or because of a certain player. People that hate on somebody because of the reason he roots for something in sports don't really understand what this is about and how it should be.

In the end we all love the game and support the team and it's players, so welcome to Rockets family, hope you enjoy our team and have fun. :)

15. greatpacha1

greatpacha1 Member

16. david_rocket

david_rocket Member

people dont go to see teams with no superstars and bad teams, so
    the rockets (and most of the NBA teams) have giveaway nights so people go to games against bad teams or they have promotions.