1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Have you been more excited about the Rockets?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Vengeance, Dec 8, 2002.

1. Vengeance

Vengeance Contributing Member

I have to say, this is the most excited I've been about the Rockets in a LOOONG time. The championships were obviously more exciting, but since then, I have been excited about every team. Drexler, Dream and Barkley was pretty exciting. Then getting Scottie Quitten was pretty exciting. I mean, I've been excited about a LOT of Rockets teams and a LOT of Rockets players. I remember thinking Rodrick Rhodes had a real future as the SG of this team, and then thinking we had a great future with Quitten. After that, I was stoked about getting Shandon Anderson, and then about Oscar Torres. Every time, I had such a bright outlook, but no team has ever lived up to my excitement. The players would usually not live up to their expectations, and the teams would never be as good as I was hoping. Players would be moved and the team I thought had such a bright future would disappoint. Then I'd get all excited again over another team that didn't make it. However, looking back on it, I feel so much better about this team and these players than ANY team we've had since 94-95.

During last season and the summer, I hardly even visited the Rockets forum. But now, I'm checking it every chance I can and reading just about every post of every thread. And this team seems poised to finally live up to my high hopes. Not this season albeit, but the outlook has never been brighter. When you look at the future of this team, you can't help but be stoked. I mean, we've got some of the VERY BEST players in the league at their positions and a fabulous bench, but these players still have four to five years before they start hitting their primes. Rudy seems to really have this team clicking, and it can only get better.

I imagine it's kindof the way fans felt when we had both Sampson and Olajuwon at young ages. Imagine the excitement of fans for that team, and I bet it's much the same as the excitement of this team. But perhaps even more anticipation because the WHOLE team is young. Now, I know my emotions are probably a bit clouded by our big wins over SA and Philly, and the BBS will be a flood of negativity after our next loss, but in general, even during our bad games we still have plenty to be hopeful about.

Have you been more excited about the Rockets than right now?

2. vwz

vwz Member

AMEN!

3. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Who else is back to the Rockets Forum with a Vengeance? The man who gave us the 1000 Reasons to Love the Rockets.

4. djkickass

djkickass Member

Im so excited. Oops, my pants just got wet.

5. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

i'm probably as excited now as i was in 93-95, sometimes the journey is just as fun. of course it all needs to come to a championship eventually. this team looks so good sometimes and the fact, as you mentioned, that most of the players are years away from hitting their prime makes it more incredible.

6. Elliott03

Elliott03 Member

How bout them Rockets!!!!:D

7. Milos

Milos Member

I agree, since I have been a fan there have only been a few times I can remember being more interested in the day-to-day activities of the Rocks.

The last time I can remember having such a positive vibe from following them was when we traded for Sir Charles, and we had the privelege of watching 3 HOF's play together before they had passed their primes.

This time, however, is different, because this team is still largely an unknown for the rest of the year.

First off, let me just say how impressed I am with Yao's recent play. This is what I hoped for (NOT expected) in three years, but to see it now has just raised my expectations for the future that much more. But, being realistic, I know the rookie wall is right around the corner. The guy has been playing nonstop for almost a year (CBA, Olympics, etc.), and other international professionals (Gasol, Parker) have shown that even they are not immune to the inevitable wear and tear of the NBA on rookies.

Secondly, despite the game last night, I truly believe we have mismatched players who will never compliment eachother to the point where they maximize their abilities. The cornerstones of Yao and Steve are good enough to lead a championship team, but they need the right complimentary players around them. This roster is not complete, and I would feel a lot better if a few changes were made:

1) Make Yao the focal point - It's time for Rudy to bring back the old Hakeem plays. While he may not yet have the physical stamina to do so for an entire season, Yao clearly has shown he deserves to have the offense run through him. Enough of Francis, Mobley, and Moochie trying to initiate the offense through penetration. We need to move towards a traditional offense centered around the big man. Seriously, other than Shaq and Duncan, what big man in the entire league would you rather have right now to make the decisions in a post-oriented offense?

2) Free Steve's talents by taking him off the ball - I know it's a dead horse, but I really think Rudy is restricting Steve's abilities by having him run the offense as a true PG. I also realize he is reluctant to play anywhere else, but who cares? Players get paid to do what the coach tells them and coaches get paid to win. Steve has shown a natural ability to be a dominant scorer while continuing to have an awful assists/turnovers ratio, so why continue forcing a round peg into a square hole? To keep Steve happy? If he is a man of his word, all he cares about is winning, and whether he likes it or not, we are a much better team with Yao making the decisions from the post.

3) Move offense for toughness/defense - With Yao and Steve as our primary scoring options, MoT and Cat become expendable b/c they offer little else than explosive scoring ability. Mo would be a good option off the bench, but he makes too much for a backup and showed last night he doesn't take well to decreased playing time. The same goes for Mobley, who would be excellent as a sub for Steve. Unfortunately, the Cat believes he is an All-Star, and he may well be one day, but not on this team. In return for these two very good players, priority #1 should be a big PG who is an excellent floor leader and jump-shooter. #2 should be some muscle for Yao protection. I'm not sold on Eddie as an enforcer, and that's definitely not KT, so I would add a solid, veteran rebounder to start. In addition, move Mo and Kenny and let Eddie develop off the bench as he has WAY too much potential to give up on at 20.

8. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

A lot of things have been exciting during our re-building phase:

Making the deal for Stevie
    Making the deal for Griff
    Getting the #1 pick
    Picking Yao

We Rocket fans really are lucky. I used to live in the Bay Area and I don't think you could make a list of 4 exciting things for the Woe-rriors without going back ten years! So, have I ever been more excited? Championships are still the best but I've never been more excited about things that might happen! Next exciting thing to occur:

PLAYOFFS!

9. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Hey Derrock,

I used to be in the Bay Area... u remember how eager San Fran was to land Yao? Heck, all of Chinatown came out to see him during the Team USA vs. China prelims. Man, who can't feel the buzz in Houston? :D

I only wish Compaq Center would fill more seats. Why aren't people going to the games? The ticket prices are just right and the arena is just perfect, IMO.

:eek: :eek: :eek:

10. derrock

Heck yeah SageHare6, it wasn't just Chinatown who went but many people of different ethnicities. Don't know if you were here for pre-draft threads but people here wanted the #3 and Jamison for our #1. Whew...you know the Warriors would have done it in a heartbeat. Thank goodness the Rockets brass only listen to the sane people in the forum ;) .

I agree with you about the Summ...err, Compaq Center (strange...there's a Compaq Center in San Jose too). When I was a kid, the Summit was the place I wanted to be. Of course, I didn't know any better. But I don't understand the attendance problems either. The Warriors have more sellouts than the Rockets and you know they'd be "the show" if they drafted Yao (in terms of attendance). Oh well...there was a previous thread wondering about these same problems.

11. haven

haven Member

This is the most excited I've been about a regular season since the amazing start in 93-94.

I was in kindergarten during Hakeem's rookie year, so I can't really remembering that teaming being built. Don't get me wrong - I loved watching Hakeem... but he was a guy that had always been there.

This time, I'm here for the inception. And I watched the team struggle prior to jelling. And I got to dance in excitement when the Rockets landed the #1 pick.

I'm not really sure this "team" is better than the "last" team... but it's so different for me that it's hard to compare. I mean, which team is more important to you? The one you grew up with, or the one you got to see all of? Different, but great both ways.

You know what else is cool? I finally view the Rockets as a distinct "team" from the Hakeem-era. Until this year, I always thought of the team's identity in transition. No longer the dump-it-down, post oriented team of yester-year... but not really a true team that defines an era of Rocket basketball.

This isn't a reflection on the abilities or accomplishments of Francis as a single star... but just that the team was never complete. It was always missing major elements. Now, except for tinkering, these are finally the guys that are going to be the Houston Rockets for the next 5-10 years.

I'm excited about that :)

12. Sonny

Sonny Contributing Member

I was actually very excited at the beginning of the 1993-94 season. We looked so good the year before versus Seattle in the playoffs and then we start 15-0. I was on Cloud 9.

Also, at the start of 1994-95 and 1995-96 I was pretty excited also. ;)

So far this season 11-8. They are very strong at home and learning to win on the road, which is what you have to do to make it to the playoffs. I am excited about how fast the Rockets are growing as a team, learning and adapting. Cut out some turnovers and we are a lock for the playoffs.

Huge test coming up Tuesday night. Go Rockets!!!

13. RocketGuy3

RocketGuy3 Member

Oh yeah, I'm lovin it. It's not just because we have more proven and being-proven talent than ever before and that we're clearly improving and showing we'll continue to do so. It's that I can put my finger on the things that this team was notorious for sucking at in the recent past: defense and passing, and see that the team is taking big steps towards changing those things.

The defense is MASSIVELY improved. Not only are we third in the league in PPG allowed and way up there in opponent FG, it's 19 games into the season, and we've tied a franchise record for most games in a season holding an opponent to below 80 points. Reading that really excited me... but I guess it shouldn't as much because scoring in the league has never been at so much of a drought:( Still! It's nice!

The passing... has some work to do, but the last game was a big step, and I just loved everything about that game. And I know Steve is willing to do anything to win, so him giving up the ball when he knows someone can play won't be a problem I think. Now if I see a performance like that on the road in the near future, I'll be even more excited!:D

But this is also our best home start to the season since 96-97! (when we started the year something like 24-2, don't remember exactly). Now that's an accomplishment!

14. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

Ah-ha! I knew something was missing from these forums!

Welcome back Vengeance, and thanks for bringing the positivity with you..;)

I am AS excited about this team as I was about the 94-95 Rockets. I knew at the time we already had one of the best teams, and then we got Clyde(one of my favs since UH). Man oh man, when they announced that trade..I jumped for joy!

Like you said, the excitement here is almost the same because we have been here and on top of everything since day one with this current incarnation of Rocket-ball. I see great things happening if we can keep our core together and injury-free.

This Franchise is headed for a Dynasty! :D:D

15. Pole

Pole Houston Rockets--Tilman Fertitta's latest mess.

This is the most excited about the regular season I've EVER been.

16. m00154

m00154 Member

Btw, where is Rodrick Rhodes now? Is he in the CBA?

17. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

One thing I really liked:

I think it was when Yao whipped the pass to Steve, who went up and missed, and Yao had the dunk put-back. Steve had fallen to the floor. Almost in the same instant that he came down from his dunk, Yao helped his teammate up and they were running back on D. Not that you don't help up a teammate anyway, but this is MY TEAM, and these are MY PLAYERS. I like watching the emergence of the Franchise-Dynasty. :cool:

18. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

"I agree with you about the Summ...err, Compaq Center (strange...there's a Compaq Center in San Jose too). "

Actually, the San Jose Arena is now called the HP Pavilion FWIW...

19. DUCK2324

DUCK2324 Contributing Member

#19 DUCK2324, Dec 9, 2002
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2002
  20. derrock

Ah...the merger...that makes sense too. HP to Silicon Valley is like Compaq to Houston. Thanks!!