1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Heavily black and Latino precincts often have long lines and fewer voting machines on Election Day.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dc rock, Nov 3, 2014.

1. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

It isn't anecdotal, the DoJ did a study and published a report. The usual suspects have chosen to ignore it.

2. Nook

Nook Member

I received a PM that BobMarley was caught with child p*rnography!! Any one know if this is true???

3. bigtexxx

bigtexxx Contributing Member

Can somebody please redo the title on this thread. Please change it to, "Hey, the democrats are about to get routed in tomorrow's election -- here's the latest excuse du jour!"

4. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Of course you dont care who's fault it is. You would rather waste time and resources instead of dealing with the problem, ie: the fault.

However I do agree with the article. Its not a grand conspiracy. It boils down to incompetence. Most of these workers would struggle serving you a large fry at McDonalds, much less run an efficient polling station. This isn't meant to be an insult, just the harsh truth.
    Most of my polling locations in the last 15 years were ran by the elderly...the kind you dont expect to be around by the next election. They are the nicest people you could ask for, however its quite annoying dealing with their competency. A simple 5 minute task turns into a 20 minute chore.

5. Space Ghost

Does it bother you these same people have no trouble at all cashing in their government benefits 2 seconds after it leaves the postman's hand?

6. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

You can't be serious.

7. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Maybe he's right.

8. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Are the voting precincts run by party or county officials? Are there similar issues in rural or remote areas due to a pre-emptive lack of staffing and facilities? Do the resources and volunteers allotted reflect the limited voting numbers for blacks and hispanics, the lead time they take in preparing and planning for resources, and the relative amount of local volunteers and donors as compared to non-minority precincts?

9. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I can confirm that it's unfunny and somewhat mean-spirited to allege.

10. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

I can confirm that stating that minorities inherently are more prone to voter fraud is somewhat mean-spirited. Funny is subjective.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I'm black, *******; should I be more pissed about not getting any of these benefits or about banks being open 300 days a year?

12. Space Ghost

If I help you get them, will you sell them to me for a quarter on the dollar in exchange for booze?

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

Is that what the blacks do?

14. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Don't know why vote my mail isn't available in all 50 states.

15. GladiatoRowdy

Makes it too easy for all citizens to vote. Republicans don't like that.

16. GladiatoRowdy

From the time I walked into my precinct until the time I drove back into my driveway at home was 7 minutes, 30 seconds.

17. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Imagine how it feels to wait 35 years and not even find a polling station. Super inconvenient.

18. Nook

Nook Member

That will eventually change... I just fear it may not be in our lifetime for a variety of reasons causing instability in the region.

19. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

You can't find your place to vote?

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Went to my new polling place now that I live in a much whiter neighborhood. Right before going into work, and there was no line. But, when I lived in Third Ward, there was also never any line. If there is a long line problem, I don't think we see much of it in Harris county.

I also didn't have a problem with the voter ID law though the address on my DL didn't match my address on the voter card. They did check the spelling on my name and mentioned that supervisors have been emphasizing that.

I like voting on election day. One, when I tried voting early, there was a huge line and it took forever. Meanwhile, I've never encountered a long line on election day. Two, I like to give politicians as much rope as possible to hang themselves. If one of them pulls their mask off the day before election day to reveal he's Kodos, I want to have that information when I vote. Three, politicians want you to vote early, and anything they're for, I'm against. And four, it's a lot more fun to vote on election day. It's like a holiday (where you still have to go to work).

In the UAE?