1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] The Leftovers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jun 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. Vigorous

Vigorous Contributing Member

freaky.

2. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

ditto. Big miscalculation on the writer's part.

3. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

what the hell is this show about? all i care about is the cop's daughter

4. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Wife said the same thing yesterday after the episode was over. Something needs to start happening and soon...

5. MiddleMan

MiddleMan Contributing Member

I'm out, lost interest on the show.

6. Normalus

Normalus Member

from trailers I just watched I assume it's small version of book called ''Left Behind'' by Tim LaHaye and Jerry B.Jenkins. But instead of millions people disappear, there is only 100? Boooooring

Btw, there is a movie coming this year for that book with Nicolas Cage. Great book, hope they won't disappoint with a movie :)

7. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I think the plot seems discombobulated because that's the nature of the universe that the characters are living in. Everything changed on the day those people disappeared, normal went out the door but life went on. This show is about what was left. A world that lost its "plot" but kept on spinning.

Over time characters and storylines will develop, but I can see why the show had to start off very erratic. It's just the writers giving the viewer a feel of what life is like in the characters' universe. A reality that's strange and "plot less".

The "Leftovers" want to move on to the next thing and change the channel just like those of you who don't like the direction that this show took when it began. But they can't. They have to live on and cope, knowing that they'll likely never know what happened. Or fearing finding out what really happened. Or just flat out not caring, or joining a weird cult, or driving around shooting stray dogs, or hugging US senators' pain away (wtf). And that's kinda intriguing... To me at least.

8. GRENDEL

It's 2% of the world's population so it's a bit more than 100 people.

9. Normalus

Normalus Member

but it says

''Revolves around mysterious disappearances, world-wide, and specifically follows a group of people who are left behind in the suburban community of Mapleton. They must begin to rebuild their lives after the loss of more than 100 people.''

10. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

That's just the people that disappeared from Mapleton. It was a global event.

11. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

Nicolas Cage isn't capable of disappointing......

12. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No, it's not that at all.

13. CrazyDave

CrazyDave Contributing Member

Interesting so far, but as someone who loved and was burned by Lost, I better start seeing some kind of answers straight away. That, and if I see a stray polar bear I'm turning it off... and I like polar bears.

14. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I think they learned their lesson from LOST and wont even bring up "the question" that often.. this show will truly be about the characters and not the mysteries so the writers wont be backed into a corner like they did in LOST.

15. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Wrong Book.....That book was the basis of those Kirk Cameron awful movies.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Leftovers_(novel)

16. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

17. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Oh Jesus don't get me started on LOST. That ending...smh...

18. Pull_Up_3

Pull_Up_3 Member

watched the 1st 2 episodes and well this show still sucks

may give it 1 more

19. GRENDEL

The Leftovers

Want answers to the central mystery of the 'Sudden Departure' in HBO's "The Leftovers"? You probably aren't going to get them - or at least not in the way you may want. Vulture just ran a lengthy interview with author Tom Perrotta in which the following quote was dropped:

"To hear [Producer Damon] Lindelof tell it, a big reveal seems unlikely. 'If that's why you're watching the show, don't watch the show.'" In fact there was "defining creative tension" between himself and Lindelof as the question of whether supernatural events can happen on the show.

http://www.darkhorizons.com/news/32834/tv-news-leftovers-knick-wife-danger

20. RunninRaven

RunninRaven Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I feel like this show is trying to have it both ways. They want to claim they will not answer the question of the central mystery driving everything in the show, but they still throw in little, seemingly related mysteries as they go. Things like the Guilty Remnant and what they are really about ("We smoke to affirm our faith"? Really? What the hell does that mean?). Things like the animals going crazy and this possibly supernatural, possibly not, hunter dude that just shows up and starts killing the dogs with the police chief's daughter. This Wayne guy who has some kind of weird healing power, maybe.

I keep getting minor Lost vibes with these oddities, and then I read an interview where they say it's not about the mystery, it's about the characters. Well, that's not what I'm seeing so far.

I'm like several others here. I'll give it an episode or two more and see if it sucks me in. If not, I'll find something else to keep me entertained.