1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hawks shopping Paul Millsap

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 2, 2016.

1. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

He's non guaranteed, he would be cut.

2. jsingles

jsingles Member

Where are you seeing that Houston has even been given a phone call about possible trade possibilities?

3. Beardaholic13

Beardaholic13 Member

I dont remember who but yesterday is aw a tweet that said they had to purge 13 mill....so you could be right since its not far off

4. Airdough

Airdough Member

Yes, it's only July 2nd. Season doesn't start until November so there's plenty of time to build a roster. The offseason is still a marathon.

If that still makes you sad as a Rockets fan, turn your attention to the Astros, they're a young team having fun and playing great right now. And if that doesn't work, football season is right around the corner where the Texans have an intriguing team.

5. Rox>Mavs

Rox>Mavs Contributing Member

So if its $13-14m then it's basically down to teams with that much cap space to absorb salary + teams that need a PF bad + teams that can offer the best trade to beat out the other teams.

I'm not sure how, but somehow I would think we'd be able to leverage the fact that each team (ATL and HOU) has the bird rights to the players involved in trade. That I would assume would give us a slight edge.....just not sure how to leverage it.

6. sugrlndkid

sugrlndkid Member

Nothing like that. This is per Codman, who suggests that a "Utah/ATL" player could be had...Two fit that category. Korver or Milsap. Thinking the latter.

There is really no major reason for the Hawks to help out the Rockets...currently. After signing Howard and Bazemore...The Hawks must decide if Horford is part of their long term plans. If he is not...The Hawks dont have to do anything more. If Horford and the Hawks have mutual interest in his return, they have to adjust space to account for his salary. Milsap becomes a tradeable asset.

Finally if Im not mistaken...players can declare now where they'd like to go...but no contracts will be complete/official until sometime next week. Howard in a sign and trade deal could allow for moving parts. ONCE again this is ALL speculation.

7. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

This doesn't make sense for ATL. Mislay/Dwight is better than Hereford/Dwight IMO...

8. JMAD21

JMAD21 Member

Fixed... Strange auto correct there.

9. OTMax

OTMax Member

This will be moot in a few hours when Horford is signing with Washington or Boston.

10. Rox>Mavs

Almost got it....

11. Sooner423

Sooner423 Contributing Member

Ironic, because he's not going to be Here.

12. Vivi

Vivi Member

It makes sense in fact. Millsap will get paid more than Horford next year, and he's older by a couple of years.

Also, Horford can play center, Millsap cannot, and with Dwight on theteam is better to have a guy like Horford who can play that spot if Dwight is not hitting free throws.

13. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Yeah, the descrepancy is likely due to having to guess/estimate what the 1st year salary is for Dwight and Baze...since raises can vary.

14. lionaire

lionaire Member

From ATL's perspective, keeping Horford and getting something in return for Milsap would be better than losing Horford for nothing and possibly losing Milsap who has a year left on his deal for nothing as well.

15. theDude

theDude Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

In: Dwight
    Out: Milsap

or

In: Dwight
    Out: Horford

Either way it ends up going, how much better do the Hawks get?

16. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I've wanted Millsap on the Rocks for a long time. Nervous about him being a rental, though. That's assuming we could get him. Would rather land Horford from Atlanta, given a choice. He can play the 5, if needed. He's younger and we'd get him with a longer contract.

17. heypartner

hmmm...follow this for a second:

EDIT: Nevermind. I was thinking in the world of the previous CBA, where SnTs allowed for higher raises than UFA signings.

#77 heypartner, Jul 2, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 2, 2016
  18. Rox>Mavs

I'd prefer Milsap personally over Horford, especially in today's style of NBA. He's older than Horford, but I think he's been less injured throughout his career.

I agree with adeelionaire, even if there's a slight edge for them to take Milsap over Horford, the prospect of losing him in FA over trading Milsap for something valuable makes more sense.

19. Rox>Mavs

Thank you, I like the options that could open up. Somehow I'd assume having bird rights and going over the cap, or whatever you could do with the rights has to be a factor worth taking advantage of.

20. heypartner

****, ignore what I just said. The CBA now prevents the 7.5% raise for SnTs. A SnT no longer helps as I suggested.