1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HDTV] AT&T U-verse vs. Comcast vs. Direct TV

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by garthomps, Jan 6, 2008.

1. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Samsung 84 series is incredible.

2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I just ordered a Samsung 52" 1080p LCD (LNT5281FX) yesterday. Should be here next week. I'm ****ing giddy :)

3. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

Not true. They actually just started carrying the Scientific Atlanta HD boxes with HDMI. I have one, and it's not a DVR box.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but with U-Verse you can only watch HD on one tv at a time.

4. jtotheb

jtotheb Contributing Member

I know this is getting off topic, but those Samsung LCD's are incredible. I have a 46" 1080p with the 15,000:1 contrast ratio and I love it.

5. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I have the first 46" 1080p Sammy that came out, it's going up in the game room, and I love it. The new one has 120 Hz and the LED back lighting. I can't freaking wait.

We bought the 46" when we were still in the apartment and while it's ok in the living room, we could definitely go bigger in there. I wanted the 57" but it cost twice as much.

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

You are right on both counts, sir. :cool: I have these: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/180/437743091_ea12990e1b.jpg , which can do HDMI (here they are on a photo from behind: http://farm1.static.flickr.com/145/437743099_223f172381.jpg) . All uVerse receivers are HD ready.

7. tolne57

tolne57 Contributing Member

You get FSN HD on 1755? I wonder if it's different that 1753, the channel I get.

The Uverse line-up is great and with the latest update I don't have many complaints except the single HD stream! It makes me so :mad: You can't watch one HD channel while recording another. Nor can you two different HD channels on two different TVs at the same time. Ugh. Other than that Uverse has been really stable as of late with pretty good HD quality.

Edit:
    Notice any other benefit from from the Scientific Atlandta boxes?

8. Icehouse

Icehouse Contributing Member

I finally joined the HDTV game (waiting on the TV though) and I currently have Comcast. I'll post an update when the TV comes.

I am waiting on Uverse to come to my area but I guess they don't like 3rd Ward. :(

9. SwoLy-D

I apologize. :eek: You're right, it was 1753, and I didn't watch the game on HD last night, for my girls were watching a recorded show from Disney Chanel on the DVR'd TV.

I have the MOTOROLA DVR and regular boxes for u-Verse. I don't plan on buying a different one just for u-Verse.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

post some pics of your setup!

11. Jackfruit

Jackfruit Contributing Member

For some reason, I get the absolute worst reception with my rabbit ears. I am using the rabbit ears until I can get Comcast out to my new house on Saturday. Basically, I connected the coaxial cable to the back of my TV and I have tried positioning the antenna all over the place. No HD and terrible reception otherwise.

Any suggestions on what I can do to improve reception?

12. Icehouse

I will. I am actually planning the setup and I have a question.

Where can I find tall TV stands...say over 4 feet? I am having 2nd thoughts about mounting my TV because my wall has some type of colored paneling/wood or something over it, and I really don't want to mount something on that.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

I know I could find the stud behind the wall, but when I move I will have to replace that area somewhat, right? Plus then you have to run wires through the wall or add something to the wall to cover them up, and still get shelves or another stand for components. It just seems easier to get a stand..but it needs to be a high one since I have a pool table. I looked at taller audio stands like this one:

http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=6528886#Features+&+Specifications

However store clerks are saying you don't want to put a 40" TV that high up unmounted, etc. I have only been able to locate one tall TV stand (3 feet):

http://www.conns.com/avh636bvs.html

And after reading this thread it looks like I need to get some type of surround sound system. Hopefully I can find a cheaper one (the accountant in me). Some of you guys are ballers!!!! :)

13. Chance

Chance Contributing Member

I get my UVerse Thursday. I did it on the advice of dskills. That and Comcast has frustrated me greatly. I have a weak signal throughout my house and their solutions have sucked.

I'll report on Uverse once it is up and running.

14. tinman

Supporting Member

Stand with built in mount
    http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Z-li...59791/catOid/-12892/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

the question on surround sound is if you and can setup 5-7 speakers, if the lady of the house likes it or not.

if not, you can still get some cool alternatives.

15. Icehouse

Wow, nice stand. 55" so that's almost 5 feet.

There is no lady of the house so I can put speakers wherever I want. ;) Plus it's a gameroom anyway. What do quality surround sounds usually run.

Some of you guys seem to have some pretty fancy stuff. For those wed, how did you even get the ladies to cosign?

16. TreeRollins

TreeRollins Contributing Member

You can get an amplified antenna but it probably won't be worth the $40 if you are getting cable on saturday.

17. SwoLy-D

He doesn't have to pay $40 for an amplified antenna. There are some like this one that don't cost more than $20, and more like the RCA and Zenith brands at Wal Mart (go there to see them) that don't cost more than $30. Jackfruit, it's worth getting one of those to get PBS HD and the local weather sweeps that uVerse doesn't offer. Right now, I use the rabbit ears to record PBS stuff I can't record off uVerse. You don't need an expensive one. Basically, if it requires POWER, it is amplified and gets more DBs because it captures more signals. :cool:

18. tinman

Supporting Member

Shopping for audio is like shopping for cars, some people are happy a toyota, some people bmws, some people want ferraris.

my speakers are old and cost $300 back in the day, i think they sound fine to me. I do have a decent receiver - Pioneer.

the audio people consider cheap speaker sets (5 + a sub) to be around $1000.

19. JeopardE

JeopardE Contributing Member

(bump)

I'm moving into my first house this weekend and I've decided I need to adjust the status quo a little bit to save some on bills. I currently have cable for TV (normal gamut of digital channels + HD and sports package, no premiums). and DSL internet through Oplink (a fairly expensive package). I use Vonage for my phone service. I'm trying to determine which combination of services is the best and most cost-effective.

I'm balking at U-verse because I've heard you can only record/watch one HD channel at a time, and that really blows.

I'm currently leaning towards sticking with cable and switching from DSL to cable internet; I don't mind losing the current advantages I have with my DSL package and the speed increase is probably worth it anyway. I would also have the added advantage of not paying AT&T $15/mo for a dial tone. I'm not sure though if getting DirecTV would be more economical. For extra weirdness the house I'm buying comes with a dish installed. Should I stick with my plan?

20. dskillz

dskillz Contributing Member

You can watch/record 2 HD shows at once now on U-Verse if that sways you at all.