1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Head or Francis?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by durvasa, Oct 19, 2007.

?

Who'll get more minutes in rotation?

1. Luther Head

199 vote(s)
    34.2%
  2. Steve Francis

383 vote(s)
    65.8%
  1. Alvin Choo

Alvin Choo Member

why are we comparing head n SF3, head is a more similar type of player to James.

2. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

What's being compared is playing time in the rotation, not style. Both Luther and SF are behind MJ in the rotation so the comparison is appropriate.

3. tsunami

tsunami Member

SF3 exchange for a future 2nd round pick??

4. Coca Cola Scola

Actually, I think Rafer's minutes should eventually be reduced. He can help us with the ballhandling and get a steady hand, but at some point in the game we'd get more of a scoring punch from Francis and James. If anything Francis and James would be taking minutes away from Rafer when they get more comfortable. We're just focusing on the preseason....but some players can look good in the preseason but can't turn it on in the playoffs. Francis has the talent to turn it up several notches, so I'd like to see us at least make a concerted effort to get him in here. What's the point in trading him? He's worth more to us potentially than anything we could get back.....and I don't really want us to be sending a bad message that free agents who sign for less money here can be so easily tossed aside. Since Head has that special skill that sets him apart from most of the team, he's going to get minutes. Francis minutes might be like a roller coaster. I agree that there could be a huge payoff in the playoffs if we can integrate Francis. Francis ability to attack the rim, create his own shot and rebound can be big for us.
    A Francis, Head and Bonzi unit can be pretty good....Bonzi in the post, Francis slashing and Head spreading the floor.

5. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

actually, Francis is still very much the player he "once was". he showed he still has his hops, and he showed he still has no bball IQ :D

6. mzymmm

mzymmm Rookie

At least SF3's stats don't drop like Head did in play-offs. Luther Head is a like Dirk but much worse....

I would rather have SF3 in June than Head.

7. Coca Cola Scola

Yeah, Francis doesn't look that much different from the last time I saw him. :D The good and the bad. He's part spectacular and frustrating all in one game. One thing I don't worry about him is that he won't compete. Int he playoffs, I have no doubt that he would really bring it.....even if one out of every 3 possessions, you shake your head. We need guys like him and Bonzi who are pressure game warriors.

8. Seven

Seven Contributing Member

Please....have you guys seen the games? Francis looks bad. He's disrupting the entire system and I haven't seen him cut once while he was in there. He looks confused even more than Novak last year. It doesn't look like he'll be a good fit, but we'll see. Head all the way right now.

9. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

people like francis for those reasons yet they hate james for those reasons. can u say double standard? im much more comfortable with james than francis.

10. liangqj

liangqj Member

We have not seen SF3 more in the preseason. James always is the first PG after Alston. I really don't know if he fits for this new system. Just like Seven said:" I haven't seen him cut once while he was in there". Is that means Adelman is thinking about how to use SF3 effectively?

11. rofflesaurus

rofflesaurus Member

Adelman's offense is a "read and react" offense. if Francis can't cut then it's his own fault for not knowing how to move w/o the ball better.

12. cjstukenholtz

cjstukenholtz Member

Yep, that's what I said. I just simply feel that any team that gets him would be said to be taking a chance on him, given his past record with all of the other head coaches he played for since Rudy T stepped down from the Rockets in 2003. Just think, he's been bounced around ever since.

I do want to acknowledge that trading him for a future 2nd round pick was something that was unthinkable just a few years ago, but now, I consider it thinkable since he is more on the down side of his career. His ability to break down a defense, penetrate, and attack the rim are the strengths he still has, but his basketball IQ is lousy along with the fact that he has to dribble the ball too much to be as effective as he can be.

If the offense stalls too much when he is put in the game by RA, turns the ball over too much, or if he just can't play without the ball in the offense, then I could see RA not keeping him in the game very long, and could find himself in RA's doghouse.

13. cmcortese

cmcortese Contributing Member

Right now I see more from Luther. Luther just looks quicker to me.
    SF looks like he has more highlight potential, but Luther looks, right now, to be the more solid player.

But SF is more solid physically speaking, which helps him in taking it to the hole and rebounding - in both those areas he is the superior player.
    I expect SF's value to go up in the playoffs. SF is definitely hungry and has something to prove. I expect him to carry us during 5 or 10 minute stretches to keep us in important games. I expect SF to prove his value. We'll be very happy that we have both.

14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

this is premature. we don't know how well either are going to play in the regular season. screw the preseason.

neither of these guys are the 'Bobby Jackson' guy yet.

15. Coca Cola Scola

True that. Lutehr automatically will get some minutes because he's the ying to other scorer's yang. We have a smorgasboard of guys that can score, but few (actually none) with his accuracy. I think right now Francis is just facing learning a new offense that forces him to unlearn some of his past habits...similar to the way Scola has to do with all the moving screens, camping out in the lane.... You can mentally know something, but it takes a while to make it instincitve. If and when Steve can pick up the offense and adapt to the team, he can really carry us offensively for long stretches at a time. Even as people are criticizing his game, he's still coming in and providing instant offense. At the very least, Adelman can just have Francis take it to the hole and rebound...those are things he's defintiely great at. I can see us with guys like Bonzi, Francis, Socla and James getting hot at times and carrying us offensively.

16. Yao4REAL

Yao4REAL Member

If Steve play like Head and stop jacking up shot...then he WILL GET more minutes but if he dominate the ball....and don't play team ball...then he don't deserve much minutes.

17. liangqj

liangqj Member

Yes, that is cut and down. I don't think SF3 can't cut.

18. Coca Cola Scola

I don't think Francis or James have looked particularly comfortable. James dribbles the ball a lot and jacks up shots too. But, they're both good players and they just need time to adjust to a completely new offense.

19. hittal

hittal Member

obviously,no doubt!

20. Barkley

Barkley Member

I'd pick FRancis. He has played in this leauge for a longer time. I like this player, I like his agressivness. He can take to the basket every time he wants that's why he's better.

Luther is of course a perfect shooter. But only a shooter. We still have Mike James, Alston and T-Mac who can hit from the outside, especially James. Francis also can do that.