1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] True Detective: Season 2

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by ryan_98, Jul 11, 2014.

1. 713

713 Member

Hey guys I think Riggins is gay.

2. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

what a ****t episode

ready to give up on this season

3. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

My first impression was that he was constipated or was trying to let out a silent fart.

4. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

To me Frank is a guy out of his element. He's doing things he doesn't want to do anymore. He's not some put together criminal. He's having to reach to do evil. He needed Kasper around to get business deals done. So for me it all works... he comes off a bit awkward because he's not some skilled assassin Tom Cruise would play or something.

Episode 3 has been my favorite so far. I'm digging the subtle humor. Still have no clue where it's going.

A lot of y'all seem annoyed at the gay angle. Not sure why. But I do think it's going somewhere. I feel like there's more to it than character depth. Taboo sex is obviously a huge part of this season's plot. Again.

5. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

Glad Velcoro isn't dead. I wasn't done watching that character yet.

Gosh, Frank Semyon is unraveling quickly. He thought he was about to be perma-rich, but now he's broke, yanking out pimps' teeth in somebody else's club. And another freak connected to him turns up with his eyes burned out, and no one has any idea why. Somebody has locked Frank in a dark basement, and he's not dealing with it well. The anaconda/shark is in deep ****.

6. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Not sure if that was his plan all along (sounds like it wasn't) but kinda chuckled when he reached up and there was a pair of pliers ready to go.

7. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Thought this was the strongest episode so far. Though they are still a little heavy handed. The doctor asking Farrell if he wants to live followed by extended shots of him and his x-ray is a perfect example of what the show needs less of.

8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I could be wrong but I don't remember a freeway shot yesterday so we're moving in the right direction.

9. UTAllTheWay

UTAllTheWay Member

Completely agree with that.

10. MystikArkitect

Of the big 4, McAdams has done the best job in her role. Other 3 seem to be trying a little too hard to be in character vs Season 1 where Harrelson and McConaughey just settled into their roles so fluidly.

Kind of lost in translation is the surreality of season 1 with the hard landscapes of rural Louisiana to the freeways of Cali. I get that this is the theme here but why use a similar intro with the surreal allusions if we're not getting that same style in the show? This season is a lot more transparent and dare I say...obvious than its predecessor.

Seems like the Cali, DOT corruption and sexual freedoms angle is what they were trying to go for here but not being expressed with the same precision that religion was in season 1. Can't compare the acting as Woody and Matt had a chemistry for the ages but the writing and directing has been a notch below which was unexpected. Still like it but hope it picks up.

11. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

The blonde actress was pretty hot that is accusing gay cop of BJ. Anyone know of any other things she has done? Edit: she is from Houston and is 25 and went to Texas Tech. Was in the Hunger Games. Leven Rambin.

I LOVE the intro song and how changes each week. The lyrics are dark and the guys voice is mesmerizing.

One question - who does Vince Vaughn's Russian looking Henchman beat up in episode 1 or 2? After they beat him up under the highway he walks over and says why do you think someone would do that to you. Who was he talking to? It looked like the hispanic looking mayor guy but that guy is well connectedso it didnt make sense to me for it to be the mayor.

#291 Butterfingers, Jul 6, 2015
    Last edited: Jul 6, 2015
  12. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Such a lame, cheap copout with the rubber bullets. Clearly just went for shock value and not much else in that last episode.

As for the rest of the episode, it was solid. The show has gotten better since the premiere, but still hasn't come close to Season 1's quality, which is a shame.

13. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

This third episode had a different director.

14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

Me personally, I'm just watching this season as I would any other show - not being too critical, not comparing to last season, or looking for hints. I'm really enjoying it.

Some of you guys seem like you were expecting too much.

15. Butterfingers

Butterfingers Contributing Member

Yeah this pissed me off. I was really hoping he was dead.

16. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I definitely feel like we are headed for a Eyes Wide Shut/Twin Peaks mash up climax where the shows fictional version of Bohemian Grove is infiltrated by one of our main leads.

The mayor is definitely in cahoots with some powerful friends (notice how they purposefully focus on pics with him and good ole George W) who in real life are part of this secret society.

The big theme of this season, or the big bad, really has to be this in order to be effective. The transportation industry in our nation is one of the most corrupt and politically controlled mechanisms for financial power in our country that nobody really pays that much attention to. Especially here in Texas where Rick Perry has made alot of people (corporate people) very rich with his toll way projects that not only utilize tax payers money, but then turn back around and charge you another toll tax for using something we should all have access to in the first place.

Its going to be pretty crazy when this underworld is shown in some bizarre fashion.

My main question is how does V. Vaughn's fit into that underworld. He's obviously a former gangster whose trying to go corporate, but is he pulling the strings or are his strings being pulled by the powers that be?

I think the most effective character to really get blindsided by this world would have to be Valcoro (Collin Ferrell), but I have a feeling Ani (who has been for the most part the audiences closest vantage point narrator) will probably find her way in because of the irony of of woman infiltrating this group of phony masculine power players is too intriguing.

This show has been a slow burn, and a ton of setup just like season 1, but stick with it guys. I can see some seriously WTF stuff coming later in the back half of the season. The breadcrumbs are there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=StlhOlztQNw

Notice anything in particular..... BIRDS!!!

17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I think the season has gotten stronger as it's gone along. Wasn't surprised Farrell wasn't dead at all, too much story invested in him to off him. This isn't GOT.

18. Scolalist

Scolalist Member

I really enjoy the story so far. I don't however like Farrell's false death and I thought his "skull ****" line was super lame.

Vince Vaughn has been absolutely the best thing to me. That story in the basement with the rats was disturbing and wierd and I think he has a secret, creepy dark side/other self that we are just beginning too see. Too me he has way more of interest..a man losing everything, maybe even his own sanity/grasp of reality. His wife is also very sexy and a great actress.

The motorcycle cop has an interesting involvement. I don't believe he would just "stumble upon" the murder scene when it suits him well too get his badge back and a promotion. The burns and possible sexual addiction is interesting.

I think Rachel McAdams is okay. She hasn't really stood out at all but she's not dead weight either..Colin Farrell is.

Really should have ended Farrell right after that fantastic exchange with the woman at the bar (seemed like the perfect goodbye)and the great Twin Peaks-esque beginning of Ep.3. Really don't care at all about him, his backstory has been way more explained and it's just the least interesting. I guess they are giving him redemption in the long run but I just don't care at all about him. He's a scumbag and the only people he cares about hate him/treat him like dirt.

Episode 2 has been the best so far. I have no clue with what is actually going on.

19. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

If you are following the clues as to what the big reveal will be in the back half of the season then the Taboo Sex, and especially suppressed/hidden homosexuality will play a huge part in the "big bad".

Also Taylor Kitsch's character, while seemingly out of place, is very much there for a reason if the show is "going there" so to speak.

For folks into conspiracy theories, power corruption, etc. this season should payoff huge. Either that or it will only continue to hint at what the show is getting at. Not sure even HBO would want to dabble in hitting that content too much on the nose.

If you haven't seen it or haven't seen it in awhile, I suggest going back and watching Eyes Wide Shut. I'm pretty sure sh#$ is about to get weird.

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Just my speculation but I think Farrell will find out the rapist Vaughn led him to was not actually the guilty party... and that it was someone with Vaughn's crew. As a gangster, it would be smart for Vaughn to take advantage of the grieving cop to take out one of his enemies.

I believe there is a ginger in Vaughn's crew as well.. that would lead to some explosive scenes if Farrell turns on Vaughn. You can already see major cracks in their relationship now.