1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hawks to be Sold After Revelation of Racist E-Mail by Owner

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Sep 7, 2014.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

Completely agreed.

If people pull up the socioeconomic data from ATL, I'm sure white people are simply richer than black people in that particular area. Sterling's situation might elevate situations like this, which is both good and bad.

2. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I'm not sure. I think the ATL is the one city in America where the black socio economic indicators are similar to affluent whites.

3. NotChandlerParsons

They've made the playoffs seven years in a row :confused: I mean granted that's in a weak East with no real hope of advancing to the Finals aside from maybe one of those years, but they've done pretty well compared to a lot of teams.

4. amaru

amaru Member

The hawks have had one 50 win season in the last 10 years lol. They have also never advanced past the 2rd round in that time period......in the LEASTERN conference no less.

I've lived in atlanta since 2004 and I honestly haven't met very many hawk fans of any nationality, color, race or gender. The only games that people seem to be interested in are the ones where the other teams have marquee players.

Joe Johnson was the best player the Hawks have had in recent memory..that says something lol.

The owner, whose name I can't remember, needs to realize the real problem here is the substandard product they put on the floor.

5. NotChandlerParsons

I mean I agree I wouldn't be hustling to get to a Hawks game, but I think it's more that it's a transplant city and they don't have a real fanbase there.

6. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

I want to see how their kiss cam is better than any other in the league.

7. amaru

amaru Member

No they really haven't. Most of the years they have gotten in, they managed to sneak in and then were usually trounced by the opposing team.

Also, they have always lacked star power. When Josh Smith is touted as one of your "stars", your team is lacking.

8. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

9. amaru

amaru Member

In my household, for example, I'm a Rockets fan, my dad is a Spurs fan, my brother is a Miami fan and my mother is a Laker fan.

None of use would go to a Hawks game if our teams weren't playing even if they gave away discounted tickets........which they do lol. That team just isn't worth the hassle to go see ( traffic, parking in Atlanta, gas etc.)

10. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

They've haven't advanced past the second round (recently in a weak east) for decades.

They haven't seen and ECF or finals appearance since the 60s.

The franchise itself hasn't won a their one and only championship since Bob Pettit lead the St. Louis Hawks to one in 1958 over an injured Bill Russell's Celtics.

(Click the "playoffs" tab)
    http://www.basketball-reference.com/teams/ATL/

Before those seven year treadmill playoff runs of the first or second round, they didn't make the playoffs for eight years straight.

Atlanta also hasn't had a true superstar draw since Dominique was in his prime.

Things like this can be overcome I'm guessing, but likely hurt your long term fan-base and season ticket holders imo.

11. chandlerbang21

I am Black and I saw nothing wrong with it most of what he said is true. Season ticket holders are usually the white people in the stands and the environment that was portrayed by the Atlanta Hawks was not inviting to a different demographic. He want it change that song. He didn't say I'm not going to serve black people I'm not going to give away tickets to black people allow them in my Stadium. There's no reason for him to sell his team but hey he's about to sell it and probably get close to a billion dollars for it lol

12. amaru

amaru Member

Exactly. Even star players from there don't want to play for the team lol (See Dwight Howard)

13. traveler

traveler Member

lol

I travel through Atlana often and the traffic is stupid there.

14. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

There's a reason they cannot attract elite free agents...this doesn't make matters better.

15. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

"Dem big booty hoes are fresh like dem Georgia Peaches" <<<<<

16. amaru

amaru Member

The only ppl I've seen that consistently wear Hawks gear are the local "hip hop fans" who want to "rep" their city. I'm willing to bet that if they lost the "hip hop crowd", they'd have an even harder time selling tickets.

17. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

18. khanhdum

khanhdum Member

nothing wrong with with what he said. he's just doing statistics in trying to profit more from the team. since he outed himself, I bet he's just gaining publicity regarding this so he can sell the team for more.

19. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

I don't have time for a drawn out argument.

Your reasoning is ok if you are trying to justify affirmative action.

For myself as a minority who just wants a non racist existence in the year 2014, I don't see why everyone can't just be treated more equally in the public sphere. I am not even arguing what you or your dad might think of a particular minority deep down.

I think the real answer lies in the fact that people these days have their own agenda and it was never about equality.

By the way, your assessment of what Asians have suffered both in and outside of this country is severely lacking.

Chinese workers in the wild west were lynched too. An entire town of Chinese people was massacred by an angry mob worried they were taking their jobs (some things never change).

What the Europeans did to China in the 1800s is well documented (Opium Wars, many people killed, looting and rape, subsequent fall into poverty).

#99 rm365, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  20. downbytheriver

What Europeans did to the ENTIRE world is well documented. China isn't the only victim of an imperialist regime. Asians aren't the only minority in the world who have tried to start life anew elsewhere. But it is apparent, especially from lof fans who couldn't stop yapplng about their struggle, that their insecurities make them very hard to get along with.

We live in a pretty gotdamn diverse society. It's the nature of business to break people into groups and subclasses based on their tastes and actions, and that's all this letter was doing. It's not racist because he's just making ASTUTE observations that serve in the best interest of his business. And he's right! As far as white people not wanting to be around large groups of blacks well.... remove the bitterness and contempt from their culture, replace it with a little more joy and faith in G-d, and i have no doubt that will be gone by the time our kids get out of college.