1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HDTV] AT&T U-verse vs. Comcast vs. Direct TV

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by garthomps, Jan 6, 2008.

1. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

Hmm, that is significant. AT&T's package deals seem, at least on the surface, to be more economical than cable. Do U-Verse's package deals include phone service?

2. Yao Wink

Yao Wink Member

Is this something new? On the U-Verse website, it says:

One HD and three standard-definition (SD) channels, or four SD channels, can be recorded or viewed simultaneously.

3. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

Direct TV users:

Looking at the Direct TV site they show a bunch of different packages. For example, the PREMIUM pkg is $81 for 12 months. The lowest pkg starts at $29.99...again for 12 months.

How much do they jack up the prices after 12 months? And they how often and how much do they increase it after that?

I got a mailing from Direct TV offering 4 months FREE on their premium pkg. Free installation. Free hd dvr/receiver. But how mcuh are they going to jack it up afterwards?

I guess that's the main reason why I'm wary of switching from cable. I do like the fact that they offer a ton more HD channels.

4. duwende

duwende Member

Yes that site needs to be updated. Not all sites have 2 HD/2 SD, but Houston does.

Houston u-verse also has new HD channels: Sci Fi, Bravo, MSNBC, USA, and multiple NBC channels in time for the Olympics to get every single event covered.

5. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

I hate this thread, because U-Verse is not available in my area yet. Does anyone know where exactly in Houston its available?

6. JeopardE

The U-Verse web site can tell you if it is available at your address.

7. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

yeah, I know, it's not in my area yet. I'm curious as to which areas it is in, though.

8. Lonestar28

Lonestar28 Member

Be careful with their site. It told me Uverse was not available in my area. I called and it turns out that it was available in my area (Spring/Klein). You might want to give them a call just to make sure.

9. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

Yeah, he needs to call. That database to search addresses is rarely updated. I have 200 channels+ the sports package+HD+phone for about 130 a month. That is before fees and taxes and all that jazz.

10. Harrisment

Harrisment Member

I think the premium package is something like $115/month with directV. I actually have the same deal right now that they are offering new customers, the premium package/nfl sunday ticket deal. I've been with them for about 8 years though and usually if i call and ask for the latest deal, they'll give it to me. :)

I've always been happy with their service, and the fact that they have more HD AND the Sunday Ticket are the main selling points for me.

11. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

JeopardE, JayZ, some areas might be an entire zip code, and some might be some city limits. Just have them check it locally when you call them from your phone.

dskillz, I've been able to record 2 HDs at once with my u-Verse, but just hadn't reported it to anyone, 'cuz I thought I was getting something I wasn't supposed to. :D

EDIT: I was just able to set up my TV REMOTE DVR to record the MLB All-Star -AND- NOVA both on HD on separate channels while I am at a conference in Vegas, so it works... if the DVR remote with Yahoo! works, then there's no problem! :eek:

https://login.yahoo.com/config/login_verify2?.done=http://u-versetv.sbc.yahoo.com/

#51 SwoLy-D, Jul 15, 2008
    Last edited: Jul 15, 2008
  12. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

LOL, yeah they did a silent rollout. The "watching DVR in any room of the house" one is going to be a silent one as well.

13. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

since i'm getting u-verse at my new apartment, does anyone know how many hours the u-verse DVRs hold - SD and HD? i used to have the pamphlet that said but it probably got thrown away.

14. JeopardE

I think I'm definitely going U-Verse now. U300 + Pro Internet sounds like a great deal. Much better value especially with the amount of TV content delivered (For pretty much the same price I get everything Comcast offers + Starz, TMC & Showtime).

15. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

So I wonder if every package goes up $25 bucks after the first year?

16. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

What are the U-Verse DSL highest package speeds? I might switch to U-Verse for TV, but now that Comcast has unloaded the beast of UL/DL speeds I'm reluctant to switch on the internet side.

17. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

I just got it recently. I think the guy said 24 hours HD and 120 hours SD.

18. CometsWin

The highest is 10Mbps d/l and 1.5Mbps u/l for $55.

https://uverse1.att.com/un/LSSelectStateForDMASwitchingAction.do

19. CometsWin

Well it says this on the site. Go figure.

DVR holds 133 hours of SD (Standard Definition) content or 37 hours of HD (High Definition)

20. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

Since when? When they installed mine (maybe 2-3 months ago) they said that upgrade would come along at some time, and that they would notify folks when it did. If this is true then I need to call and get the fixed.