1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] The Leftovers

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by GRENDEL, Jun 30, 2014.

Tags:
  1. mrm32

mrm32 Member

How bad do they want to get evaporated is probably what gets them selected.

2. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I'm not sure because Nora was set and done to go, regardless of what she said to Kevin she was acting like she'd already checked out of her life.

I think she was ready and willing to go, they just turned her down for some reason.....

3. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I mean after the initial rejection. The guy who burned himself probably gave up after that day they told him no. Nora will continue to search for them leading them to say "okay you can go".

They probably turn everyone down to see how badly they want to do this.

GRENDEL likes this.
  4. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

So this past week's episode...

Admittedly, Matt-centric episodes are the ones I enjoy the least. This one, although had some interesting parts, didn't seem to move the story to me too much. They are going to find Kevin and have all these obstacles pop up. Matt gets his ass beat...again, for what seems like the 1 millionth time. Has a revelation that his faith has been self serving, that maybe Miracle is not all he thinks it is (he brings up his wife and child, and is reminded, they left, etc.). Then at the end, he reveals that he's sick, and "God" get mauled by a lion. So...Matt is giving up on finding Kevin now? Is his part in this story done? I felt a bit mislead by this episode. :/

Oh yeah, the first sequence with Mr. Nekkid man launching the nuke. Um...all that just so Matt would have to find some way around grounded flights? And why did he need to be naked? Take your socks and shoes off to accomplish the same thing.

5. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

Did you notice that "God" was the same guy who talked to Kevin on the bridge last season and also the same guy that told Kevin to sing karaoke to come back from the dead?

alethios and CCity Zero like this.
  6. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

I actually thought this episode was a lot more interesting than the last. At least they brought out in discussion the opposition to Laurie's Kevin is crazy perspective.

7. EssTooKayTD

Was it? I'm bad with names and faces, so I easily miss things like that. I also wasn't paying attention to the "previously on The Leftovers" clip if it was shown then. I felt like I should have gotten something from the reveal of his face, but totally didn't haha.

8. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Yes, its the same guy. I've been intrigued by Matt's final words at the end of the episode. At first I thought he was referring to the guy getting mauled by the lion. I know some people read his new attitude as loss of faith but I think it's actually the opposite, he saw that the guy on the ship was a "false prophet" type.

Earlier in the episode he'd mention that God wouldn't stand for that type of blasphemy and that the guy had to be punished or stopped. I think when he says "That's the guy I was talking about..." he's actually talking about God, not the guy getting mauled. I also think they have Matt as a Moses type, who is leading these people but won't make it to the end, hence the illness returning.

I could be entirely wrong of course......

EssTooKayTD, CCity Zero and K mf G like this.
  9. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

Nice, I'll need to pay more attention going forward..

10. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

They killed it again. What an amazing show!

Can it get any better than this? The writing is great and the actors deliver. Even the title, "Certified", was a bullseye.

Only two more episodes left. I honestly don't believe either will be better.

alethios, MoonBus and GRENDEL like this.
  11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Was it because her baby departed? it's like she was suicidal, then decided not to be, then she joined the cult, then just left and became normal and now she's jumped ship

12. mrm32

mrm32 Member

I don't think she ever really wanted another child. In her convo with Kevin they both come off as not wanting a third kid. They were happy with how things were.

I think she was suicidal because the world didn't make sense anymore. She was unable to help her patients who had lost loved ones (lady from episode 1).

13. CCity Zero

CCity Zero Member

I didn't get to watch the last 10 minutes closely... But it's a bit farfetched if she's certified that she'd find a dive master that would risk things and let her go alone... I mean unless it was shady or under the table and I missed it you have to dive in pairs... Obviously even in pairs she could rig her bcd but that would be an awful way to go.. so.. I think Nora's idea and Laurie following through that way is kind of silly writing. For example in pairs and not the bcd way her buddy would force her to share air, it's a mess..

14. EssTooKayTD

So I know the show is called the Leftovers, thus is focused on those left behind, not the departed. Meaning, I know we won't ever know where they went or what happened to cause the departure. BUT, with all the happenings to Kevin and such, is it really just him having a psychotic break? Is it a story of how some people are in such pain (matt, john, etc.) that they believe his delusions and go through this whole thing with him? Is it simply a story of tragedy for all these people? I kind of want some sort of upside down, existential, other-side stuff to be "explored" in the final two eps.

15. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Really loved that scene of Carrie Coon telling the story of her childhood going to a baseball game. She turned into that confused little girl who just wanted to be happy. Maybe my favorite acting scene on TV for the year. Although I didn't really understand why she told the story at that moment.

Becoming a big fan of Carrie Coon. She is killing it on this show and Fargo.

16. kevC

kevC Contributing Member

She's identifying with the guy who had to pop the balloon's job with her own. Why must she keep being a miserable spoilsport just to keep the "chaos" in check?

heypartner likes this.
  17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I could not get myself to watch the first season so I basically started with the 2nd season and am starting with the 3rd season either now or soon.

One of the better mind *** shows around?

[​IMG]

#317 daywalker02, May 28, 2017
    Last edited: May 28, 2017
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

One Merry Go around with the Garveys.

19. alethios

alethios Member

My timing is impeccable. I have watched this series from the beginning and after just watching the 7th episode of season 3, I discovered this thread.

I love this show and yes it is a mind ****!

daywalker02 likes this.
  20. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member