1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] The Night Of

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheresTheDagger, May 2, 2016.

1. Chamillionaire

2. Buck Turgidson

Not sure about the GARM or DISH yet, but Commodore is now a confirmed card-carrying terrible poster in 3 forums.

3. CCorn

CCorn Member

I'm a little drunk but just watched the first episode. Amazing. excited for the next episode. Don't care about the political side, I assumed the lead was Indian.

4. professorjay

professorjay Contributing Member

No you don't.

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I think half Pakistan and half Indian. We know Pakistan because Turturro's character guessed it. That seemed to be just a way for us to feel like Turturro is helping a naive kid who possibly is of similar ethnicity or background, just to build Turturro's character. Otherwise, it wasn't an issue.

To me there was zero politics in this episode. Even the comment the black kid made on the street was just a plot device to set-up a reason for a witness. Cops showed zero signs of Islamophobia [sic].

Anyhoot, sure hope this thread lets the two all-star writers develop their story without it becoming a thread about Commodore and proving or disproving whether these awesome writers are using some predictable murder-mystery formula or not...which will quickly lead to arguments based upon confirmation bias that is also very predictable...so there. :p

6. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

You're like one of those guys who wrote letters to CBS after Kirk and Uhura kissed, or to Time magazine any time they'd refer to Medgar Evers or Harry Belafonte as "Mr."

7. cdain3

cdain3 Member

What about the guy on the bike or the hearse driver?

8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

After watching the first episode again, my first question was what happen to the black guys friend? He wasn't with him when he came back and he told the cops he was alone when he ran into the couple earlier.

9. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Saw the premiere twice now, and I liked it. Didn't love it, but certainly will keep watching.

I'm worried that there is going to be a huge amount of suspension of belief with this show. Hopefully not.

10. Mathloom

Mathloom Shameless Optimist
    Supporting Member

Way to go predicting a white male actor as the villain, who would have saw that coming in American tv.

11. Nook

Nook Member

What an odd little world you live in......

12. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

I think Jay Wilds did it.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

14. VooDooPope

VooDooPope Love > Hate
    Supporting Member

I really enjoyed the first episode.

One thing though... he fell asleep a few hours after taking X with her? (not likely)

15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

My thinking is that they want us to think he had something to do with the murder. He did give Naz a pretty scornful look. As you mentioned, the other guy said he was alone so something is up with that. If he does turn out to be the killer, I will be disappointed.

16. Commodore

Commodore Contributing Member

they were practically begging you to wrongly suspect that guy

17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Yeah I think it's misdirection because it'd be too obvious and from what I've read online, it's a very twisty story. I haven't read spoilers about the BBC show this is based on but I hear it's a wild ride.

18. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

I thought it was rather normal. The writers have the two black kids say something and turn to talk more, merely to set up an witness who remembers the suspect

He later sees the scene with all the cop cars and police tape, that doesn't mean he's always walking around with his buddy.

He makes a comment at the scene which he seemed to have regretted, because now he can't go home. At the police station, he shows further signs of regretting saying something because they keep him for hours. So, he doesn't tell Box about his buddy, maybe because he doesn't want to cause him to be dragged down too.

I didn't read anything else into it. Maybe there is, but the limo driver is more interesting to me than the second kid on the street. And that doesn't say much because the limo driver could merely be a scene showing how paranoid and scared he was...and nothing else.

That would make it a scene that adds suspense but doesn't add to the mystery, classic Hitchcock technique

19. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

he so obviously did...in the mall parking lot.

I watched this last night and found it engrossing, but hard to watch considering I knew what would happen. it's weird knowing everyone he bumped into in the cab, at the gas station, on the street etc could play a major part in a trial.

it makes me want to stay home at night no matter, lol. poor dude. shoulda listened to mom.

20. s land balla

s land balla Contributing Member

The actor is British-Pakistani and his name is Riz Ahmed.

He's also quite an accomplished rapper and his most recent mixtape, Englistan, was recently released.

Here's a music video from one of the singles:

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/P5W8x4Q7N9c" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>