1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HDTV ANTENNA NOT WORKING

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by SwoLy-D, Sep 30, 2004.

1. Sattle

Sattle Contributing Member

edc,

The zenith antenna you mentioned in your post is the same one I use. I tried at least 10 different antennas before getting that one. I picked it up at best buy for $15.

2. Sattle

Sattle Contributing Member

I came really close to signing up for Voom a couple of months ago. They were offering free installation and $10 per month rental for the equipment. Since I am still locked in with Directv for the next 7 months, I didn't want to break my contract and pay the $150+ or whatever it is...

I also heard VOOM was having huge problems with gaining new subscribers and they were spending tons $ more than what they were making. I read an article that said at the rate they're going, they will be out of business by 2006. :( I hope not !! VOOM is a great service and will only make the other companies and networks provide more HDTV programming.

3. edc

edc Contributing Member

http://www.emediawire.com/releases/2004/9/emw158048.htm

2006 is optimistic. VOOM has 29K subscribers and dropping (they hoped for 200K by the end of year one). Losses were $100M for the first two quarters of 2004, with an additional $80M loss expected in Q3.

While more HD is a great thing, VOOM's real offerings aren't worth the effort. Lots of "In house" HD channels (which loop frequently). The satellite winner in the HD market will be determined the same way it was in the SD market. Even though they are available over-the-air, that's too much trouble for most. Whoever can offer HD locals for more than half the country will win.

4. tikwanleap

tikwanleap Contributing Member

Yep I got the same antenna. Mine's not Zenith and it's called "Silver Sensor" but it is the same thing. This is probably the best set top antenna you can get.

It is very directional, which works great for me, since all the transmitting towers are basically in one direction from my house.

Channel 51 is the only digital channel that I have trouble receiving. I have to stand on one foot, wiggle my ears and stick my arms out just right, just to get the digital signal. Basically, I can get it after fiddling around for 20-30 minutes with the antenna.

5. lpbman

lpbman Member

the Spice channel in HD

SOLD!

as soon as I get a job anyway

6. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

Of all the people in the world, the clerk at Wal-Mart, YES, the clerk at Wal-Mart, mentioned that the FCC is mandating HD for ALL stations by 2006. If this is true, (unlike rumors that Vince Carter will play for the Rockets, back in 2001) we'll be watching wide-screen stuff at home, because I am ready, baby... !

7. edc

edc Contributing Member

The FCC is mandating Digital television. They want the analogue spectrum back. However, the "deadline" has been extended, and probably will be into the forseeable future.

Incidentally, Digital TV does not mean HD. It is perfectly acceptable for stations to multicast and broadcast only at current resolutions.

8. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

9. SwoLy-D

SwoLy-D Contributing Member

OK, this is a late BUMP, but worth it.

I finally went and bought the US Digital HDTV Receiver at Wal-Mart, and bought an antenna that has about a 45 db boost on the signal. This all happened on Saturday night. I watched Saturday Night Live on HD. AWESOME.

Widescreen resolution is GREAT, the sharpness is unbelievable, and the image is picture-perfect. Yesterday's Astros win over the Hotlanta Braves was on WideScreen HDTV and it looked fabulous. The Monday Night Game was also widescreened HDTV. I got to see the fumble in slow-mo and I didn't have to RE-FOCUS the tv.

There is, however, one bad thing about my antenna and the HDTV receiver. It still can't get KNWS... and it's supposed to be a KATY station, where I am. I can, however, get every channel except for the Spanish 61.

HDTV Rocks. If you have an HDTV-capable TV, go out and get yourself some good receiver.

note to pariah: the URL you supplied is taking a while to load... what's on there?

10. pariah

pariah Contributing Member

It's a cartoon [joke :D] - if it's troublesome, don't worry, pass on downloading it. I thought it was pretty funny though. If you get it to load hit play to launch it.

Thanks for the news on HD. I need to spend a little time at the new Fry's once it opens in Clear Lake. YEAH!!!!

11. Gutter Snipe

Gutter Snipe Contributing Member

That was hilarious...What can I do, oh guru of computer wisdom. :D :D