1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hassan Whiteside?!

Discussion in 'NBA Draft' started by The Rock MVP, May 19, 2010.

1. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

you're speaking in hypotheticals. Why would Sac even want a PF and the 14 for the 5th pick (Cousins)? They wouldn't and I'm sure Morey begged them but it's still not a fair trade.

Morey said the price was too high. Morey said that teams wanted future picks and cash for 2nd rounders this year. That's what they were charging him and he declined.

2. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Can a guy be a good shotblocker and still be a major defensive liability?

[rquoter]
    coachthorpe

Whiteside sleeps thru defensive possessions until a shot blocking opp arises. Then he wakes up quickly.

[/rquoter]

3. madmonkey37

madmonkey37 Contributing Member

marcus camby

4. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Jeff Van Gundy disagrees. Camby makes outstanding defensive rotations.

I do wish we had Whiteside, he looks solid. He needs to put on some muscle, but it looks like he is an NBA player to me.

#144 RudyTBag, Jul 16, 2010
    Last edited: Jul 16, 2010
  5. towW

towW Member

imho... Hassan Whiteside > Patrick Patterson

^ Seeing how stacked we are at the PF somehow ending up with Hassan Whiteside would have been a better fit filling in the sore spot at the shotblocking Center position.

6. towW

towW Member

Sorry for spamming but: His size/athleticism and mentality to block shots doesn't come around too often.

7. roslolian

roslolian Member

Sac isn't the only one able to pick Cousins. They could have traded with Minny (who probably wanted a pf since he's signing Darko and shipping Jefferson out) instead.

The reason DM said the price was too high was because he was saving assets for a possible Bosh trade. If they hadn't done that who knows, they might have been able to package the expirings and picks into a higher lottery pick.

8. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

For 2nd rd picks, the price was high because those teams going into free agency wanted all the capspace they could have. Menawhile, dallas just bought a 1st rd pick. The cost of 2nd rd picks went up and the 1st rd pick went down.

9. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

probably only pays attention when either his man has the ball or a opposing player beats a teammate and is taking it to the rim. otherwise he probably isnt big on rotations or playing pick and roll defense etc.

think stromile swift. guy was a good shotblocker but routinely played horrible defense

10. roslolian

roslolian Member

This doesn't even make sense. Are you saying DM and his staff were so fixated on getting 2nd round picks they didn't bother asking if teams were willing to sell their 1st round picks for cash straight up? Les just shelled out 8M last year for the rights to C-bud, Lull and JT. I'm sure he wouldn't have balked at the extra half-a-mill or so he would have to pay at signing a late first rounder over a 2nd rounder.

The Rockets wanted to buy a pick with just $$$, just like how they did the last few drafts. Nobody wanted to sell us anything just for $$$, for fear we're gonna get another Landry or Brooks and make them look bad. End of story.

11. roslolian

roslolian Member

I don't even know why you're disagreeing with me. In the bolded part above you basically just restated what I said :confused:

12. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

I don't think anyone was afraid to sell picks to Morey because he might pick another good player. It's just that future picks plus cash was what the market dictated. NBA GMs don't make decisions out of fear of other GMs. Not even fear of Morey. ;)

13. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

That would be pretty funny though.

Petrie: Suuuuureee we'll sell you the pick Morey, but out of curiosity who are you going to take with it?

Morey: Whiteside..

/hangs up.

With the 33rd pick in the NBA Draft, the Sacramento Kings select Hassan Whiteside, forward out of Marshall.

14. roslolian

roslolian Member

For Morey you mean. As Leeb already noted, other teams were able to buy picks purely for $$$. Also you're pretty much wrong if you assume these GMs are cold, mechanical thinkers. Jerry West couldn't do anything after his rep spread later in his GM career, literally no one wanted to deal with him. Same thing with Dumars after his bad-boys revival took off. Its no coincidence these GMs (along with Pritchard) were high-volume traders but got reduced to FA signings once their reps took off.

15. Gimmmethemike

Gimmmethemike Member

WTH this thread still exists? Close this thread already, no one gives a damn about WHITESIDE and he's not even a Houston Rocket!

16. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

Jerry West couldn't get any deal done? Literally no one wanted to deal with him?

He traded the draft rights to Kendick Perkins and Marcus Banks for the draft rights to Dahntay Jones and Troy Bell.

He trade Wesley Johnson for Bonzi Wells.

He traded Drew Gooden for Mike Miller.

He acquired guard Eddie Jones from the Miami Heat for guards Jason Williams, Andre Emmett and James Posey; acquired guard Raul Lopez from the Utah Jazz as part of a five-team trade.

He traded Battier for Rudy Gay's draft rights and Stromile Swift.

17. roslolian

roslolian Member

Those trades you mentioned encompassed his entire 6 year career already in Memphis. Compare the volume of transactions he had when he was the Lakers' GM and when he was the Grizz' GM and you can see his activity went down went down significantly. In his final year of GMship he didn't even make a single trade the entire year.

And what about Dumars and Pritchard, which are more telling examples of this phenomenon? Dumars came out swinging his first few years as GM making a lot of high-risk high reward volume trades. As soon as the bad boys were completed though, all of his trades devolved into dumping minor players for 2nd round picks or other minor players. The only major trade he made after completing his 11-player trade behemoth for Rasheed Wallace was dumping Billups for AI. That was it. There were no more of those ballsy established veteran-for-unproven talent moves that netted him Billups, Wallace, Prince and Hamilton. Did Dumars get complacent after the bad boy were created and contented himself with minor tinkering? Considering this was the guy who fired Carlisle who was doing well for Brown, I doubt it. Most likely nobody wanted to do high-risk rewards with him for fear of being on the short end of the stick.

With Pritchard, if you look at his buying practices he went from getting 1st round picks for $$$, to getting 2nd round picks for $$$, to trading $$$ AND a second round pick to move up last year to finally not buying a pick at all this year. You also have the Darius Miles fiasco where anonymous GMs were quoted as saying they will sign DM just to spite Pritch.

Fact is, most GMs let their emotions color their decisions, which is why majority of the GMs in the league are mediocre.

18. BimaThug

Supporting Member

I'm going to have to call "shenanigans" on you for this one.

The ONLY pick purchased for straight-up cash in this year's draft was the #25 pick, for which the Mavericks paid $3M. To my knowledge, not a single other pick was sold for cash. Several second rounders were swapped for one another or future picks, however.

1 person likes this.
  19. roslolian

roslolian Member

One transaction is enough to prove my point. If another team was able to buy picks for cash why were the Rox required to give up future picks? Why is there different asking prices for the same commidty?

Although they went about it in a round-a-bout way, the Thunder used cash to get a ton of assets as well. By taking on Cook, they were able to upgrade their own pick to a lottery pick. If a salary dump enabled you to get an almost top 10 lottery pick, why would other teams be unwilling to sell 2nd round or late 1st rounders for cash?

Honestly I'm surprised so many distinguished posters here can't fathom GMs don't always make impartial decisions. They are human beings just like the rest of us, and its only normal they will let emotions like fear and jelousy cloud their judgement.

20. BimaThug

Supporting Member

Huh???? I have no idea what that even means. You point is absolutely, positively NOT proven. Memphis had three first rounders going into the draft. They also are in financial shambles. The Mavs came calling with the absolute maximum cash available. How do you extrapolate from that that other picks could also have been obtained for cash? Sure, you could probably get a mid-second rounder for $3M, but that would just be stupid.

The Thunder traded the #32 pick (a high value pick) in the Cook trade. And then they traded TWO first rounders to get up to the #11 pick.

I'll agree with you that some GMs act on emotion. But I think you overestimate that emotion as a factor. It will certainly make some GMs reluctant to deal with some people, but in the end, they usually try to do what they think is best for their organization. Still, your point is well taken there.