1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Headline: “JEFF VAN GUNDY FIRED!!!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Old Man Rock, May 5, 2007.

1. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Trading a second banana for another second banana? BRILLIANT!

2. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I guess it's possible that JVG is gone. I don't think it matters much. It's the TMac/Yao tandem that has hit its ceiling, in my opinion. Yeah, Van Gundy couldn't get the job done. I guess we may as well give someone else a shot but I can't think of anyone who's available who'd do a better job. I guess any coach getting booted from the first round for the NEXT three years is as good as any other, though.

3. GRAYsquirrel

GRAYsquirrel Member

ARE YOU KIDDING ME?!? YOU ARE IN TOTAL DENIAL!!! :rolleyes:

JVG HAD SOME PRETTY DECENT ROLE PLAYERS TO WORK WITH. BUT HE LEFT BONZI, V-SPAN, NOVAK, SNYDER, ETC. ON THE BENCH COLLECTING DUST.

HE REFUSED TO GO OUTSIDE HIS 8-MAN ROTATION. HE DID NOT TAKE ANY CHANCES WITH YOUNGER PLAYERS, HE ONLY WANTED TO SAVE HIS LOUSY JOB SO HE PLAYED THE $HIT OUT OF HIS STARTERS.

AND NOBODY, NOBODY, CAN SAY THAT THE JVG HAD A HUGE HAND IN THE WHOLE BONZI WELLS SAGA. AND THOSE SAME PEOPLE CANNOT SAY THAT BONZI WELLS WOULD'VE MADE A DIFFERENCE IN THIS SERIES...CREATE HIS OWN SHOT, TOUGHNESS, REBOUNDS, DEFENSE, ETC. SICKENING.

4 YEARS WITH NO RESULTS AND 2 NEAR-SUPERSTARS AND A SUPPORTING CAST THAT HE HELPED CHOOSE!!!

COMPLETE AND UTTER FAILURE FROM JVG.

COMPLETE AND TOTAL LOSER.

GOOD BYE.

4. BroadwayBelm

BroadwayBelm Member

I thought that was just battier and whoever the other was not wanting to foul Williams, I would never have thought JVG was specifically like don't foul Williams....

Did I miss something on the sideline?? If not, there no way that's JVG's fault.

5. sabonis

sabonis Contributing Member

It had to be a Van Gundy directive. I just don't see the players not fouling.

I've never been pro or con Van Gundy, but his decision not to foul immediately with 10 seconds left was a piss-poor move. At that juncture, you need to save as much time as possible to give your team as many chances as possible and not gamble with time you don't have.

Stuart

6. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

you don't think kg could have defender boozer better, got more rebounds, and made fewer turnovers?

7. hatemavs4life

hatemavs4life Member

C'mon man, this offense is OFFENSIVE with JVG! We are embarrassing in our offensive sets. We almost look like most of the time we don't even know what the hell to do with the ball. We get most points out of accidental, helter skelter mode. I STILL hate Utah but there is no disputing who was the better team. One team talked about getting there and one did. No excuses. Game 7 everything on the line and your boys sleep walk through the first half? Where was the f**kin passion? Absolutely pathetic! It's time for a change at the top.

Sorry, it is what it is ...

8. cdxiong

cdxiong Contributing Member

JVG will be gone. That is the only positive comes out of this loss.

9. Panda

Panda Member

I think JVG only muttered "well...I don't ....um... what time is it... oh... so" to his guys in the last seconds.

10. TMac640

TMac640 Contributing Member

See, that's what I've been thinking too. Anyone's free to correct me or enlighten me if I'm wrong, but how is this really JVG's fault?

Maybe I really really don't understand the dynamics of how much a coach impacts a lineup such as ours and can learn something from this board.

Would Phil Jackson, Larry Brown, etc "REALLY" have made a difference?

Could these same coaches take essentially a 6 or 7 rotation deep team and turn them into championship contenders?

How would these same coaches compensate for just a complete lack of a formidable bench?

I'm being serious because I've never understood calling for a coaches head especially when it's not warranted in my opinion.

11. beyao

beyao Contributing Member

BRING IN ADELMAN!!

12. jmejia

jmejia Contributing Member

Without a doubt. He can also defend more than one player at the same time. He could defend Duncan, Amare, and Nowitzki.

13. Panda

Panda Member

So when will JVG be hold responsible for his faults, when he takes off his pants and pee on the court?

14. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

I feel your pain

so many things and some people are still in denial

sad

15. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

This will be my first JVG bash. I have supported him to the last. It is now the last. He needs to go. His ability to wield two dominant players into an offense that is second worst in the league is pathetic. I appreciate him teaching our players D...Look at Detroit a few yrs ago..they lost their D coach..got an O one....still played crappy 'O but still played good D and won one...I don't know....I'm just ****ing pissed. We have more talent than that ****ty Utah team. I know I am now rooting for the GSW to win it all!!!!!

16. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Of course Garnett could have. But my question to you is: When was the last time Garnett performed like a clutch player in the playoffs?

17. slothy420

slothy420 Paper Street Soap Co.

Hilarious. Fire him please!

18. jmejia

jmejia Contributing Member

I'm just sayin, we shouldn't even be talking about JVG. Everyone here knows that he is done here. We should be talking about bringing in a new point, and power forward. Personally I think we should pursue the best point free agent in the market that can create for himself. TMAC, Bibby, Garnett, Hayes, Battier.

19. Downtown

Downtown Contributing Member

The simple truth is that it is time for a change in the style of leadership and direction of this team...

20. TMac#1

TMac#1 Member

There is no way you can renew a coach after he has blown 2-0 leads twice. two of the best offensive players in the game, and we grind them to a halt and it is a complete struggle to get a decent shot. It is a Yao or tmac shot or a jacked up 3. That offense is BS, no team in the NBA struggles to get shots or score like we do, and we have 2 stud offensive players, we should be able to put up 105+ every night. JVGs big defense is overrated also, defense is just effort, we dont need a coach for that.

I'd bring in Larry Brown or Adelman, or maybe Phoenix's top assistant.