1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hawks to be Sold After Revelation of Racist E-Mail by Owner

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Sep 7, 2014.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This racism witch hunt is jumping the shark. It will set back civil rights for years.

2. Nook

Nook Member

I have absolutely no idea....

If he said a player "still had some Euro in him." I would know he meant his style of game was similar to that in Europe....

3. Nook

Nook Member

Just wait for the inevitable backlash where real, no doubt genuine racism is condoned.

4. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

That he frequently goes hungry?

That he has bongo drums?

That he carries baskets on his head?

That he gets the losing team's super bowl winner t-shirts?

5. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

According to the reports, the Hawks brass is disciplining him, not the league. Agree, it sounds like a scape-goat thing for the Hawks to do, nonetheless.

6. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

I'm going to go with it having to do with his personality and interaction with the coaching staff

Or perhaps he just hums "African Child" during games

<iframe width="560" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/2mUNSzXHRhY" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

7. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Fireworks are great though.

8. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

I'd assume that meant he has a lot of athleticism. What about the scout that actually wrote the report? Was he also disciplined?

9. roslolian

roslolian Member

Maybe it's just me but I don't think the email was racist, to me racism happens when one person thinks a whole race is inferior to another race, like for example when Sterling talks about not bring any blacks to his team games.

In this case the "racism" happens not because he thinks the blacks are inferior to whites or other races, just that based on his own data analysis the white people don't want to hang around with the black people. If you took out the racially charged word blacks and replace it with teens the email would look something like this:

I look around our arena and see 70% teens, the music is hiphop, cheerleaders are teens, at the bar it is 90% teens, we are doing after game concerts to attract more fans and the concerts are either hip hop or gospel. My theory is that the black crowd scared away the whites and there are simply not enough affluent teens to build a signficant season ticket base.

So to be honest I don't see anything racial about what he said, he just split the demographic into black people and white people and made some assumptions which may or may not be true. I guess the fact that he thinks that there aren't enough rich black people in Atlanta is a bit racist, but when you compare it to racism done by Sterling it seems pretty minor, it's not like he's saying black people are inferior to white people, more like black people are poorer than white people so they should be more white people friendly or whatever.

TBH I think the main reason for the poor tix sales is because the Hawks are boring as **** and they just keep being mediocre year after year. At least with the Rox you can say the team is exciting since they play up tempo and take a lot of threes, the Hawks were a slow it down grind it out team but they don't get success like other slow pace teams, they always do enough to get into the playoffs and then lose in the first round in a boring series.

10. CDrex

CDrex Contributing Member

I'm way more confused by this Ferry development than any other feeling. What the hell does that statement even mean? And why am I seeing actual reporting done on it? People will click on anything that even sounds controversial, I guess.

11. rudan

rudan Member

The owner should have made out with Jason Collins and protested the 'redskins' then the media would have loved him.......

12. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Why snitch on yourself, you can sell the team anytime you want without the bad press. Whatever the reason it came out, it is clear he wants to get rid of the Hawks and has no interest in putting up a fight.

13. ooooaaaah!

ooooaaaah! Member

Your right, the definition of racism does involve a race thinking that another race is inferior. Most people do confuse racism for stereotyping and end up overusing the word racism. That being said, he does seem to imply that the white fans are better because of reason 1, 2, 3. Isn't that racist?

On the 97.5 the drive they (Jerome who is black, Dave who is White, and Jong who is Korean) were making fun of the email and laughing at all the stereo types. If you missed it, it was worth a good laugh. I love the talk about CPT and the fans arriving late, very amusing to me.

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

Those "African" traits ... I'm supposed to know what that means out of a continent of nearly 60 countries and thousands of ethnic groups.

15. Ramathorn006

Ramathorn006 Contributing Member

This is ridiculous. Luol Deng you are African...

What's next? Are they going to ban us from watching the movie White Men Can't Jump?

16. finsraider

finsraider Member

So when do we get Paul Millsap, Al Horford, or Kyle Korver?

17. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

But who brought the topic...why is that even important to his playing ability or style? What African traits effect his ability as a veteran NBA player?

18. Horry4theWin

Horry4theWin Member

"He's not perfect. He's got African in him."

[​IMG]

So this is what set off the internal investigation? why not just ask the scout to explain himself within the context.

19. BasketballReasons

BasketballReasons Contributing Member

A little ridiculous IMO.

20. Spoolxx

Spoolxx Member