1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hawks looking to trade Josh Smith

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Pete Chilcutt, Jun 15, 2009.

1. subtomic

subtomic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Do the Hawks still have the rights to Josh Childress. If we could get that and Josh Smith for McGrady, I'd consider it.

But given what baller4life315 has said, I would not want to give up any of our significant assets (Battier, Brooks/Lowry, Scolandry) for just Smith.

2. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

The Hawks are looking to save money by trading the huge contract of Smith, and Joe Johnson's deal also expires after this season, so they may look for something in return. Horford is still on his rookie contract so he is cheap and under club control for 2 more years.

3. SuperVon

SuperVon Contributing Member

Even if you used the 'force a trade on a decline' option it would probably still get rejected haha.

4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I don't know what the financial situation is within the organization and I don't really know what their ticket sales are like but the Hawks are willing to blow up a perennial eastern conference playoff team NOW, they need to just fold the franchise up. It's taken them..what....about a decade to even get back into the playoffs and now that there's success, they want to trade their YOUNG core players?

If they thought trading for Bibby two years ago was going to put them into elite status without even letting the team gel, then they are more inept as a franchise than I had previously imagined.

5. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

The voice of reason. Thank you, my friend.

6. Chuck 4

Chuck 4 Member

Childress plays in Greece or something now.

7. juicystream

They aren't championship quality. Playoff contender may not be enough.

8. jopatmc

jopatmc Contributing Member

If it doesn't fit............you must quit. Josh Smith has the bball iq of an ice cube. Him and Artest together would be interesting to watch from the standpoint of how long would it take for Artest to knock his a.. out during practice. A great physical specimen that has no idea how to use it.

9. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Yes, the Hawks still have J-Chill's rights. He'll be a restricted FA when he returns to the NBA (hopefully soon).

10. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Oh I definitely agree with you that they are no where near championship material. But progress is progress. They put all of their 2008 offseason egg into one basket in Smith and Childress signed overseas. Now they are trying to offload Smith, who's skills can only be useful with a Steve Nash or a Chris Paul at the helm. So the past two offseasons, they could stand to lose Childress, Smith, and Bibby (if he doesn't re-sign) and have nothing else for their fans to look forward to because I have a feeling the Hawks will get fleeced in any deal involving Smith (this, of course, is based on their past track record).

11. t_mac1

t_mac1 Contributing Member

we don't need another guy thinking he's better than he is. dude refuses to use his height and play inside more on offense.

12. ThaBlackKnight

GREAT SHOTBLOCKER DOES NOT EQUATE TO GREAT DEFENDER

See:

Marcus Camby
    Dwight Howard
    Josh Smith
    AK47
    Theo Ratliff
    Shawn Bradley
    Manute Bol
    Raef Lafrentz
    Samuel Dalembert
    Chris Anderson

These guys are great WEAKSIDE shot blockers, but are not good on the ball defenders.

Josh Smith is overrated defensively at the 4. He's just too small/weak to play there in my opinion. He might be better suited to guard small forwards, but his offensive game is limited.

He is too poor a rebounder as well to play the 4.

To be honest, his biggest strengths are weakside defense in blocking shots and playing passing lanes. Not worth the kind of $ he makes. Okay fit in Atlanta, would be the equivalent or worse of Shawn Marion in Miami and Toronto, if he were in Houston.

13. juicystream

Thats really the big question. It depends on what they can get. Its amazing to think what would be if they drafted Chris Paul.

14. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

These are my sentiments as well. Smith is talented, but a gamble. I think Smith has a lot of maturing to do and have my doubts about how he'd mix with our locker room.

If Ron's completely unreasonable in negotiations and wants 4 years/$44M and the Hawks are open to it; S&T.

I think we can (should) do better with the McGrady contract flip.

15. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

Good point, although I would clarify that Kirilenko and Bird Man are actually pretty good all-around defenders. If you watched Denver in the playoffs this year, Chris Anderson was shutting down HIS man constantly.

16. Pete Chilcutt

Pete Chilcutt Contributing Member

I think If he came to Houston though, the guys head would be on straight...A legitimate title contender, he had a mentor that was the greatest Rocket ever, and if Ron was still here im sure he would get a few pointers on how to change, i mean Ron did he so can Josh

Chilcutt

17. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Josh Smith seems to be the exact opposite of what Morey-ball is all about.

18. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Josh Smith seems to be dumber than a box of hammers.

I like his athleticism, but his feel for the game is lagging WAY behind.

DD

19. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

That is downright scary.
    [​IMG]

20. TheDreamShake

TheDreamShake Member

I've watched my share of Hawks games & this is a BIG no from me & I agree with what you said exactly. I'm sure it's been a problem for the Hawks to dump him. This isn't the 1st time he's been shopped