1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] The Night Of

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheresTheDagger, May 2, 2016.

1. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

I rewatched ep 1 then 2 tonight. In episode 1, she did leave the door ajar when she let the cat out. The deer head eyes, something? Most likely not, too obvious. I'm loving the show and the pace. It's just pure perfection so far if you don't have ADD. The booking process was surreal and I love how they haven't fast paced it to give you a real idea how the system works. I love Turturro, but damn, Gandolfini in that role? Would have been amazing.

#61 LonghornFan, Jul 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 18, 2016
  2. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

There's plenty of shows on TV nowadays that do a good job of taking their time setting things up, including The Americans, which I consider the best show on TV. In fact, I think pretty much the entire golden age of television starting with the Sopranos was kind of built around that format, so it's not really something that's unique to this show.

I loved the first episode and have been looking forward to the second one all week. I just felt that for a 75 minute show I learned very little new about any of the characters ON TOP OF no plot advancement. If anything,it just kind of confirmed what I already thought or expected of the characters. There were really no surprises.

Yeah, some of the parts documenting the path through the criminal justice system were done pretty well, but that's probably not going to keep me interested over a full season.

Anyway, 99% positive this was the one early "setup episode" and things will start picking up from here.

3. DCkid

DCkid Contributing Member

Maybe I missed it, but I thought it was just the Mom seeing the Maxim mags and the condoms in the backpack. Not sure if it was anything that advances the story...just the Mom realizing her son is grown up, and maybe her realizing that she doesn't know everything about him. It's possible she was trying to find evidence of something either to destroy it, but most likely just for her own curiosity.

4. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

Agree with the idea that the first episode was one of the best openers for any series. Just incredibly well done.

Did not care for the second episode as much -- but at the same time, should be expected with how great I felt the first one to be. Still completely on board to watch this series.

They don't seem to pull any punches painting anyone in a bad light -- from the cops to defense attorney and everyone else. Interested to see where this heads in EP03.

5. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

I made the mistake of reading the plot of the BBC episode that this show is based on. Definitely feels like the type of show that could be ruined by reading such spoilers. I regret it.

6. Chamillionaire

7. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

8. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

This show really has me hooked. All I can keep saying is that kid is soooo ****ED! He is the textbook definition of ****ED!

Let's see:

His fingerprints are all over the dead girl's apt
    His DNA is found at the crime scene and on the victim
    His inhaler was left at the crime scene as was the keys to his cab
    Her DNA is found in his cab
    He was seen entering the apt with the victim
    He's discovered with the bloody knife (which the killer placed in his cab) AT A POLICE STATION!

It will take an act of God to keep this poor schmuck off death row.

9. LonghornFan

Yet he has none of her blood from that mess of a crime scene anywhere on his body or they would have filed charges much quicker.

10. LongTimeFan

Don't think the bolded above is true. He had the keys to his cab, how else would he have driven off in it?

IIRC, he saw the knife downstairs they used to try to stab their hands with and took it with him, it wasn't in the cab when he got in.

11. LonghornFan

This is true. In his panic to leave he did take the knife and place it in the inside pocket of his jacket.

12. HillBoy

HillBoy Contributing Member

I seem to recall that he had to break the driver's side window in order to get into the cab after he discovered her body. When he got to the cab, he realized that he'd left the keys and started to go back but changed his mind. There was a spare set of keys in the cab. You might be right about that knife as all I remember is him driving the cab, looking on the dash, seeing the knife on the dash and placing it in his jacket when the police pulled up next to him. If he took the knife as you said, that would make him even more ****ed than before. I have NEVER seen someone this screwed... He's like Bambi going to Ryker's Island and it made me realize just how little most people know about what happens when you get locked up.

13. Victorious

Victorious Member

Great show. It has me hooked kind of like True Detective Season 1 did. The killer has to be that black guy's friend right? That friend looks back at the two, as they were walking off. And when asked by the police, the guy never mentions his friend. Haha maybe too obvious.

1 person likes this.
  14. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

He broke the front door window of the apartment to get his keys. The noise is what alerted the neighbor to see him, thus leading to the cops being called for a break-in at that residence. Returning for the keys is also when he picked up the knife.

15. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

You might want to rewatch that whole episode lol.
    But yeah there's a lot there that ****s him but also enough reason for both the detective and DA to think this could be the wrong guy. It'll be interesting to see how he gets out of this if he does.

16. LongTimeFan

I agree the evidence is stacked against him -- but the knife he had on his person seemed to be lacking blood to me. At least, with how gruesome that murder was, it seemed like there was no where near enough on the knife.

[​IMG]

Surely they'd be able to tell the cuts were made by two different knives, right? Unless killer used same knife and took it with him. Seems like a lot of planning on killers part..

17. heypartner

I agree with others that the lack of blood on the suspect from the murder scene with blood sprayed on the walls and lamp shade must be something that has Box wondering.

Another thing: What's up with the mounted deer bleeding from the eyes? Fresh enough for forensics to take a sample in ep2. That will play a role later in evidence. The two episodes combines focused on the deer at least 5 times. It did have blood in its eyes prior to the Naz and the girl partying, though.

18. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Did it have blood before, I've watched the first episode twice and was trying to catch it but kept missing it.

The amount of focus has to mean it's coming into play down the road.

19. heypartner

They show the deer the moment the two walk into the apartment. Then as they walk upstairs to do the sex. Then when Naz walks up after waking up. And I think again.

But all during ep1, they only show the rights side of the deer's head. The right eye looked like it had blood tears. In ep2, CSI took blood from the left eye.

I tried to search for symbolism of bloody tears in deers, but no luck.

1 person likes this.
  20. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Also don't forget that he accepted the inhaler from the detective who pulled it from the crime scene. In the courts that will essentially be him admitting it was his, and he was there at the crime scene.... as if he needed anything else against him.

What's so intriguing about the show now is what information is going to come out that makes this case not so open shut.