1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HDTV] AT&T U-verse vs. Comcast vs. Direct TV

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by garthomps, Jan 6, 2008.

1. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Has anyone else who has U-Verse in the Houston area been having problems with it freezing up periodically since the hurricane? It was really bad right after the hurricane, but it still happens to me at random times (although it has consistently happened during Texans games, which makes me think the overload of people watching might be too much or something). I'm just curious because the last time I called them for some tech support, I waited on the phone for like 30 minutes before I could talk to somebody. They were quite helpful then, but I don't want to wait if I can avoid it.

So, anyone else have this problem?

2. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

Not necessarilly. Mine was installed using cat 5 cable, bypassing the coax altogether. I think they can do it either way.

Raven Lunatic, I don't seem to have that trouble but maybe you could restart the box (hold the power button on the box down for 5 seconds and see if that helps).

3. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

oh my lord, don't tell me this!!!! they're coming friday to install!!!!!

4. Lonestar28

Lonestar28 Member

I have not had this problem. In fact, my service never went out after Ike.

5. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I just got U-verse Friday. Not many glitches since the install. The only problem I've had is Channel 2 shows in HD don't seem as sharp as all the other HD. I don't think it's a U-verse problem, because no other channels have the problem. Everything else is great.

6. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

I've tried power cycling both the cable box and the cable modem that also seems to effect the TVs. I guess I'll bite the bullet and call them the next time it starts giving me trouble. Luckily the Rockets game last night was not effected.

7. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Same here, install on Friday...my parents have U-Verse and have had zero problems since Ike.

8. Rockets007

Rockets007 Contributing Member

Well during Ike, cable didn't work but the Dish never went down. Even during the peak of the storm, Dish was still working!!

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

No problems in Katy, Raven. Have you had the U-Verse peeps do a diagnostics "are you working ok" type test on your equipment? :confused:

When was the last time you held the power button for 5 seconds on each receiver? Try it weekly. :eek:

10. BiGGieStuFF

BiGGieStuFF Contributing Member

I didn't see The Tennis Channel on U-verse. :(.

11. RunninRaven

Supporting Member

As I mentioned in my last post, I have power cycled...many, many times. It might help temporarily but it always starts freezing up again. I suspect the problem is in my cable modem. It somehow effects what the cable boxes receive. And all three of my TVs do the same thing so I doubt my cable boxes are all failing in the same way at the same time. The next time it happens to me I'll call them and ask them to diagnose it. Last night I didn't have any issues.

12. LonghornFan

Fawk YOU, Comcrap!!!

I had U-Verse installed today, and after figuring out the wireless port for torrents, all I can say is BWAHAHAAH! What a joke that company is!

I'm getting 1.5 MB DL speeds, over 250 kB/s up, and every channel known to man including ALL premiums, plus HD and DVR service to all rooms for $13 more than I was paying for their **** service, and I had ZERO premium channels with them. The digital channels look beyond awesome compared to Comcraps analog channels, and the higher tier internet speeds just ROCK!

Also, since the guy who installed everything was an hour late, I called and received $40 off of my bill for the first 6 months, and visits by a tech do not cost me $39.99. It's FREE.

Good riddance you **** breed!!!

My internet speeds are unbelievable! *HAPPY DANCE*

DIE, DIE, DIE you money grubbing down the hole b****es!

13. Coach AI

Coach AI Contributing Member

What exactly was the bundle/package you signed up for? How much was it?

14. macalu

macalu Contributing Member

do you guys cancel before or after you decide to switch? how long does it take for a uverse tech to get out there and install. i'd hate to cancel comcast today and have no cable for a week.

15. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

As per the other thread, I've made the same switch. Two days ago, AT&T came out and installed the phone service. On October 18th, they will come out and install TV and internet. I have said nothing to Comcast at all and won't until AT&T finishes their installation. The last thing I want to hear is a pitch from Comcast on why I shouldn't leave. Every single person I've spoken to who left Comcast for U-Verse is extremely happy. I will report back in a week.

I got U200, unlimited phone service (long distance included) with all the extra stuff thrown in for free, and Elite (up to 6Mb/sec) internet service for 110.00/month plus about 250.00 in rebates. Oh, and the first month of TV is free.

I scheduled the service about 2 weeks ago which tells you how long it takes. One reason is because I insisted on a Saturday install for TV & internet because it could take several hours.

16. LonghornFan

I signed up for the full package via the internet as they have the best deal there. I wanted everything, which is the 400 package plus HD and the highest speed internet at 10mb down and 1.5 up.

I do admit that Comcast has better HD feeds "as of now", but I've read that's gonna change soon. Being able to DVR in one room and watch from any TV in the house from the one DVR rocks. I was paying around $169.00 a month for Comcast with no premiums and the lowest internet speed available.

I'm now paying around $185.00 for EVERY channel available, including all HD's, every premium channel and the highest speed internet. My net is blazing fast now! Going from anaolog to digital TV is also totally nice!

I scheduled my appointment two weeks ago. The tech showed up an hour late, so I called AT&T and received $40 off of my bill for the first 6 months due to this. I will be canceling Comcast tomorrow after the UT/OU game. Screw them in their asses. Money grubbing b****es.

Also, $250.00 in rebates is nice!

17. MadMax

MadMax Contributing Member

Guy showed up yesterday...everything is ready to go....but there's some technical problem so he'll be back this morning to actually hook us up.

Thanks for the heads up on the $40 rebate for them screwing up my order :)

18. oomp

oomp Contributing Member

I got the 400 package too. I've been filling my DVR up with all the HD movies available. I have the 6 down internet but will probably upgrade next year.

As for cancelling, I turned in all my equipment the day before the U-verse install and put in the disconnect order that day. Technically there was an overlap of just a few days that way.

19. RocketJedi

RocketJedi Member

I cancelled the day of my install. The U-verse guy was here in the morning, and the Comcast guy came to pick up my boxes that afternoon. It's been so superior to Comcast there is simply no comparison, IMO.

20. russian88

russian88 Contributing Member

uverse > anything and everything. DON'T even THINK about getting com(n)cast!