1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hawks explore trading Josh Smith

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by REEKO_HTOWN, Jul 5, 2010.

1. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

He is way bigger than Chuck Hayes....

DD

2. Htown's2kFinest

I said I wanted him here a while back when he was a free agent. He would a great addition here. he's a top 10 PF with still a lot of upside left. probably the best athlete in the league and one of the best shot blockers in the league right now. but wonder what the Hawks are looking for in return?

3. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

The Hawks are a mess moving forward. They just paid top dollar to retain JJ, their "All Star" center wants to and is probably best suited playing the four and meanwhile Josh/Marvin (with considerable salaries, respectively) remain in the mix as well commanding minutes at both the 3/4.

Bottom line: something's gotta give here and by "something" I mean a trade. I've said all along that the keeping both Marvin and Josh isn't an option but the Hawks chose to extend Marvin anyway. Unfortunately, Marvin looks to be the next great "Get paid, stop caring" NBA casualty so obviously that doesn't bode well for the Hawks. It would be a real shame for the Hawks if Josh had to be the odd man out as a result of Horford's desire to play the four and Marvin's soon-to-be considered nasty contract.

As for the idea of Josh on the Rockets.....no thanks. I say that as a Hawks and Josh fan too. He's at his best playing in transition plus he's got a little Artest in him at times with the 'boneheadedness'. Not a good fit.

4. Petey-N-Htown

Petey-N-Htown Member

Yes, I'd like to see the Rockets somehow land Josh Smith.

5. A_3PO

A_3PO Member

People here just don't get it with Josh Smith. But if I had to choose between him and Marvin Williams, I'd take Smith.

The Hawks are full of athletic softies with no leader. They will get much less production from JJ the next 6 years vs. the last 6.

6. Shaud

Shaud Member

A few years ago I thought Josh Smith could play the 3 but it's obvious he can't play SF. He's undersized at PF but if he was traded here that is what he would have to play.

Josh Smith is not going to make this team great by playing SF. Josh Smith is not an upgrade over Ariza at the 3 on offense. Ariza struggled shooting this season but from 3 he is better than Josh Smith.

Moving Josh Smith to the 3 makes no sense at all because he can't shoot or dribble.

7. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

He's overpaid. I don't want him with his current contract.

8. Pete the Cheat

bottom line...dude is a locker room cancer.

pass.

can anyone link the story where zaza pachulia slammed him against a locker by his throat?

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Ok, with Bosh off the board, I still wouldn't mind seeing the Rockets look into acquiring Josh Smith.

10. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

Smith is a great fit with Yao, but my only concern is that he is definitely not a superstar and we would be pretty handcuffed if we give up too many assets for him and it turns out that Yao is not the same or approaching the end with his injury problems.

Maybe he could be an option at the deadline after we take a look at Yao.

11. CKent

CKent Member

I would argue that he is close to being grossly underpaid. Especially when you look at the contracts being handed out right now.

12. ktbballplaya

ktbballplaya Member

Josh Smith is a Stat stuffer. He would be huge upgrade for our team. I question his work ethic but I believe its because hes playing in Atlanta his hometown where he grew up. A change of scenery and better roster of professionals would help big time.

13. Raven

Raven Member

Rockets need athleticism and shot blocking, but what does Atlanta know that we don't?

14. Dat Dude

Dat Dude Member

This is numero uno for guy's I want to acquire this off-season (now that Bosh is off of the board). I believe he would be an upgrade to this team and would be a HUGE upgrade defensively. Couple that with trying to get Ray Allen in here for the MLE and Brad Miller to back-up Yao and that would be a dream off-season, IMO.

15. DaneB

DaneB Member

Looks like they are trading him, but only if its a trade they want. Looks like they are looking to for a point guard and a big center...

[QUOTE}"The Hawks have been exploring the possibility of trading Josh Smith as part of their summertime makeover, according to sources around the league.

This makes sense in the context of the story on Fanhouse.com, which describes the Hawks offering a two-year contract to Shaquille O'Neal. It's not clear what the Hawks want in return, but they could try to package Mike Bibby or Marvin Williams with Smoove to bring back a top-notch PG. [/QUOTE]

http://nbcsports.msnbc.com/id/38099614/

Something tells me that they dont want anything we have to offer...Any chance we can find a third team looking to cut some payroll?

16. DaneB

DaneB Member

Sorry to double post...

I think Josh Smith is more of a small forward, rather than a power forward due to his height and ball handling skills. He is somewhat like a Shawn Marion type. If we are able to get him, we would be back to contender status...

Pg- Brooks/Lowry
    Sg- Martin/Budinger
    Sf- Smith
    Pf- Scola/Hill
    C- Yao

17. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Marion, at his peak, rebounded, was a good perimeter shooter, and defended. Josh Smith covers 1 out of 3.

18. Depressio

Depressio Contributing Member

Josh Smith would be quite the shot blocker around the rim for us. With him and Yao, we'd have some pretty dense interior defense to go along with Battier/Ariza on the exterior. That'd be pretty rockin'.

But would he play within he offense? He often likes to go off on his own, similar to Ron Artest... though he did less of that last season and got accolades for it.

He's also worked out with Hakeem before, so there's a Houston Rockets connection!

19. MrAwe

MrAwe Member

K-Mart for Josh in a heart beat.

20. DaneB

DaneB Member

What I'm saying that neither one fits a defined role as a power forward or small forward. They can play either depending on sheer athleticism and size...Josh Smith is a great defender and rebounder, but is not a good shooter. That looks like 2 out of 3...

Through Shawn Marion's first six seasons:

17.7 ppg, 2 apg, 1.25 bpg, 9.53 rpg, 1.79 spg, .353 pt%, .46 FG%, 38 mpg

Josh Smith:
    14.3 ppg, 2.9 apg, 2.3 bpg, 7.6 rpg, 1.2 spg, 0.266 3pt%, 0.463 FG%, 33.7 mpg

Looks very similar to each other. Keep in mind that Josh Smith so far has played 5 minutes less per game over his career... Besides the 3pt % it looks fairly similar...Smith was also a candidate for defensive player of the year...