1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hasheem Thabeet - TipJar Bet Anyone

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by JayZ750, Feb 16, 2011.

1. Burko

Burko Member

This guy is a stereotypical Youtube player.

Make a highlight film and anyone can look decent.

If you take a look at his game, not just the highlights and his deficiencies are plain to see.

If i was 7 foot I'd take rebounds under no pressure and throw down uncontested dunks as well....

2. moreyball

moreyball Member

Hasheem = Hakeem?

3. Tonaaayyyy

Tonaaayyyy Member

Anyone that will take up all of Brad Miller's minutes would be a plus for this team.

4. mrjuandiego1988

every player gets dunked on, no im not saying that! dont twist my ish just to get a laugh. im just putting a name out there thats more in the range of thabeets ability right now and could be better than. not saying hes hakeem, mark eaton, like some brainless posters think! im saying if bradly can be an nba center im sure as hell feel like thabeet can be 1 too!

5. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Have you seen Brad Miller do these things??

6. OremLK

OremLK Member

I still believe he can be a dominant shotblocker/rebounder in this league if he ever gets the chance to actually play. I don't know whether he'll ever have much offensive game.

Seriously look at his stats last season, 3.6 blocks per 36 minutes, 9.9 rebounds, as a rookie.

Kind of sad that such a high draft pick appears to have a ceiling as a useful roleplayer, but I sure wouldn't mind having him on the Rockets for the right price, since his highest potential are in the areas where we have the most need...

7. OremLK

OremLK Member

And by the way I don't think you can judge much off of this season... he's played a whopping eight minutes per game... I doubt he even gets time to break a sweat most of the games he checks in.

8. Burko

Burko Member

My point is that anyone can look good in a mixtape...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XwDwG6t8AIw

I havent watched that, but i'll bet it makes Brad Miller look like an offensive monster.

9. leebigez

leebigez Contributing Member

I see it as a free look. Brad makes 4.4m for the next 3 yrs. If morey can include miller in the deal, get a yr and a half look thabeet, why not. What are the other options besides Asik. Get the guy and maybe the next coach will play him alot. If he doesnt work out, they can cut him loose after next season, no harm in that.

10. RudyTBag

RudyTBag Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

It is also plain to see his strengths.

He can be a dominant shotblocker and an excellent rebounder.

He has that ability.

That has value.

11. Z-Ro&Trae

Z-Ro&Trae Member

brad miller was actually pretty good on the kings though. at least he was a better players back then compared to now in houston.

12. OremLK

OremLK Member

Uh, yeah, Brad Miller in his prime actually was a really good player. The problem is he's not in his prime anymore, not even close, this is his age 34 season.

13. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

I'll bet $10 he won't be a Rocket.

He is a slow reacting foul machine with no offense what so ever.

You think Hill is bad? Thabeet makes Hill look like a young Amar'e.

He's two years away from being a fringe NBA center or out of the league.

14. Kojirou

Kojirou Member

Then why hasn't he shown that at all? I'm not talking getting off the bench. I'm talking even with the minutes he gets, he is not a dominant shot blocker or rebounder. PER36, he gets 1.3 blocks a game and less than 8 rebounds a game. Ignoring that he can't play 36 minutes without fouling out anyways, and that obviously his rate would go down playing 36 minutes as opposed to eight, and those are hardly dominant numbers at all.

15. herro

herro Member

I honestly want to take a chance on Thabeet. I feel like right now is the perfect time to buy low on OJ Mayo, and Thabeet is an intriguing filler for a deal.

C. Lee + whoever for Mayo + Thabeet

16. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

He reminds me of this guy -

[​IMG]

A big guy but no mobility or ability. A 7+foot stiff.

Yes he rebounded and dunked on an undersized Rockets team. What has he done against the rest of the league? Its easy to get carried away with a guy who you only see a limited sample of , especially when he is so much bigger than his opposition. Just about every team with some size rebounds and dunks on the Rockets.

I want to see this team get a center as bad as anyone - Making a move out of desperation , which is what this seems like to me is just the worng way to go about it.

Last nights loss really hurt their chances of landing that 8 seed. Being 5 games back with 25 to go and no less than 4 teams to leap in the standings. It just doesnt seem likely now.
    Rather than investing considerable assets into the C spot and marginally improving the team (If at all) I'd prefer to see them improve at the SF spot.

There will be several centers available in the offseason , all of which are better players than Thabeet.

As for your statement about Twill - the juy is still out , we havent seen a large enough sample of his play. He has tools and potential , but he has to show he can put them to use.

17. Dreamin

Dreamin Member

If there was ever a low risk-high reward move for 7 footer - ThaBeet is the man. Seriouly how many guys are there with his size and atheleticism who are available. The guy just needs experience. I think he could be had cheap too.

Memphis want someone who can contribute. They dont really need a presence down low as they already have Randolph and Gasol plus Arthur is proving to be solid as well. I think Miller would could give them solid 10-15 minutes production on the bench for the Grizzlies. Plus he can provide them with sound vet and leadership skills.

Miller for Thabeet straight up. There is no way this makes any teams worse off but instead improves both.

18. AggNRox

AggNRox Member

he is pretty much a black shawn bradley. do you still want him? :cool:

19. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

If that was all it took to get him , I'd be OK with it. But tell me , why would Memphis do this deal for an aging center who cant defend and has this season plus two more on his contract. They are better off keeping Thabeet if for nothing else than to see if he can improve.

20. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Anyone drooling over Thabeet's potential hasn't seen him play, not even in college. They see highlight reels on youtube, read a Draftexpress article, and ignore all his flaws. It's delusional. People were high on Jordan Hill too, saying he had Bosh or Amare potential. Then he actually got PT and showed a million holes in his game. Both of these guys have all the physical tools, they just don't know how to play.

Thabeet was the easiest bust to spot since Patrick O'Bryant. Let's not waste our time.