1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Healthy Yao or Healthy Dwight Howard?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by typhooonn, Jan 11, 2013.

?

Healthy Yao or Healthy D Howard?

1. I would pick healthy Yao in my team

88.3%
  2. I would pick healthy D Howard in my team

10.4%
  3. No idea

1.3%
  1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

There were 3 options, as I see it:

1. Play him big minutes, and he'll (very probably) get injured.
    2. Put a hard cap on his minutes, and (maybe) he helps and (maybe) he doesn't get injured
    3. Ask him to retire

The Rockets chose option 2. Would you have preferred options 1 or 3?

2. rolyat93

rolyat93 Contributing Member

[​IMG]

3. NotApollo33

NotApollo33 Member

Yao is deadly offensively.

Dwight, I mean you cant rely on him in the 4th quarter. I mean seriously how you gonna pound the ball inside to him with the game on the line. The guy's just gonna put him to the free throw line. I mean if he cant shoot in clutch situations in the regular season, hows he gonna shoot in the playoffs.

4. apollo33

apollo33 Member

I think people don't realize Dwight's team success with the Magic was because of SVG's system too. They literally surrounded with deadly three point shooters in every single position so opponents can't double him in the post. I remember the Magic lead the NBA for like 2-3 seasons and they pretty much lived and died by that.

I think if you insert Yao in that system he could make the finals too.

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Dwight was a much more dangerous roll man on those high PnR plays because of his ability to catch and finish (including lobs). That's what made the Magic so dangerous. The defenders had to sink into the lane to help, which left the shooters open.

Maybe Yao would also thrive in that system, but it would have to be in a different way. Instead of the threat being his roll to the basket, it would be the entry pass to him in the post. But that brings another challenge -- finding players who can effectively feed him the ball. Its not as easy as it sounds.

6. Krizzle

Krizzle Member

7. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

Howard. In his prime, he seemed to find a way to positively impact the game no matter if his shots were falling or not. Yao had too many disappearing acts on both ends of the floor at the same time.

8. MambaJoe

MambaJoe Member

Is this a joke? Even though Yao was always hit with injuries, he plays his heart out and will do whatever he can to win. Yao would help his teammates and others whenever he has a chance to. Also, Yao worked hard on his game every summer to improve different aspects of his game.

While Dwight Howard who has not improve on anything for the past few years and believes that by dunking on people is enough. IMO, Howard doesn't care about winning, he cares more about fame and money. Dwight is selfish and self-centered. His actions lately has really show the world the type of person he is.

9. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Yao and Dwights head-to-head stats should answer this question quite easily. I mean not even close. You can use Dwights defensive athleticism as the only argument, and Yao's defensive efficiency couldnt be quantified in just blocked shots, because he changed an insane amount just by standing in the paint. Yao's offensive arsenal was a thing of beauty, and for a man of that size to do what he did is nothing short of amazing. one of the most unique athletes in history really. I was praying he could have a ilgauskas kind of recovery, but it was not to be.

10. SuperStar

SuperStar Member

If only Yao was able to play traditional centers all 82 games he would be great.

11. proudfoot

proudfoot Member

Yao. The skill levels are fairly close, but thats not the big issue.

But Yao was a team player - he put up a good showing almost every night - and was by all accounts, coachable. Dwight Howard is a massive dramabomb by comparison.

12. AXG

AXG Member

Yao is much more skilled and dominant player offensively especially during the three-year stretch '06-'08. The only real advantage Howard has is rebounding, but Yao also had better rebounding 4s in Hayes and Scola compared to Lewis or Turkoglu.

13. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

They are/were both pretty flawed centers. I would make a choice between the two based on what kind of players/system was built around them.

14. Shaud

Shaud Member

Lol @ people saying an Healthy Yao is better than Dwight and it's not close.

Even if you say Yao was better it still is close.

I'd pick Dwight you know the guy who has led his team deep in to the playoffs multiple times. I guess it helps that Dwight was in the East gut oh well can't change that.

15. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

YAO vs D12

Pros for Yao
    - Defensive presence just being in around the rim
    - Great midrange game
    - Good post game
    - Good footwork
    - CAN MAKE FREETHROWS
    - Is Clutch in crunch time
    - Game does not rely on athleticism
    - Draws double teams
    - Great passer

Pros for Dwight
    - "Defensive Monster"
    - Automatic Alley Oop Machine
    - Rebounds extremely well
    - Always looks to attack the basket
    - Draws double teams

I would say Yao all day long. Dwight is a great player and all, but he doesnt come close to the greatness of Yao.

16. johnstarks

johnstarks Member

I'm pretty sure we would've gotten pretty deep if we were in the east. And I'm pretty sure the Magic would've had a tough time in the west.

I think for regular season games, Dwight is better--he was more durable, could play more minutes, etc. But in the playoffs, when the game slows down and people lock down on defense, having a dominant low post player that needed to be doubled every time, plus could pick and pop from the outside and hit free throws, it isn't really close.

17. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

whatever zboy, how about you only have Juwan Howard to built around Yao/Dwight?

18. FadeAway_Dreams

What does Juwan have to do with anything?
    Zboy is right in saying that both players have major flaws. What exactly is the situation the poll is asking about? Are they playing one on one? Are we supposed to be building a team or adding them to an existing team? Given the vague terms then the situation they are in would have great influence on which one would perform better.

Yao is a discouraging presence at the rim due to sheer size even ignoring any defensive ability. Dwight is quicker, faster and more athletic and would be a great weak side help but due to his lack of good footwork he falls off in the one on one situations against other strong centers. Howard's athleticism grants him the ability to better attack the basket but then comes up short on the foul line. Yao may not attack the basket as effectively but his shooting touch gives him an advantage not only at the stripe but at mid range.

Comparing simple base abilities this could be a wash. Its not until you factor in contributing details that one is greatly better than the other. Even then, we are back to discussing those details. Skill set vs. skill set I'd take Yao. Current Rockets team I'd take Dwight. Game on the line with a final offensive posession, Yao. Defensive posession, Dwight.

1 person likes this.
  19. typhooonn

typhooonn Member

Hey brother, I mentioned that no solely due to basketball reasons, but also because Zboy has some relationship with Juwan.

20. Mariachi ROCKET