1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[HBO] Mike Judge's Silicon Valley

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by tallanvor, Apr 7, 2014.

1. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Hes getting 10% due only to the fact that the guy lives there, yet he acts like he has say or contribution to the creation of the product/company. He orders the stripper but doesn't pay for her and worst takes undeserved credit for PiedPiper and forces his way into meetings concerning the development of the algorithm/company where he serves no purpose except for being an embarrassment.

Seeing as how this is a sitcom, I understand his character is intended to be a silly/comedic buffoon, it just isn't working for me... perhaps it would 've worked better if he were simply their landlord/friend instead of useless partner.

2. tallanvor

tallanvor Contributing Member

correct. its a contract. cheap living for 10% of what you make. the tennats agree to it. its not leeching.

if you own 10% of a company you usually have some kind of say.

makes him an ass but not a leech

3. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

HBO has renewed Silicon Valley http://tvline.com/2014/04/21/veep-season-4-silicon-valley-season-2-renewed-hbo/

Sad to hear about Christopher Welch actor who plays Peter Gregory. Apparently Mike Judge did an interview in January about Welch passing and its impact on the series. http://www.thewrap.com/tca-silicon-valley-mike-judge-alec-berg-hbo-christoper-evan-welch - HBO's “Silicon Valley” creator Mike Judge said that the passing of actor Christopher Evan Welch will not affect the story arc of his new comedy's inaugural season.

The HBO series got the first five-and-a-half (out of eight) episodes shot before Welch's Dec. 2 passing. There were scenes that he and exec producer Alec Berg had to rewrite, but not enough to change the story. Though Berg pointed out the obvious at HBO's Thursday Television Critics Association panel, saying, “Should there be subsequent seasons … he's a character that we don't have in our arsenal anymore.” (click on link to read rest)

I'm ambivalent about Gilfoyle and richard (main character), Aly the indian guy and bighead I find amusing. I'm sure many find TJ Millers character the most entertaining but something about the character/situation just bugs me lol.

Correct, though no one was claiming it was. The thing to note about the partial sentence you quoted was what followed, the conjunctive adverb yet, ie the incredulity with the character acting as if he had a say/contribution to the company when he was already receiving 10%.

In the kind of LLC they have set up, owning 10% would have given TJ Millers character exactly zero say in the handling of the company. Furthermore he does not have any co founder status or credit in its founding, which was the point of the sentence you quoted.

IMO someone who tries to gain undeserved credit, establish further connections/reputation/clout through misrepresenting their position and involvement in a company/entity they have nothing to do with except owning a 10% equity, is a leech. You may call him ass, that's fine also lol. Like I said, its a comedy, but Millers character just annoys me, YMMV.

4. redefined

redefined Contributing Member

In an llc members manage the company and he absolutely has the implied authority to make business decisions. Now you can argue strippers might not be within scope, but this is a startup in silicon valley and I'm going to bet the courts would say the company would be bound, not personally of course. This is how most businesses are run. He's not a passive investor or a mere shareholder.

5. blahblehblah

blahblehblah Member

Not the LLC Pied Piper is created in this show. The show has shown that Richard as the founder and majority shareholder has absolute authority in the management, direction and control of the company. The decision to sell for 10million or go with peter gregory, name the company pied piper or rename it something else and the divesting of shares (percentages) were all determined solely by Richard the Founder and majority shareholder. Many startups/businesses are set up in this manner.

6. Faos

Faos Contributing Member

The hot girlfriend on the show last night is the plain Jane looking girl on the AT&T commercials (Grant Hill). Her name is Milana Vayntrub.

The show is watchable, with good lines, but isn't living up to the high hopes I had for it.

7. Yonkers

Yonkers Contributing Member

I enjoyed the show last night better than the previous week. But I agree, I had higher expectations. But I will continue to watch.

8. conquistador#11

"we'll call you when we need pleated khakis."
    the dude has his moments.:p

9. rhino17

rhino17 Member

Love the last 2 episodes

Mike judge stuff is not usually full of huge lol moments, it's clever and subtle. I'm enjoying this show a lot

10. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I guess I didn't have any expectations of this show, I think it's strong every week. The garage mural last week was awesome.

11. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Was it really? I didn't recognize her at all. Looked much bustier than on the commercials.

Loved last nights episode. Thought it was the funniest yet.

12. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Gave this show a chance and I'm glad I did. It really makes me want to go out and start a business.

13. Convictedstupid

I've had a crush on her since watching her Live Prude Girls videos. Dem teddies...

14. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

I've enjoyed every episode, thought this most recent one was really funny.

15. weakfromtoday

weakfromtoday Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The drug deal gone wrong was hilarious. Bathrobe goon hand!

16. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

very

Rocket River

17. GRENDEL

GRENDEL Contributing Member

Literally had me laughing out loud...

18. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

19. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

hilarious. this show has become one of my favorites for this year. That company is so full of smart idiots with social problems, that all you can do, is pull for them to succeed.

20. LonghornFan

LonghornFan Contributing Member

Dude gettin' wood over other dude's Java Script was funny. I'm also really starting to like Erlich Bachman character.