1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Heat doesn’t want Ryno according to Miami Herald

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by khanhdum, Aug 18, 2018.

1. alethios

alethios Member

At least we rid ourselves of the waste next to him.

2. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Why do people refer to the Heat (and the Thunder for that matter) as a singular thing? "Heat doesn't" doesn't make any sense whatsoever, I see it all the time in the media (also with the Thunder) and it's really annoying. Just because something doesn't have an "s" doesn't mean it's singular. All team names are plural lol.

hakeem94 likes this.
  3. craguin

craguin Member

Miami in: Evan Turner, Al-Farouq Aminu
    Houston in: James Johnson, Meyers Leonard
    Portland in: Ryan Anderson, Isaiah Hartenstein, Vincent Edwards, Dion Waiters [+ compensation?]

Vivi likes this.
  4. Vivi

Vivi Member

Nice catch on Hartenstein, but Portland drafted Collins last summer, and he's basically a better Hartenstein...hard to see them having much interest in him, for me at least.

#124 Vivi, Aug 20, 2018
    Last edited: Aug 20, 2018
    craguin likes this.
  5. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

Because there are no plural forms for those words in the English language. It’s probably common usage thing and feels weird to say or “make a word” up to fit the plural tense. Not saying it should be said one way or the other by it makes sense why people don’t say “heats” or “thunders”.

hakeem94 likes this.
  6. elmotsangtt

elmotsangtt Member

Buy out and then pick zach Randolph. Now i think our weakest point is in power forward and center side

7. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Melo and tucker will be fine as our power forwards. I expect melo to play center sometimes too. We still need to find an Ariza replacement!

luckyman76 likes this.
  8. j@amc

j@amc Member

Not that CF is a grammar website, but this problem is much bigger than adding an “s.” It's fairly common in the US (and around the world) for mascots to be singular. If you don't believe me, check out this nice list of major sports teams on Quora.

Grammar Girl has a nice discussion of this problem and a few tips on writing, but the last thing that you'd want to do is start adding an "s" to singular mascot titles. All the style guides explain that you have to go with what the mascot actually is. They are the Stanford Cardinal, even if you don't like it.

Most team names are plural, such as the Lakers and the Timberwolves, and both the Associated Press and the Chicago Manual of Style recommend treating all team names as plural even when they sound singular. So if you’re following AP or Chicago style, you’d write that “the Jazz are in the playoffs” and “the Thunder are in the playoffs.”

If that sounds too weird to you, you can always use the city or state name instead of the team name because cities and states take a singular verb. So instead of saying, "The Jazz are in the playoffs,” you could say, “Utah is in the playoffs,” just as you’d say, “Los Angeles is in the playoffs” and “Minnesota is in the playoffs.”

[​IMG] from Mignon Fogarty , Grammar Girl

Learn something everyday.

And hey, at least this isn't another Melo thread :)

mfastx likes this.
  9. j@amc

j@amc Member

Back to basketball: the Heat owe over $152 million next season (that’s $2 million more than the Thunder). The most expensive payroll in the league.

They may not want Anderson, but they can’t stand stilll.

Deuce, Williamson and jch1911 like this.
  10. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

There are plural forms of those words, they're just the same word. "I'm hearing a lot of Thunder out there." "I don't know how to do Magic," etc..

11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

How do Presti and Riley get so much love? Presti in particular because at least Riley has a safe full of rings. To think those teams have the highest payrolls in the NBA is just absurd. Neither of them are contenders.

BigShasta likes this.
  12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Does anyone here worry about the mental health of Ryno?

I know I don't.

13. Williamson

For 20 million a year he can afford therapy.

Rashmon likes this.
  14. Zoplicone

Zoplicone Member

Presti did put together a team of Durant Westbrook Harden Ibaka Reggie Jackson. I know I know he traded away Harden but you can’t say he’s not a good GM. Andre and Steven Adams weren’t picked in the top 10 either I don’t believe.

Riley’s just suffering now because that’s what happens when you build a team around Lebron and then he leaves and you refuse to tank. Also they didn’t exactly catch a break with Bosh’s health.

DreamShook likes this.
  15. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

No one wants RYNO according to EVERYONE - or at least his contract.

DD

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, but RYNO is in EVERYONE

17. Williamson

I absolutely can say he's not a bad GM. In fact, I'll say it again. He's a bad GM. Dude didn't just trade away Harden. He traded him away to keep Kendrick Perkins and Serge Ibaka (and, for that matter, Russell Westbrook). It could be argued they would have beaten the Warriors and hoisted the trophy had he not done that. In that case, he also would have likely kept Kevin Durant; it isn't often the best player on a championship team leaves in free agency.

Oh and he also traded Oladipo for peanuts too. The best you can say about Presti is he has a good record in the draft. Cool. Make him head scout.

And that's not the only reason Riley is suffering. Les Alexander and Morey refused to tank too. They still built a contender (that would definitely be a championship team in damn near any era but the Warriors era already). The Heat are in the place they are because they've handed out a lot of bad contracts. Morey isn't perfect (see Ryan Anderson) but the bulk of the contracts he has handed out have either been good value or he moved off them quickly. What he hasn't done is things like just throwing Capela a max or caving into matching a max offer for Chandler Parsons. The Heat threw the max at Hassan Whiteside and have lots of other over-paid contracts. Riley has done his thing in this league, no doubt. But I wonder if he's past his prime or out of touch with where the league has gone. He definitely doesn't manage the cap like he should and valuing Whiteside the way he did was very questionable then and even more questionable now.

DreamShook likes this.
  18. roslolian

roslolian Member

No I'm saying we don't need to get a guy that can beat the Warriors IN EXCHANGE for Anderson, that's a pipe dream Anderson is one of the worst contracts in the league how are you gonna get a great player in exchange?

People think we are gonna get Jimmy Butler or Batum straight up for Anderson LOL.

19. roslolian

roslolian Member

Ryan Anderson's playoff average is 5.7 pts, 36% FG and 32% 3 pt. What do you mean defining a guy by his last playoff game? He has always sucked in the playoffs.

You accuse others of just defining players by their last playoff game but don't even look up the player's playoff history.

We don't need Anderson in the regular season, we got enough good forwards in the regular season and he won't help Cp3 or Harden get rest in the regular season either. I'd rather give his mins in the regular season to Hartenstein or Qi so we can see if they are good or not rather than waste it on regular season Ryno who would be useless in the playoffs.

20. DonKnock

DonKnock Member

Pause

DreamShook likes this.