1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hate to see some words like: You are Yao only fan

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by dsong, Dec 17, 2002.

1. dsong

dsong Member

For any topic trying to give Yao some credit, some body will say you are Yao only fan. Do we have case if Yao win but team lose. That will be Yao's team like early day of 76's when Allen Iverson joined.
    I don't think we have that cases. We have three supper stars, Yao, Mobley, Francis. For every, two of them could be on the fire line, we could win the game.
    What's point? We need these three guy work together, share the ball.

Never Never Never say like you are Yao fan only!!!!!!!!!!!!

2. Rockets2K

Rockets2K Clutch Crew

What you are missing in that is the fact that when someone is called a "Yao-only" fan, it's because they dont look at the team game. They look at how many shots YM made/took, and start screaming about how bad the guards must be because Yao didnt score 30 points every game.
    They only care about what YM's stats were for the game, win or lose. I dont even think they really care if the Rockets win, it's ALL about the big fella's stats.

It's funny, YM doesnt seem to care about his shots or wether or not he is being used right...all he seems to care about is if the team wins.

I wish his fans would take the hint and emulate his attitude.

3. Another Brother

Another Brother Contributing Member

Hello my name is Another Brother and I'm a Yao fan.

To be a Yao fan is to be a Rockets fan, because the better the man from China does, the better the team does. Make sense?

4. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

dsong,

there are most definitely people who root only for Yao Ming around here. They aren't like you and me where we root for the best for Yao and the team. They say stuff like they wish Chicago, Golden State or NY would have gotten him. He is on the wrong team, etc.

Never once in my entire experience of watching professional team sports of any kind have I found a fan of a team say their team is not good for their new #1 pick.

5. Gummi Clutch

Gummi Clutch Contributing Member

ARE YOU TRYING TO DIVIDE AND CONQUER??? - SHUT UP!!!!!!!!

If they cant play like a team, I guess we should expect the fans to act like one!

6. illadelph

illadelph Member

Here's a thought. There really isn't such a thing as a "Yao-only" fan. There are good basketball fans and bad basketball fans. You've just described an awfully simplistic and deluded basketball fan.

7. feishen

feishen Member

First time to hear bad basketball fan. What does it mean if I am bad basketball fan? C'mon everybody just trying to have some fun, dont be too serious about it, ok?

8. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I am sooooo tired of reading these kinds of posts.
    Here in this thread we are supposed to be discussing the team. Not how fans can be called Yao only lovers. This belongs in the BBS Hang Out..... :rolleyes:

9. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Good point. Actually, we should go further and say that there are two kinds of "Yao-only" fans here. Those who are true basketball fans and those who are not.

I truly believe that a true basketball fan understands the team concept and will develop loyalty to a team over time. Those who had no interest in basketball before the coming of Yao only look upon him as something like a movie star. These people will eventually get tired of basketball and move on.

If you are one of these non-bastketball people, I suggest that you do not post in this forum because this is a forum for serious Rockets fans to discuss issues pertaining to the team. You are welcome to browse and get familiar with what Yao's team is all about.

On the other hand, I think those old timers on this board should understand that this is the first time since the beginning of CC.net the Rockets have a foreign player who has the star quality as Yao. His fellow countrymen will understandably rooting for him with no regard to what the Rockets do. There is certainly a degree of national pride there. That's understandable and should be respected.

Just think about it, if you (American) move to England. And there is an American soccer player who has a chance to be the best in the world. Everywhere people are hyping him to be the next Pele. He comes to play for Southampton. Would you be very interested to see him do well with very little regard to what Southampton is?

10. feishen

feishen Member

Well, I was named to be the No.1 Yao-Only-Fan by someone. Do I mind it? Hell, no. Neither do I mind about the #1 SF fan or Mobley fan. I do mind about troll boys though.
    My observation is most of people posting here are just trying to share their thoughts and having some fun. Really, there is no need to be serious about it. Some "Elites" here (not all) just cant stand other's opinion. Ming lover or not, I do hope Rockets to win every game they can. As other fans put, it hardly happen when Ming palyed well and Rocket's lose, maybe the dallas game is exception. I follow the rules of this bbs here and I read them pretty carefully as often as I can. I dont see there is a rule in this BBS saying that one cant critisize Rox player when they are not doing the right thing , one cant speak out their minds, etc. As long as these are not enforced as rules, I will be as vocal as I was. I am just trying to have some fun here. If some elites think the Yao-Only-Fan are chanllening the orders of this BBS, well so be it, this is a free country. Thank you for putting up with my illogical random thoughts.

By the way, for whatever thoughts we share here, its all fantasy in some way, so dont be too hung up with it.

11. dsong

dsong Member

I should close this thread because I have been numbered as 5 Yao-only fan. I am very proud of my new title. I don't mind to talk about Yao-only fan any more.

12. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

this should be closed....

13. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

feishen, I'm glad you expressed this sentiment. i take back everything bad i said about you. IMO, you have redeemed yourself and are no longer on the "Yao-ONLY" troll list.

peace

:p :p :p

fei'sfriendSAGE

dsong on the other hand... you are totally hopeless :mad: :mad: :mad: you are now the public offender #1.
    in fact, you are so hopeless, you are on the list TWICE!!!!

Known Yao-Only Fans
    Public Offender #1. dsong
    Public Offender #2. sun112
    Public Offender #3. polypheus
    Public Offender #4. jh4lau
    Public Offender #5. dsong
    Public Offender #6. bban212

14. feishen

feishen Member

I was a long time Rocket's fan in the Hakeem era.
    I lost track of Rockets after Hakeem went down the slope, until Ming joined Rockets ... By the way, what exactly happened to Rockets after 95 championship run, why Rockets went down the hill. My memory is vagaue on that part. A brief account by anybody?
    BTW, dont take me off the list, I am just sane for a timebeing, god knows what will happen if Ming dont get touches in the indy game. I might bite people.

15. DreamTiger

DreamTiger Member

Actually, when we (a lot of bbfans) see the game through the live play-by-play on ESPN or NBA, and post thread in TsingHua BBS basketball board, we were first want Rox win, then care Yao's stat. A man who cannot help his term win the game is not a actually hero! There is nothing even he get a lot of points or other.
    On the other hand, Yeah, if Yao is not in Rox, we will not support Rox. But the fact is Yao is a Roxer now.
    I don't understand what kind of fans should be called Yao-only fans. If I am a Yao-only fan cause I support the term where Yao join, I am. If I am a Yao-only fan cause I just care his stat but not term win, I am not.

16. heech

heech Contributing Member

And what you're missing is that these "Yao-only" fans befitting your description exist mostly in myth, their presence exaggerated by some sensitive Rockets fans who're here to enforce their viewpoints on the rest of us.

Which games are you referring to specifically where these "Yao-only" fans made their appearance, rustling your feathers? Is it the last 3 games? When the Rockets played (by general consensus) a less-than-impressive style of basketball? When the Rockets lost 2 games to inferior teams, and by all rights should've lost a third?

In these 3 games, Yao has noticeably received the ball in the post than he had in the 4 games prior. In these games, Yao has taken fewer shots than he has in 3 of the previous 4 games.

So, I ask you. If this isn't the time for ANY fan to question Yao Ming's role in this offense, when IS that time? When *is* it ok for rational fans to ask questions about Yao's touches? Let me know. Because, you know, I wouldn't want to be put on the blacklist as a Yao-only fan. I want to be sure to criticize his lack of touches when it's declared an acceptable criticism by you and your little clique.

I have been more than willing to criticize the minority fans out there who are focused on Yao exclusively. But many of you are putting far too large a group of people with PERFECTLY VALID complaints within that category.

None of the "GIVE YAO THE DAMN BALL" threads I've seen in the past week has come on the aftermath of an impressive Rockets performance; how about you? I've yet to read a "Francis is selfish" post after a game in which Francis > 8 assists; you? I've yet to see a "I'm so happy Yao Ming did well" post after a tough Rockets loss; where are they?

We have every right, based on the actual performance we've seen on the court, to question the number of touches Yao is getting and the flow of the offense. And indeed, that's something I'd expect out of true Rockets fans as well as the "Yao-only" ones.

17. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Basically, after '95, the team went up or down alongside the health and performance of Hakeem. Unfortunately, due to age, Hakeem's performance started to decline before we entered the new century. However, the Rockets seeing this embarked on a sincere rebuilding path... drafting Stevie Francis three years ago and having already picked up Cuttino Mobley. The move was to youth and RudyT scripted a new "guard" oriented plan for these young players. Ironically, the OLD gameplan of surrounding Hakeem with the younger Francis and Mobley is in fact, resurrected. Today, instead of Hakeem, we have Yao...

How's that for ironies???

:p :p :p

feisfriendSAGE

18. dsong

dsong Member

SageHare6, do you think poeple will like to read your list. Just enjoy yourself. Don't treat yourself as donkey so far I don't think you are!

19. SageHare6

SageHare6 Member

Oh, and FYI, heech has a valid point.
    Don't piss off my pal, heech
    We took on that idiot, Rick Chan, together.

:mad: :mad: :mad:

heechspalSAGE

20. derrock

derrock Contributing Member

Luckily, Yao is 22 while Hakeem, say all that drama didn't happen and he was still here, would have been 40 next January. That is why I love the NBA Draft!!!