1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Heavily black and Latino precincts often have long lines and fewer voting machines on Election Day.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dc rock, Nov 3, 2014.

1. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I used to vote on election day. In one neighborhood I lived in there was never any line at all. I could walk right in to the elementary school there and vote. In the neighborhood I live in now I've had to wait up to 2 hours to vote on election day. I wouldn't say that the one neighborhood was much nicer than the other but that's just the experience I've had. I always try to vote early now.

2. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I voted this AM (7am) at a local church. There was a ten minute line and the volunteer struggled with my last name so it took a few extra minutes finding me in the book. After that it was smooth sailing.

There was the tea party guy in the parking lot handing out "who to vote for" guides but he was polite enough with his offer and I politely declined. Not a major thing, but I do wish that parking lots were off limits to both signs and people handing out stuff...

3. CometsWin

At my location there is a line in the parking lot they can't cross. It says something like election materials prohibited beyond this point or something like that.

4. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

Took me about 5 mimnutes. . . no big whoop
    Knew where my voting station was
    got to my name pretty quickly
    went through each item instead of Straight Ticket

I did hear the pollsters telling someone
    It's not where you are registered but where you live

I'm curious . .. if they not registered where they live . . . how do they get to vote?
    Do they need to take a piece of mail or something?

Rocket River

5. NotInMyHouse

NotInMyHouse Contributing Member

There are numerous locations to obtain a free voter ID card in Texas. There is also a good amount of public transportation or friends and relatives to take someone to obtain such as ID. If your 90 year old ass can't make it to obtain an ID I hardly see you making the same trip to stand in line and vote.

http://www.texastribune.org/2013/06/25/dps-begin-offering-free-voter-id-cards-week/

6. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

I noticed . . .in every race . . the Republican was the 1st on the ballot .. . .
    Anyone know how it is determined who gets that #1 Spot?

Rocket River

7. NotInMyHouse

Amen, man. Straight ticket voting is for lazy dunderheads, and I say this knowing my mother votes in this manner. It drives me crazy. Of course, the First Lady mentioned the other day that blacks should vote a straight democrat ticket. She's no lazy dunderhead, just a fool trying to play other fools.

http://www.examiner.com/article/michelle-obama-blacks-should-vote-straight-democratic-ticket-no-matter-what

8. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

My favorite part about this "scandal" is the conservatives making a big deal about it and using it as proof that you should be voting Republican.

Don't hit the straight ticket button of course. But "learn" about each candidate and then go one by one and vote for the Republican!

9. NotInMyHouse

Sure. I find more satisfaction in actually voting for people's ideas versus some stringent ideology or that I'm white so I should vote Republican or I'm black and should vote Democrat. That's just completely shameless and assumes people are incapable of thinking for themselves.

10. CometsWin

It sounds like she's asking everyone to vote straight ticket, not just "the blacks".

How does a Republican expect to win the votes of people of color with an agenda that hurts them across the board from immigration to voter ID laws to tax cuts to entitlement spending to minimum wage laws? How does that work? Republicans use their culture wars to get people to vote against their own economic interests but when part of your culture war is racism, subtle and otherwise, then that kind of doesn't work with people of color. People of color are thinking for themselves, very reasonably for that matter.

11. Nook

Nook Member

I see this often.

A white Southern male MUST vote Republican... or he is obviously an ignorant traitor.

All blacks MUST vote (D) or they are an Uncle Tom.

Both parties have their angles..... the Republicans like to ask as if they are the more informed and more independent party.... which is foolish.

The Democrats like to tell people how to vote, don't question, don't ask.... just vote for "X".

The reality is that the Republicans don't really give a damn about rural white voters or the middle class and the Democrats don't really give a damn about latinos or blacks.

12. Nook

Nook Member

Want to get more blacks to vote Republicans?

Prosperity... that is how.

When there are more upper middle class and wealthy blacks, you will see more blacks vote Republican. Also, but an emphasis on social issues that are conservative and supported by a high percentage of black voters.

The problem is that the Republican party often times is really out of touch... look at their commericals trying to appeal to young women.... centered around wedding dresses.

13. CometsWin

The Republican idea of prosperity is what we've seen the last thirty years starting with Reagan. Income concentrated in the top 10% via tax cuts and loopholes, deregulation which leads to privatization and syphoning tax money to the private sector, union busting, wages falling behind historical trends, the destruction of entitlement programs, the dismantling of public education, industries that rip off the public by simply moving money around, high frequency stock trading, financial fraud, so called free trade and globalization, etc. More of the same isn't going to fix anything and that's precisely what Republicans have in store for us.

14. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

So, you researched the 12 pages of district judges that were on the ballot today?

15. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'm finishing up the judges still. Judges are so important. I'll be voting for a lot of 3rd parties on the judgeships!

16. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Is that how Detroit wound up in its current condition? If Detroit is what Democrats have in store for us I think I'll pass. Texas... that's a nice place.

17. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

Don't Texas have voting centers? Vote anywhere within the city! That's how it should be.

18. CometsWin

That and the fact the city's fortunes are largely tied to the rise and fall of the automobile industry. When oil prices plummet, as they did in the early 80's, Houston suffers the same kind of fate.

19. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

So you don't put any of the blame for Detroit on the political leadership there? I see the automotive industry doing ok in other places with different leadership.

20. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

So you put all of the blame for Detroit on the political leadership there? I've seen the decline of the American auto industry over the last 40 years and it has negatively impacted every single place where the industry historically had a presence, regardless of political leadership.

Flint.