1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Heavily black and Latino precincts often have long lines and fewer voting machines on Election Day.

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by dc rock, Nov 3, 2014.

1. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

I've been wondering...why do people vote on Election Day when they can vote early (where applicable)? There doesn't seem to be any reason to vote on Election Day, besides maybe tradition.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

It may also be a time when they vote issue.

Lower income areas are more likely to have people with less flexible working hours and are therefore more likely to hit the voting booths at the same relative times. Before work, lunch of after work. More affluent areas will tend to have people spreading out during the day to avoid lines, which by extension makes the lines shorter throughout the day.

Just a guess.

3. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Your employer has to give you the ability to vote on election day. Not everybody has a flexible schedule where they can go vote during the early voting process.

4. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

I choose to vote on election day. I may be wrong, but to me it builds in part of the privilege and civic duty we have as citizens... the process of going to my local polling place (among neighbors and fellow citizens) and casting my vote. Most times I walk to the polling location with my wife and it make us both feel good to cast our ballots.

Perhaps outdated in this time of early voting and mail-in ballots, but some traditions feel good to follow...

5. Hustle Town

Hustle Town Contributing Member

Of course, that makes sense. I didn't realize there was a law that allowed for voter leave.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

While Voter ID laws may not be the focus of the article, the title can also be interpreted... minority voters face hurdles to casting ballots in addition to Voter ID Laws.

7. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I was under the impression that many of the places you can vote are often volunteered to be voting locations. A church, or a school allows their building to be used as a place to vote. Is this not correct? Could that be a possible reason why there are less places to vote in certain areas?

8. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

This is very true.

9. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

do i think requiring id to vote makes it more difficult for people to vote? of course. Every security measure makes the task its meant to secure more difficult.

your tens of thousands number i call bull**** on. Most of the people who can legally vote but don't have id are just too lazy to get an id. How is this person going to go vote if they aren't physically able to go to the clerks office to get an id?

Tell your friends to go here:

http://www.txdps.state.tx.us/driverlicense/electionid.htm

#29 tallanvor, Nov 3, 2014
    Last edited: Nov 3, 2014
  10. mtbrays

mtbrays Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You can't combat anecdotal evidence with assumptions.

11. tallanvor

yes you can. both are worthless.

His antidote made no sense to begin with (no i am not saying he's lying, just lacking info).

12. magnetik

magnetik Contributing Member

no conspiracy.. They just need to get there before dead people and pets get in line.

13. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

All the more reason why Republicans have tried to restrict early voting and voting hours.

14. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Well it is good to see you finally admit that there are numerous hurdles (BTW deliberately placed) to minority voters voting. Your attempt I guess at logic is off when you conclude that just because there are other hurdles this means that the ID law is not another one.

15. tallanvor

Nope. You suck at reading comprehension.

MY statement meant this is not the proof voter id haters are looking for. Again u didn't read correctly.

16. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Maybe bobmarley enjoys sleeping with children. Who knows, I may be right.

17. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

That's all well and good but then shouldn't there be more voting machines for these densely populated regions then?

18. London'sBurning

London'sBurning Contributing Member

It may in fact be true that bobmarley sleeps with children. I heard it on the internet so it must be true. You may be right.

19. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Link on minorities taking longer to vote?

LOL on the contention that they vote multiple times. You're completely deluded.

20. GladiatoRowdy

GladiatoRowdy Contributing Member

Because the line to vote early in my area was almost always 45 minutes to an hour. I can get it done in less than 10 minutes before or after after I put the kids on the bus at my location, which is 3 blocks away.

35 to 50 minutes means a lot to me, rather spend it with my kids than waiting in line to vote.