1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] The Leftovers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jun 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I'll have to say it's more of the same, lots of strange stuff happens but still not sure what exactly is going on or why.

2. MosKeemYao

MosKeemYao Member

Sad part is I sort of want to know at least some of the answers, so i'll keep watching. It is not horrible just slow paced, which is not always bad if the build up is worth the revealing.

3. likestohypeguy

At least lost had some vibrancy, pulled me along even if like this, if there will be no payoff here either. This is apparently going to be bleak, dreary, not much action, no powerful characters, and not wrap up with satisfaction.

Yeah even worse than the too many deeply symbolic dream sequences, the GR is the most annoying part of this show by far. The most satisfying moment of this show so far was when one of them got
    brutally murdered, hate crime style.
    I'd be okay if the rest of the show went like this- congress declares open season on them, suddenly like a zombie show now except vs. pacifist zombies. Then they can wrap the series up in just a couple more episodes, with the sheriff and his dog hunting buddy running around in that dodge 4x4, taking them all out in various ways. Drowning with fire hoses, shoving them in mailboxes etc.

Seriously more than anything I just want judging Amy to drop out of the gr just so she will talk. I really never thought I'd say that about her.

4. likestohypeguy

Nice, at least something happened this week, even if it was only 2 minutes plus 53 minutes of super intense mood music & judging amy looking more pensive than ever.

5. BigBird

BigBird Contributing Member

so it's a death colt? tf? this whole series has been so weird and confusing

6. BetterThanI

BetterThanI Contributing Member

I think the overarching theme of this series is how people deal with loss and grief. The REASON for the loss and grief is actually almost incidental. In other words, the show isn't about the answers, it's about the question. This makes it both psychologically interesting and incredibly frustrating, much like Lost. And if they don't answer at least SOME of the questions soon, they'll risk alienating their audience.

7. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think it is a death cult. I think it is a cult that somehow feels that trying to ignore the mass disappearances is wrong somehow (not real clear on why). So when people start getting accustomed to ignoring them, they do something to get everyone's attention again. They staged the stoning of Gladys to get attention. And the leader did what she could to bring about her own murder.

But I must say I am extremely baffled by the Guilty Remnant. There is absolutely nothing about what they do that makes me believe people would drop their lives and go join. It doesn't make any sense.

8. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This is giving me a Twin Peaks kind of vibe. I can't seem to get it but I'm bored so I'll keep watching till something clicks.

9. FishBulb913

FishBulb913 Contributing Member

I'm still watching every week, but I could definitely see this being cancelled if they don't end the season right. But I have no idea what that "right" ending would be.

10. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

So now that we know about Kevin's memory lapses

Did he really bang Aimee?

11. MoonDogg

MoonDogg Member

[​IMG]

12. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

It's already renewed for season 2, but it does feel like it needs something more then it's giving. I'm not sure what that is either.

13. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Some of the comments here sound like the old TWoP recaps for John in Cincinnati, while knowing this couldn't possibly be that frustrating or ultimately bad.

14. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Interesting read about this. I knew there had to be something more there.

http://www.watchingtheleftovers.com/blog/2014/8/13/national-geographic-may-1972-john-bucher

“Solace for Tired Feet” provided several significant clues for the remaining three episodes of The Leftovers this season. While several minor clues were given, perhaps none were as significant as the clues we can find by examining the mysterious May 1972 issue of National Geographic that Kevin Garvey Sr. tells his son is an invitation he needs to accept.

The May 1972 issue featured in the episode is real. It features a cover story about the 100th anniversary of the opening of Yellowstone National Park. While we might be tempted to focus on this story since it gets the most airtime – the cover is seen twice in the episode – it’s likely a red herring. Here are the stories in the issue of National Geographic that I believe relate directly to where The Leftovers is going this season.

The Spider That Lives Underwater
    The first article in the issue that we cannot ignore is titled "The Spider That Lives Underwater." You might recall that Christine mumbles something about a spider that lives underwater while Tom is checking on her. The article tells us that the spider carries its own air supply and can live underwater...or perhaps underground in the case of Holy Wayne. The article goes on to say that the male spider fertilizes his female mate after a violent thrashing. The wording used in National Geographic is “A Battle That Ends With An Embrace.” Could Wayne’s hugs be the embrace of a deadly spider?

The Riddle of the Minoans
    Another article in the issue has a headline that asks the question: "Have Excavations On The Island of Thera Solved The Riddle Of The Minoans?" The riddle of The Minoans refers to a culture of people that seemingly “disappeared” from the earth. No one knew why or could explain their disappearance (or extinction) for many years. However, this article from National Geographic began to crack open the explanation for what really happened to the Minoans. Could this be a clue that we will soon begin to discover answers for what happened in the Sudden Departure? Could the explanation for what happened to the Minoans be the explanation for what happened to the 2 percent?

Cairo, Troubled Capital of the Arab World
    The final article in the issue that begs for our attention is titled "Cairo, Troubled Capital of the Arab World." While at first glance, this appears to have nothing to do with The Leftovers or any of the characters’ journeys. However, the next episode of The Leftovers is titled "Cairo." Affirming this connection is a cryptic message sent to The Watchers – a select group of viewers tracking the show this season – that was simply: 30.0500N, 31.233E. This is the latitude and longitude for the city of Cairo, Egypt. What could this possibly have to do with the story we have been left with at the conclusion of "Solace for Tired Feet"? Cairo is certainly a significant city for both Muslims and Coptic Christians. The connection to Islam is intriguing since Rev. Matt Jamison mysteriously quoted Yusuf 12:5 in the Qur’an – though to be fair the story about Joseph and his father is in the Bible as well. Is the Cairo connection a literal connection to the ancient city in Egypt? Or a metaphorical connection that we have no way to foresee this week?

1 person likes this.
  15. likestohypeguy

Hah right on cue, a flashback episode so she could have lots of dialogue.

First episode that really made me feeeeel anything.

16. val_modus

val_modus Member

well then...

17. val_modus

val_modus Member

Underwhelming season finale to say the least... And they were doing so well in the last 3 episodes leading up to this.

18. Vigorous

Vigorous Contributing Member

I'm not sure if it's because I watched The Leftover's Season Finale after Boardwalk Empire's Season Premiere....But I was definitely underwhelmed as well. I literally said "That's it?"
    For me, the show has become background noise that I'll turn on when I have absolutely nothing else to watch. I'll be on the computer and if I hear something remotely exciting, then I'll look up.

19. bobloblaw

bobloblaw Contributing Member

Why are you still watching the show in the background? I mean this seriously. If you're convinced it's a boring show why continue watching it at all?

20. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

so i have no idea what they plan on doing for the second season.

what happened to jill's friend?