1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Having a tough year

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by droxford, Feb 5, 2012.

1. droxford

droxford Member

Two days after Christmas, my wife's yearly mammogram revealed a 2cm. lump of cancer. Further tests revealed that it had "sattellited" to about 8cm.

She went into surgery this past Thursday. Bilateral mastecotmy. It took two surgeons 12 hours to complete.

About 5 hours after the surgery began, the cancer surgeon came out to the waiting room to let us know that the surgery was going well - she was finished with her work and the reconstruction surgeon would continue from there.

I had been in the waiting room with my mother-in-law and my dad. We went downstairs to get some lunch and then my dad left to return to his home in San Marcos.

He was on I-10 just west of Brookshire when he drove his car off the road and into a tree. He did not survive.

3 people like this.
  2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

So sorry, droxford. I hope that your wife will recover fully.

3. esteban

esteban Member

Thoughs and prayers for you and your family at Mass today. I'm so sorry for your loss!

4. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

wow, sorry dude. that puts things in perspective. i've personally not liked you and there are few posters i would say that about but now i realize i was just being petty.

keep your head up

1 person likes this.
  5. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

droxford,

So sorry for the loss of your dad. Hope your wife continues to recover. 2011 was the worst year of my life (lost my job, went 6 months without work, then saw my marriage end) but I was fortunate enough not to lose someone near and dear to me. Hang in there - I know it is not easy but you have to be strong for the rest of your family.

6. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

You will be in my prayers.

7. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Drox, I am sorry for your loss, we will pray for you and your wife.

DD

8. the futants

the futants Contributing Member

Oh, no! I'm so sorry this is happening to you and your family.
    Best wishes, sir.

9. Jontro

Jontro Member

Very sad to hear this. Chin up man. I really don't have anything to say as I'm bad at this, but we at CFnet will be here to support you through.

10. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

All the best man, sounds like really difficult times for you and your family.

11. finalsbound

finalsbound Contributing Member

wow. i'm so sorry for your loss. :(

12. shipwreck

shipwreck Member

The tragedy is almost unbearable. I'm truly sorry, man. May your father be at peace.

Remember, no matter why you hurt, you are not the only one who is in pain. You are not alone in grief. I lost two childhood friends in the last year, one KIA and one to cancer, both 24 years old. I still carry the grief around like it's my fault that they died. Lean on the BBS. It is a nice escape, and it's always there for you. WE are here for you. We're usually d!cks, but we're here. I'm sure you have a strong family and friends support system, but the BBS has its ways of providing tertiary support.

Reality is, that we're all dying, and sadly, I am realizing that I will grow older and watch everything I love around me either die or morph into unrecognizable forms. At least for today, we live.

I'm not a big psychiatry, therapy guy, but it sounds like you should seek professional help. That's heavy **** for anyone, let alone someone who's already knee deep in 'a bad year'.

Here's a quote from Avery Johnson (right after the Mavs had collapsed, again, he was halfway out the door, and had to face the media blame in the face of inevitable termination) that always gives me a grounded outlook. I can't find it so I'll have to paraphrase.

"There are a lot of people in the world who are suffering, who are in really bad shape, and for today, right now, I'm not one of them. And for that I thank God."

13. DonnyMost

DonnyMost be kind. be brave.
    Supporting Member

Jesus drox, that's awful. Hang in there. There is no up without the down.

14. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

Good lord, drox. I know words are useless at a time like this. Wow... just wow. I lost a parent this past year. That big empty hole in your soul will take a long time to repair itself. Perhaps luck will decide to smile on your lady. God knows "luck" has been on hiatus for long enough. Hang in there best you can.

:-(-

15. ferrari77

ferrari77 Contributing Member

Terribly terribly sorry for your loss man. That is a rough time you've been through. Try to keep the faith through this trial brother. As difficult as that sounds just try to keep faith. I'll be praying for you.

Keep the faith and keep your head up brother.

16. Mr. Brightside

Mr. Brightside Contributing Member

Sorry to hear that bud. You're one of the good guys here.

17. percicles

percicles Contributing Member

I'm sorry for your loss friend. I wish you the best.

18. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Wow, I'm so sorry.

19. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

I'm so sorry for your loss, I hope your wife recovers fully. Try to stay as strong as you can and know you have support here if nothing else. Best wishes to you and your family.

20. droxford

droxford Member

Thanks everybody.

I'm posting these from the hospital room. I have to be strong and positive for my wife as she recovers and for my kids who've lost a grampa while mom is gone for 4 or five days for surgery. This thread is just about the only source of condolence that I'm allowed right now.

1 person likes this.