1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

HBO announces launch of standalone streaming service

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by TheresTheDagger, Oct 15, 2014.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Fair enough. If that's the case, there is no reason to go with the cable option.

I'd like to see HBO Go become a live streaming service so that it becomes more like TV. ESPN already does it (somewhat) and I enjoy streaming sportscenter with having to find a TV.

2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Report: HBO Now streaming service to cost $15 a month

3. K mf G

K mf G Contributing Member

this is the major concern for stream only service

4. Junkyard_Dog

Junkyard_Dog Member

Was hoping for $9.99 and would be a no-brainer, but does make cutting the cord that much easier. As soon as there is an all streaming sports service I will be set

5. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

So will this be HBOGO as it exists now, or will it have all content shown on their channel. I ask since I would want all the Boxing events they show, but they only have a handful of the matches on HBOGO. PPV via this service would be awesome too.

6. Scionxa

Scionxa Contributing Member

I think i may hold off. For $10 more I have Sling with the hollywood extra pack. Plus they recently just added amc.

7. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Price point isn't good enough for me. I can get HBO for $15 from DTV.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd probably do it for Game of Thrones and then drop again. The price of "only" $15 is 50% more than Netflix and I'm guessing the offering isn't as broad. Not sure why the article would say "only" like they collect a commission on sales.

9. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

I thought it was $10 forever; guess they finally upped that. I hadn't checked in a while.

10. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

Price point is going to kill off chances of cable subscribers making the jump, but that may be what they are aiming for.

I know Uverse generally runs deals like 3 months free or $5 for 3 months around the time GoT is about to start.

11. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

Seems like, maybe it's obvious, that this is aimed at those cutting the cord. So if I used to pay 15 bucks for HBO on say DTV, then if I pay 15 for this service, I hope it's the same, minus the other 300+ channels I don't watch. If so, I'm in.

New GoT episodes are not available on any other service right? Can they be purchased on Google Play for the current on-going season?

12. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

DUnno is ala carte is the way to go
    10+15+8+etc etc etc
    might end up costing as much as cable

I figure Netflix + HBo + Hulu
    Then sports moves to this platform . .then Show time then Epic etc

Rocket River

13. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

This move covers a few significant areas. First and foremost for the end user, it allows choice and freedom from the big providers.

Second, for HBO, it allows them to capture the "torrent" crowd. Game of Thrones is the most pirated show. Instead of forcing people to sign up for a full subscription for 2 months(which usually comes with a long term lease), this allows people to buy HBO for two months and then cut the service. HBO has found many people will buy these shows if there is a way for them to purchase it w/out going through cable companies.

Additionally, HBO has a chance to pick up further revenue from people who are angry at the cable companies and are tired of give them the money. Instead of comcast making $5 a month, some will prefer to be loyal to HBO and give it to them directly.

Hopefully this is very successful to the point where HBO continues to come out with more quality TV shows. A couple big hits will attract the couple of month subscribers, but they will need to find a way to retain them for a long term.

14. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

They will have to use these first few months as a proving ground that they can handle high volume traffic for the GOT premiere. A lot of people aren't going to be eager to spend $15 a month for a streaming service that may or may not deliver when it is also available through their cable provider.

To me this is the biggest obstacle for HBO Now.

15. DrLudicrous

DrLudicrous Contributing Member

16. HR Dept

HR Dept Contributing Member

Price of Apple TV will fall from $99 to $69. That's not a bad get.

17. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

So beyond HBO stuff . . . .. what will it offer than Netflix does not?
    [In Fact some HBO Stuff is on Netflix]

Rocket River

18. HeWhoIsLunchbox

HeWhoIsLunchbox Contributing Member

I'd be surprised if you could name one piece of HBO original programming that's available on Netflix.

It's almost certainly going to be the same stuff that's available on HBO Go (HBO originals and currently airing films). If you're not an HBO fanatic, then this service won't be for you. I'm a huge HBO fan, but it's cheaper for me to keep the HBO package on my cable then to do this standalone service.

19. rhino17

rhino17 Member

I'm pretty sure no HBO content is allowed on Netflix

20. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

One wouldn't be able to simply log-in to hbonow.com and watch on the website? I would have thought a company would do that first before going to partners to distribute.