1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hawks shopping Paul Millsap

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Vivi

Vivi Member

Damn i would do it in a heartbeat.

Also, keep an eye on Blake, Anderson fits the Clippers too

2. Vivi

Vivi Member

Deuce, when is Anderson going to be tradable? Mid December?

3. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

Addressing the Westbrook portion... why in the hell would Westbrook bolt OKC but choose Denver or Phoenix??

it makes no sense. did we not learn anything from KD??
    Westbrook will be in the exact same spot as KD next year. Increased cap will mean lots of teams with cap space, including REALLY REALLY good teams. So he'll have the choice of joining those title contenders, or going to the west coast or east coast for a huge market.

Not Denver or Phoenix.

Maybe those squads believe their own marketing pitches though and offer up more than Presti can say no to, but seems unlikely... which is precisely why Presti doesn't want to be "backed into a corner" here.

So regarding Millsap... PERHAPS Atlanta might think of themselves as a bigger market (true), with a better squad (true) than a Denver or Phoenix... but why would Presti want Millsap? Millsap + Schroeder? Maybe. But then that Altanta squad, even with Westbrook, isn't that good anymore. Westbrook, Dwight, Bazemore, Korver... ? C'Mon.

Now Millsap to Denver or Phoenix makes more sense. But, I'd contend that as with Westbrook... it's going to be pretty hard to trade players that will be upcoming free agents. If I'm Denver or Phoenix, I like Millsap, only IF you have a guarantee that he resigns. And why would he? Unless you're offering him max 10+ year player money, more than any other team. In which case, if you're Denver or Phoenix (or any similar team), you've just traded young assets and/or picks for the ability to max out a 32 year old solid, but non-franchise changing player.

4. thedude077

thedude077 Member

I'll pass I am not a fan of Millsap, sorry.

5. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Blake is on my list too. :)

I believe Anderson would be available for trade in December as you mentioned.

Remember at the trade deadline last year, players that were upcoming UFAs....no one traded for them, because they could walk for nothing. So the price goes DOWN by the day for these UFAs. Will a UFA stick around on a bad team (aka Suns?).

I think the Hawks have to seriously consider offers for Milsap sooner than later.

And you saw what Sam Presti did ahead of time with Ibaka.

6. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

What's not to like? Rebounds well, can shoot well enough to be a threat, one of the best defensive PFs in the league.

7. Aruba77

Aruba77 Contributing Member

this is why neglecting the draft and not getting value in return for FA's (like Dwight and T Jones) is a killer. a few years ago we'd be in great shape to be "predatory" and acquire top talent at the trade deadline with the expectation that we'd sign them long-term the following year. But now, there are so many other teams in a position to offer more than we can. Teams that are trading star FA because they think they'll walk are usually focused on the future; they're focused on picks and young talent. I just don't see that for Houston.

Also, i think Blake stays in LA; why leave? If Paul bolts, maybe, but i'd be shocked to see Blake leave if the Clips are still competitive by the time he's a FA.

8. Vivi

Vivi Member

Yep, i agree.

9. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

The Hawks would be wise to keep Millsap now that they have Dwight. Those two will go great together.

10. OTMax

OTMax Member

Anderson traded for Millsap, keep dreaming..

11. Vivi

Vivi Member

I actually see that happening, if they choke even this year, would be like what? The 5th time in a row they can't pass the second round? And i think this is already something that makes Paul and Blake a bit uncomfortable...

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

True, but nobody wants to play with Dwight :grin: and they also tried to trade him to resign Horford, maybe there's just no chance that he wants to stay there anymore, who knows...

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Millsap IS a good fit next to Dwight, agreed! The problem is the Hawks openingly SHOPPED Millsap and then pulled back. And Millsap is a UFA after this up coming season. Maybe he might not want to stick around for the HowardHawks.

14. JayZ750

To the extent Anderson for Millsap would be a trade that has potential, I don't think I'd do it as a Rockets fan.

meaning, Anderson is ahving a good seasons. Say 17/7 on decent shooting, his usual average defense.

Even in a world of increase cap space, why do I want the pleasure of giving Paul Millsap $25-$30+ million a year for 4/5 years when he is 32 years old? AND on top of that, he might not even want to stay. He could just walk to another team entirely.

I'm not trading "real" assets for that.

If Anderson is having a suck-ass season, its a non-starter.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Morey's pursuit of UFA Howard when he was in Orlando says Morey would make that Millsap deal.

16. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Small, old, declining athleticism - no thanks.

DD

17. digitallinh

digitallinh Member

Wait, Anderson plays average defense? I thought it was one of the worst in the NBA for a player with big minutes?

18. hakeemthagreat

Probably can't play with him in 2K or something:rolleyes:

19. D-rock

D-rock Member

Trading for Millsap should have been the option 1A BEFORE signing Anderson. Right now, it makes no sense.

Would much rather trade for Orlando's PF Aaron Gordon. He is a younger more athletic even tougher version of Harrison Barnes but his ability to defend extends to every position on the court, from 1-5. Also can handle the ball, pass and rim protect. With all the bigs on Orlando's roster (Ibaka, Vuvecic, Biyombo and the plethora of FA's like Dedmon, Nicholson, Zimmerman, Jason Smith, etc.) Gordon could be ripe for the taking.

20. JayZ750

Well, I said average based on the "Anderson Fact vs. Fiction" thread! ;)

http://bbs.clutchfans.net/showthread.php?t=275956