1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hawks to be Sold After Revelation of Racist E-Mail by Owner

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by shastarocket, Sep 7, 2014.

1. shastarocket

shastarocket Contributing Member

Can someone explain why the Hawks have been unable to attract more corporate accounts in a prosperous city like Atlanta? That should have been the focus of the email

2. downbytheriver

They don't want to go to a place dominated by blacks. Lowers the value to middle aged white men.

3. apollo33

apollo33 Member

Maybe basketball just isn't big amongst that demographic, maybe they would rather go to a baseball or football game, or maybe they consider it a black sport, maybe they are scared of black people at games who knows

4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I read the e-mail and it doesn't sound racist to me at all. He just wants to run a commercially successful business and is internally discussing the best ways to do that. From that e-mail, he is no Sterling and shouldn't have to step down.

5. Panda23

Panda23 Member

only became an issue that when the commercial interests of the nba fell at stake.

6. Panda23

Panda23 Member

Can people please point out the parts of the email that is apparently racist? if anything it seems like he's condeming white men for being racist??

"My theory is that the black crowd scared away the whites and there are simply not enough affluent black fans to build a signficant season ticket base. Please dont get me wrong. There was nothing threatening going on in the arean back then. i never felt uncomfortable, but i think southern whites simply were not comfortable being in an arena or at a bar where they were in the minority. On fan sites i would read comments about how dangerous it is around philips yet in our 9 years, i don’t know of a mugging or even a pick pocket incident. This was just racist garbage."

7. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

After I thought about it, I think he's doing this for the publicity in hope of selling his team for a higher value than it's worth ala Sterling.

8. rm365

rm365 Contributing Member

This is ridiculous.
    What he said wasn't very pc but he expressed his honest thoughts as a businessman.

As part of a racial group that nobody will stand up for when it comes to racism (lofs = small penis! Har har. White guy high five!), the knee jerking when it comes to African Americans is a bit much.

#68 rm365, Sep 7, 2014
    Last edited: Sep 7, 2014
  9. what

what Member

How are you going to sell something that nobody wants to buy. The hawks need to be moved anyway.

10. downbytheriver

Are you saying the history of Asian Americans to African Americans is comparable? The smart nerd who can't please women is comparable to slavery, torture, lynching, segregation, racial taunts, centuries of oppression??

11. Apps

Apps Member

I think this guy wants out of a sinking ship, and he knows that if he goes public with wanting to sell the team, that inherently cheapens the team's value. By "forcing" himself out, he is able to preserve the value of his controlling interest and hopefully gets an overpriced payday by some other billionaire who wants to swoop in and play hero.

12. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Morey better delete his racist emails, should any exist.

13. OkayAyeReloaded

Supporting Member

You make good points. Upon a quick glance the email may seem not very PC and a look at demographics in the market.

But I was looking at Atlanta attendance rankings, and the club was ranked in the top 10 when Dominique was in his prime in the 80s.

They've also been a treadmill team for years. I remember our own Rockets games weren't so great in attendance without star power and winning records. They are now improving because we have both.

I think his email is racist, but it is hard to pick up on at first glance and may even seem normal to some.

But a large part of it is I'm guessing is he was a poor owner from a business standpoint and used the Sterling precedent to cash in from his failed attempts at running the team.

Especially since he reported it himself which he knew would bring publicity for him to sell the team at a higher profit.

14. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

HMMMM.....WELL

Methinks someone wants to sell his team for $2 Billion. This e-mail is weak sauce & nothing to lose sleep over. It certainly didn't warrant a confession.

Looks like this is the trendy business plan. I said something racially offensive, I'm sorry, & I would like to sell for $2 billion please!!!

15. Twin_Towers

Twin_Towers Member

There is a word for this email and it isn't racism...its demographics and its a foundational principle of marketing. I expected degrading or flat out racist statements...this isn't nearly as bad as the Sterling audio.

He was a little blunt about it but I assure you, business executives have these conversations ALL the time.

16. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

The Hawks are not the clippers lol would be pretty surprised if that dude nets that money.

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

What the hell? There is zero racism in that e-mail. People are just way too sensitive these days.

Does this guy have any history of racism? Not that I know of.

18. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

Clever businessman imho. The email is basically criticizing affluent white ppl for refusing to attended games because of the negro element. So instead he snitches on himself in the hopes of getting that Clipper billion like payday.

Remember, NBA teams are not the money makers that we assume they are. Maybe for the big teams but for the sh-tty Hawks I'm guessing they're operating at a net loss every other year.

Kudos white man!

19. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

He's a moron if he thinks it'll work. He should just wait for after the new TV deal.

20. amaru

amaru Member

Pretty stupid of him to put himself in that position.

Also, atlanta has alot of affluent blacks......maybe the hawks terrible track recore is keeping them away. I know for a fact that my family doesn't go because they are terrible.