1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hawks shopping Paul Millsap

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bmd, Jul 2, 2016.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

As it stands now, I don't see the Rockets making moves to trade for Millsap. But I can certainly see Morey getting involved in some "3-way trades" to pick up some role players for decent value.

2. basketballholic

The only teams that will give up substantial assets for Millsap Will have to be assured he wants to be there and is going to re-sign or opt in to the last year of his deal. No team is going to give up substantial assets for Millsap (players or picks) without knowing he wants to stay.....unless they are dumping salary that gives them the option to sign a great player (either Millsap or someone else) next summer.

3. basketballholic

Not unless he tells them he'll stay. Uriji is one of the best GMs in the biz. He's not going to throw away assets just to chase Cleveland for one season.

roslolian likes this.
  4. davidxhz

davidxhz Member

Millsap is another undersized power forwards, how many of those we are going to have to understand, we need a decent center, like young Tyson chandler to really compete, so no to Millsap

5. malakas

malakas Member

Arnowitz said that this summer Denver was certain that Millsap would go to them for a pick swap.
    So basically this summer Millsap was worth a top 10 pick.
    Even if the price has dropped to think he won't even fetch a first at all is ridiculous.

BigMaloe and justtxyank like this.
  6. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Great so make a tipjar bet.

7. malakas

malakas Member

Denver didn't know he would opt in or resign and yet they would trade their no.7 pick.
    Noone in their right mind in the summer would believe Milsap would opt in.
    So basically since then little has changed in Denver's stance.

Even better. What has changed is PROOF that Jokic and Nurkic can't play together and they need a pf.

8. bongman

bongman Member

hmmm. We've already beaten the top 2 seeds in the West at least once and we are solidly in 3rd place. The last game with SA, we only lost by a few points and was actually leading in the 4th. Isn't that competing?

9. thekad

thekad Member

Holic is correct(yikes) that Atlanta won't trade Millsap anywhere he doesn't want to go.

10. Vivi

Vivi Member

This remains to be seen, they'll probably look for the best partner for the Hawks AND for the player, but that doesn't mean they can't still trade him wherever they want. And while i think you should never trade for a player if you're not sure he's going to resign, it's also true that there're some dumb/desperate organizations out there, Dwight didn't want to go to the Lakers but they still traded for him, i'm pretty sure the Kings are going to try to trade for Millsap no matter what, maybe other two/three teams too...

11. Nook

Nook Member

Yup... there are 5-8 teams that think they have a fighters shot to go very deep in the playoffs and they will gladly move 1st round picks to get a player that materially effects their chances the rest of the season.

12. justtxyank

This was all I ever said. Teams that see themselves as contenders will give up end of the first round draft picks for a chance to move the needle even a little bit. Except the Rockets, we don't look for small needle movements, only stars. :)

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Including the Rockets

14. justtxyank

I'm not convinced that the Rockets would. Morey has never gone "all in" during a season has he? He bargain hunts or star chases.

15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I know Morey doesn't move 1st rounders lightly, but if they moved their 2017 1st rounder, it would be a LATE pick. They have 2 potentially early second rounders (DEN, POR) so I could see Morey moving the 1st to boost the team.

16. justtxyank

I guess we'll have to see. Korver would have been a logical piece.

I don't know if Dunleavy still has it in his legs but maybe he makes sense to take minutes. Certainly not for a first.

17. yixiixiy

yixiixiy Member

I don't think that was the point. They would be glad to trade with a team he doesn't want to go IF the trade assets are attractive enough. The point is that, from a RATIONAL standpoint, if a team gauges that the chance of his staying next year is low, she won't throw in valuable assets just for the rent.

18. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

We practically gave SA that game. We had that game won and literally just handed the ball to them at the end to lose.

slothy420 likes this.
  19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Zach Lowe is reporting that Tim Hardaway JR is available for a second round pick(s). Posted that item in Dish. #FreeBirds

mario elie likes this.
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Cant have GP2 and TH2 on the same team.

HTX Ninja likes this.