1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has your stance on gay marriage changed?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by cml750, Jun 27, 2015.

Tags:
?

Has your stance on gay marriage changed?

1. I have always supported gay marriage.

59.3%
  2. I now support gay marriage but was previously against it

12.6%
  3. I have never supported gay marriage.

14.8%
  4. I do not like it but do not really care.

13.3%
  1. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

You are not.

Why not 6 consenting adults? If two have that right why can't 6 people who love each other get married? .

If you can use the 14th amendment for this interpretation you can use it for anything.

2. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

Intellectual weaksauce.

3. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

And this is the post of an intellectual giant....

4. Uprising

Uprising Contributing Member

I selected the last response, but not liking it isn't true. I just really don't care all that much. I think it's stupid how crazy people get over the topic.

Love is love. I couldn't careless beyond that. I'm not one to be waking rainbow flags or making my Facebook photo color rainbow, but I do support equality. Let them be happy and miserable like everyone else is at times.

5. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I see nothing wrong with Polygamy. Many probably live that life styles prior to marriage, so I'm quite sure most of them don't want marriage. Not something I consider, but that's just me. I wouldn't force others to my way of living. Now, that's a mess to figure out, but I'm sure lawyers would love that headaches.

6. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

The difference is that plural marriage is not allowed to any group. Before the SCOTUS ruling, marriage between 2 adults was allowed to certain groups and not others.

There's a pretty big difference between allowing any 2 adults to get married and allowing plural marriage. That said, if they decide to legalize plural marriage, I'd hope it would be any combination of partners rather than just polygamy or polyandry excluding other forms.

That said, instead of asking "why wouldn't it?", you should probably first ask, "why would it?"

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

No because you would have to an institution where equal protection is provided to all parties of the polygamist marriage. That sort of institution doesn't exist and has never existed with polygamist marriages.

In theory such a system could be established for all parties have equal rights in a plural marriage but at the moment that legal model doesn't exist. Equal protection doesn't apply because the government currently doesn't have a legal model to apply.

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

How does legal same sex marriage unravel the strong family unit of this country? If anything allowing gays to marry with the same rights and responsibilities of heterosexual marriage should strengthen the family unit.

Yes divorce lawyers might rejoice because with gay marriage comes gay divorce. That said I don't see how gays marrying will cause more divorces among straight people.

9. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

The pace of change in public opinion has been incredibly fast.

I doubt that even the most ardent supporter of gay rights could claim their stance has not changed significantly over the years.

10. LCAhmed

LCAhmed Contributing Member

Religiously, I do not agree with gay marriage. As an American, I believe everyone has the right to get married, take advantage of tax breaks, etc. So, I do not like gay marriage personally, but in the end, my life has not changed because the Supreme Court passed gay marriage as legal.

1 person likes this.
  11. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

These outlandish hypothetical scare tactics are the same types of things people said after the end of the sodomy law back in the early 2000's.

"First sodomy is legal, next thing you know bestiality, incest and bigamy will all be legal!!!!11"

Shockingly, it's been over a decade and none of that has actually happened.

12. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I wish I could invest in divorce court.

13. robbie380

robbie380 ლ(▀̿Ĺ̯▀̿ ̿ლ)
    Supporting Member

Marriage was not created to defend the family for the sake of the children. There isn't much in history to back up that argument. Also, homosexual couples divorce at lower rates than heterosexual couples. Does this make them bad for the family?

14. gifford1967

gifford1967 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm 47 and my support of gay marriage hasn't changed since I became aware of the issue. I will say that when the Republicans were successfully using it as a wedge issue with their anti-gay state referendums during off year elections, I briefly wished gay activists would back off. That lasted for about five minutes. Then I just thought "**** it", they should push as hard as they want. This is their lives.

15. ivanyy2000

ivanyy2000 Contributing Member

Progressives, why stop at gay marriage? If the world is like what you claimed, love prevails everything and anyone can marry whoever he/she loves, why stop at two? If a dude love two women and they love him, or a women loves another women and a man and they love her, why can't they get married as long as all parties agree?

If no such system exists yet, why not create one? People should be free to do whatever they want, right?

16. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

All I've seen on that one was a small study that found divorce rates in 4 years in the states where it was legal showing a slower rate -- and then a retraction later saying that they didn't do the math correctly and the rate was actually the same. Are you referencing this study, or something else?

17. FTW Rockets FTW

FTW Rockets FTW Contributing Member

I don't give a rats ass about gay marriage.

However, I do care for the mindset of all idiots in all countries who have changed their display pic on fb with the 3 color gay marriage symbol without a clue what it's for.

18. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

You're missing the point. Okierock was talking about equal protection and not about love. The truth is this ruling doesn't change who loves who or how many. It actually isn't even about morals. It is about the equal application of an existing legal institution to be gender neutral. Justice Kennedy writes some very moving language in his opinion which people quote but the two principles he cites that matters are the Full Faith and Credit Clause and the Equal Protection clauses in the Constitution. Under those once a state provides for legal marriage it should be gender neutral and also be recognized by all states. Same Sex marriage isn't an invention from nowhere but is an extension of an existing legal frame work.

19. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Again with the silly hypotheticals.

20. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I heard Rick Santorum say on tv that marriage isn't about adults at all, that it's entirely about the children.

What a ridiculous thing to say.