1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO SPECIAL] Vice: Killing Cancer

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by val_modus, Mar 2, 2015.

1. val_modus

val_modus Member

Just released last Friday, and I gotta tell you guys, this is a MUST-SEE. It was important enough for HBO to put on youtube for as many people to see. To give u guys an idea of what they talk about: recent advances in medicine are allowing doctors to genetically alter certain viruses that used to kill us in mass numbers (measles, small pox, HIV, etc) to activate on, and kill cancer cells. Just extraordinary stuff. 40 minutes of education on how science has truly shifted the paradigm of cancer treatment.

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/e8SvBAjXGyQ" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

#1 val_modus, Mar 2, 2015
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 2, 2015
    1 person likes this.
  2. ryan_98

ryan_98 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

thanks for posting this! shane smith was on the rogan podcast back in january, and mentioned some of this during the interview. will definitely check this out.

3. Roscoe Arbuckle

My father is currently fighting Stage 4 Lung Cancer. Thanks so much for sharing this. I will pass it along to my family. :)

4. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Will Smith and his German Shepherd are concerned.

1 person likes this.
  5. Nook

Nook Member

Shane Smith is a habitual liar... so take what he says/presents with a grain of salt. He is entertaining though.

6. Scarface281

Scarface281 Contributing Member

Explain. I enjoy his work.

7. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

This might be uplifting but personally I am still skeptical. They only show us who responded well to the treatment, but there are some who it didn't work for. Tell us why it didn't work for them. Tell us of how long treatments similar to these have been in development, and inform us if those were as successful.

There are always new treatments that show a lot of promise early on but once it becomes tested in more patients it falls apart. Is this one any different? Only time will tell.

Again, it's nice to think that this is the be-all end-all cure for cancer, but I'll reserve judgment until I see more.

8. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I enjoyed a triple feature of great programming on Saturday night with this, John Oliver, and CitizenFour.

One trial showed a 90% success rate for the kids who were being treated. Most of the cancers in the special were brain tumors and blood/bone cancers- myeloma and leukemia.

Perhaps the most interesting was the woman with the brain tumor who described the worst headache in her life as the measles were almost instantaneously attacking the cancer, and the little girl who went into coma/shock after she was treated with the adenovirus- the common cold, and is now a picture of perfect health. Before seeking the treatment,The doctors had told the parents to prepare for her death.

I was also surprised to hear these treatments, with proper funding, could be available on a wider scale as early as in the next five years.

As far as skepticism, why don't all chemo and radiation treatments work? What is the success rate for those kinds of treatment?

#8 across110thstreet, Mar 3, 2015
    Last edited: Mar 3, 2015
  9. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Probably because chemo and radiation aren't cures, they are treatments. They are designed to attack and kill cells, with localization in hopes of killing more cancer cells than healthy ones.

Vice is portraying this as a cure. Still this might be a better option of treatment once a cancer has achieved metastasis.

10. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

I have to check this doc out, I love hearing about advances in the fight against cancer. Unfortunately, I'm learning more then I ever wanted to know about it with a loved one.

Man, I ****ing hate cancer.

11. New Generation

Rep'd

12. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Brian Williams liar or Fox News anchor liar?

13. Baba Booey

Baba Booey Contributing Member

HBO is really kicking butt right now with Vice being back (I agree that this episode is a must watch), Last Week Tonight, The Jinx (absolutely fascinating), CitizenFour and Game of Thrones next month. I am also really looking forward to the documentary on Scientology.

HBO does some great work.

14. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

I feel your pain HR Dept. I can relate as well in my own immediate family. I hope that your loved one can fight and kick cancer's ass.

I did have a general question about this: What would happen to the genetically altered viruses in the patients that have shown success and their cancer goes into remission (particularly the HIV treatment)??? Would the virus stay in their system after attacking the cancer cells or would those viruses die off in the body? I did see the whole documentary and that question was never answered (it was never even brought up) and that would be very concerning if those virus strains (again, mainly HIV) weren't able to be safely removed from any patient who tried this treatment option.

15. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

They did answer this in the doc. The guy was saying that they are able to strip the HIV virus of all of its damaging characteristics. It's modified HIV, harmless, or so he says.

16. val_modus

val_modus Member

I'm not 100% sure on this as I ran through the video, but I believe towards the beginning of the video they mentioned one of the features of the genetically altered strains was that they only activated once they complexed with cancer cells.

17. Nick_713

Nick_713 Member

I don't recall hearing that, but I'll def. watch it again when I have time later today; Thanks Realist!

18. across110thstreet

across110thstreet Contributing Member

I'm pretty sure this is being portrayed as treatment on Vice just like the other ones you mentioned. and it too, is treatment that kills cancer.

could it one day lead to a cure? time will indeed tell.

19. paunguye

paunguye Member

I work at MD Anderson and I see those patients all the time out of the OR! It is impressive thing what the doctor have discover! I am very excited to here this and getting a lot of publicity! On our unit we call it the "Smart bomb" HAHA pretty cool stuff!

20. t-mac4bigmac

t-mac4bigmac Member

Curing cancer by injecting people with viruses? Knowledge about viruses themselves is still pretty limited even in this present day.

I personally know someone who was cured without use of chemotherapy, radiation, or surgery, by local Houston doctor, Dr. Baxter Montgomery.

Also, do a search on YouTube, "gerson therapy testimonials" and you can find several people who have beat cancer. Though definitely do your own research, and listen to both sides.