1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Heads up] JVG about to join the Dan Patrick Show

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tigermission1, Jun 13, 2007.

Tags:
  1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

JVG picked Dream over Ewing because of accomplishment, rings

Took Ewing to win one game but because he had more experiance with him as a player, Barry took Hakeem

2. thacabbage

thacabbage Contributing Member

jvg with his first error. we had 58 wins in '94 not 55. he just now blamed losing the '94 title to us on patrick missing one game to concede the homecourt. wrong.

3. #1draftpik

#1draftpik Member

:mad:
    JVG said he would take Ewing over Hakeem in one game, only because he knew Ewing better :rolleyes:

JB gladly took Hakeem

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

It was clearly out of obligation, debt, and respect though. For those who didnt hear it live and in context.

5. GRENDEL

Exactly, sorry if I didn't convey that correctly.

6. thacabbage

that was short, but damn that was good.

7. GRENDEL

I agree it was an excellent interview

8. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

He has the best nationally-syndicated show in the business. He ALWAYS has tons of NBA talk, because he's a big fan. He's the best interviewer there is and everyone wants to come on his show to do it because he's friends or worked with lots of those guys (connections, basically). He had a string of three days during that whole Suns-Spurs controversy in the second round where Barkley and Reggie Miller would call in to the show to chime in.

It's the only show I can't miss on any given day...

#28 tigermission1, Jun 13, 2007
    Last edited: Jun 13, 2007
  9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Thanks for the recap, guys. Interesting stuff.

10. tigermission1

tigermission1 Contributing Member

Completely agree. You had to listen in and JVG's hesitation and 'body language' (whatever I could discern from the radio) pretty much gave away the fact that he knows Dream was better, but felt compelled to go with Ewing.

11. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

you never know...

12. GRENDEL

I bought the Clutch City box set this weekend and have been watching the games, only at game 2 right now, and they were very close match ups that could have gone either way throughout

13. ooliverb1

ooliverb1 Member

Is this true? I did not realize that...

14. ballaboy

ballaboy Member

JVG knows his numbers. I never doubt him.

But yeah, he said Ewing as lip-service. You ask Rudy who's better, Drexler or Kobe, he'd probably say Drexler. You ask him who he'd take, Parker or Francis, he'd probably say Francis. I'd be ticked if one of my favorite coaches said that some other random guy who he never had from 10 years ago was better than me.

15. ballaboy

ballaboy Member

What happened to the other threads?

16. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

5th year:

Olajuwon
    24.8 ppg, 13.5 rpg, 1.8 apg, 2.6 spg, 3.4 bpg

Yao
    25.0 ppg, 9.4 rpg, 2.0 apg, 0.4 spg, 2.0 bpg

Yao is technically better in scoring and assists. But Hakeem is way better in rebounding, steals, and blocked shots.

What's interesting is that Hakeem had been a 20+ ppg scorer right from the rookie year and did not have a huge improvement since, until his peak years in the mid-90s. Yao improved significantly every year.

17. thacabbage

one thing i forgot to add:

talking about reggie miller's 25 point fourth quarter against the knicks, dan patrick said that pat riley blames jvg for that because it was his assignment to draw up the defense against reggie.

jeff responded to this by saying something like "well, it wasnt the only time ive been blamed for something. that just happened in houston."

18. topfive

topfive CF OG

Keep in mind that by his 5th year, (H)Akeem was the definite first option on this team. Except during T-Mac injury time, Yao has never been the first option for the Rox.

19. Mav-Hater

Mav-Hater Contributing Member

As Yao is allowed to stay in the paint more this season, I think you will see his Rebounds and Blocks go up provided RAD doesn't have him gaurding the perimeter. He will never have the steals numbers of Dream. Quickest hands and feet ever to play the position

20. doublehh03

doublehh03 Member

i actually love this. i hope some reporter bring it up to him that a former teammate said that. that's as big a diss in the face as it can be.