1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Heat maneuvering could net Mike Miller, keep Haslem

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Rockets34Legend, Jul 9, 2010.

1. Rockets34Legend

Rockets34Legend Contributing Member

http://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-heat/sfl-miami-heat-update-s070910,0,4440538.story

In a potentially huge turn of events, the Miami Heat is attempting to work out a sign-and-trade agreement with the Cleveland Cavaliers for free-agent forward LeBron James, who already has agreed to join the Heat.

Should the Heat be able to pull off the maneuver, it would give Heat President Pat Riley unlimited resources to re-sign remaining current Heat free agents such as Udonis Haslem, Dorell Wright and Quentin Richardson -- whichever are not included in such a sign-and-trade -- without having to make those agreements work within the confines of the NBA's "soft" salary cap.

No matter the approach, James is locked into a Heat future.

In addition, such a maneuver would allow the Heat to retain its mid-level salary-cap exception for 2010-11, which it then could utilize to complete its planned signing of Washington Wizards free-agent swingman Mike Miller.

In essence, the Heat is completing its end game.

Regardless of the approach, the Heat is expected to sign Miller, the former University of Florida standout, to a contract in the five-year, $30 million range.

The Heat also is finishing off a sign-and-trade agreement with the Toronto Raptors that will allow recently acquired power forward Chris Bosh to receive a six-year free-agent contract instead of the maximum five-year contract an outside free agent can receive. The Raptors, in turn, will receive a package of draft picks from the Heat and a trade exception of roughly $15 million.

With a sign-and-trade with Cleveland, James also could receive a six-year package, instead of the maximum five-year deal an outside free agent could receive.

Such an arrangement would allow Bosh, James and re-signed Heat free-agent guard Dwyane Wade to each receive similar six-year, $125 million contracts starting at the league maximum of $16.6 million for next season.

The Heat still is addressing the possibility of retaining Haslem, the free-agent power forward. However, under its current salary structure, the Heat only could offer Haslem a veteran-minimum 2010-11 contract of $1.1 million. The Heat then could make up the money to Haslem in 2011-12 and beyond.

However, if both Bosh and James are acquired by sign-and-trade agreements, then Haslem could receive a Heat contract that would start in 2010-11 at or above his $7.1 million 2009-10 salary.

Haslem has had contact with several teams, with the Utah Jazz emerging as a suitor in the wake of losing free-agent power forward Carlos Boozer to the Chicago Bulls.

The Orlando Sentinel also reporting that Orlando Magic free-agent forward Matt Barnes said he has been in contact with the Heat. Barnes earned $1.6 million last season, opting out of the $1.6 million he otherwise would have earned this coming season.

With a sign-and-trade of James, Barnes then could slide into the lower-level, $2 million salary-cap exception the Heat would regain.

2. Hobbs

Hobbs Member

I don't think that's possible. The Heat would have to send out contracts nearly equal to what they receive if they want to stay over the cap the whole way.

3. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

I don't get it. After Dan Gilbert ripped Lebron a new a-hole, why would he work out a sign and trade to help the Heat and seal up all the supporting cast that they need. It makes no sense.

If this goes down then you might as well gift-wrap the title to Miami for the next six years.

4. speedball

speedball Contributing Member

could the cavs secretly pull off the sign and keep? that would be stellar :grin: !

5. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I can see Cavs doing something only if Miami has something signifcant to offer. And I doubt the Heat does. If they are doing a Bosh S&T, that would mean the Toronto 1st rounder, at least, goes back to Toronto. So, what can they offer the Cavs? Their own 1st rounder (low pick expected), cash, S&T of their own FAs (D. Wright, U. Haslem, Q. Rich, J. O'Neal, etc.)? Doesn't sound like the kind of stuff that would temp the Cavs.

6. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Cleveland isn't going to do anything to help Miami. This isn't possible.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

True, and given Gilbert's explosion, hard to see it happening.

Still, from a pure logic perspective, if the Cavs could get a huge trade exception and something like a 2013, 2015, 2017 first round pick (ask for the moon, why not)...hey, that's something.

8. tofu--

tofu-- Member

Miami are the ones that need help to get roleplayers around their Big Three. They have few, if any, assets left after trading Beasley.

No one in the league is gonna help them. This is just all conjecture.

9. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

it is better to get something rather than nothing.

10. ThaShark316_28

[​IMG]

11. Gooshie

Gooshie Member

I doubt Dan Gilbert feels this way. He's already compromised the future of his team's ability to acquire FAs because he couldn't control his emotional outburst.

12. m_cable

What could Miami have that has value to Cleveland? The value to Miami is enormous. That's like saying that it was better for the Native Americans to get something rather than nothing when they traded some blankets and beads for Manhattan.

13. DOMINATOR

DOMINATOR Member

not when its 20 million in crappy players. i'd rather have the capspace than garbage.
    really picks arent enough to offset that... usually need a great young player and picks. but who really wants the heats picks because they wont be very high for awhile.

14. m_cable

From a salary cap point of view, this is technically possible if they get Jermaine Oneal to sign a non-guaranteed deal to match Lebron's incoming salary. But I refuse to believe that Dan Gilbert would do such a thing for Lebron/Miami.

15. spaceage808

spaceage808 Member

sorry but i dont agree with you. why would you want to help them? unless u were getting somethign significant, i would have to say id rather get nothing than help them build a dynasty.

16. rimrocker

rimrocker Contributing Member

As a Longhorn fan, I'm glad to see that Miami is working hard to surround Dexter Pittman with some complimentary players.

17. lionaire

lionaire Member

Pittman played at a local rival school down the street from mine. It's nice to see him go from fat slob to possibly the starting center for a contender.

And there's no way Gil will approve anything affiliated with Lebron.

18. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

30th pick, 30th pick, 30th pick. Nice.

I don't see it happening.

19. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I think in the scenario you proposed, at least the 1st year salary of JO must be guranteed:

From Larry Coon's Faq:

However, I don't think JO's contract has to match Lebron's. It can be significantly less. Specifically, it can equal to the difference between Lebron's contract and MIA's remaining cap room after signing Miller, Haslem and whatever other FA they wish to get.

For example, let say MIA signs Wade, does a S&T for Chris Bosh, and has $21 mil left in cap space (all numbers here are "back of envelope" and given as examples only). They can go ahead and offer a salary starting at $6 mil a year to Haslem, $4 mil a year for Miller. They then have $11 mil to play with. So, in order to get Lebron in a S&T for $16.6 mil, they'd have to send out roughly $5.6 mil (or more specifically, $5.5 mil, since they can be up to $100K over the cap, I think, in such a trade) out.

Would Cleveland take any of the Miami guys for that amount? I doubt it.

Like I said, the Cavs can have about $13 mil in cap room if they just let Lebron walk and release Delonte. Would they want to eat into $5.5 mil of that cap room and take on some not so hot players in exchange for a couple of very low 1st rounders?

Doubt it, unless I am missing something.

20. tiger0330

tiger0330 Contributing Member

I think Gilbert has stated before there will be no sign and trade if Lebron left. I don't think he is going to change his mind after that open letter to the fans, he is not in the mood to do Lebron any favors.

Also, what picks do the Heat have that they can trade, haven't they dealt everything under the sun to get rid of contracts and to get Bosh.