1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has your stance on gay marriage changed?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by cml750, Jun 27, 2015.

Tags:
?

Has your stance on gay marriage changed?

1. I have always supported gay marriage.

59.3%
  2. I now support gay marriage but was previously against it

12.6%
  3. I have never supported gay marriage.

14.8%
  4. I do not like it but do not really care.

13.3%
  1. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

I actually assumed it was legal when I was younger. There was some episode of "Roc" where the promos showed one of his friends said he was getting married, then he found out it was to a guy. That was the only time I'd heard references to gay marriage, much like Affirmative Action which only came up during Clarence Thomas' hearing, Hopwood and Lino Graglia. By the time it had become an issue I was probably sufficiently social liberal, and as a minority figured we just had to pay it forward.

2. moestavern19

moestavern19 Member

I was raised in the confines of ultra-conservative religious fanaticism. I did not know a gay or a liberal until I was an adult. My entire life viewpoint shifted a few years after removal from that environment. I support equal rights and that is what the issue is about to me, not morality. Christians seem to take a huge issue with homosexuality although Jesus Christ is never quoted in the Bible saying anything to denounce the practice. The Apostle Paul does speak against it in the New Testament, but he also says it is "disgraceful" for a woman to speak in Church.

Christians will convienently equate this as Paul's own personal bias against women, yet will claim "all words in the Bible are directly from God" in regard to the passage where Paul speaks against gays. Just another example of the prevelent cognitive dissonance in religious belief. Either every word of the Bible is God verbatim, or it is open to interpretation much like a fortune cookie. There is no middle ground.

3. BabyClutch

BabyClutch Contributing Member

I personally have always been for gay marriage but I was absolutely in the minority at my high school. Have 3/4 of people here ALWAYS been for it though? That's very high. At my school it would have been <10% not even ten years ago.

4. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

I understand -- thanks for the thoughtful post.

5. dback816

dback816 Member

It's amazing that some people let a magical sky man tell them how to treat their fellow human beings.

6. arkoe

arkoe (ง'̀-'́)ง

High school arkoe I would call mildy indifferent but in favor of other people doing their own thing if it didn't directly effect him. Granted, high school arkoe might have some crude jokes.

Adult arkoe has gotten grumpier, so the crude jokes may be cruder but also further in between. That said, adult arkoe finds even more he wants to do his own thing if it doesn't directly negatively effect others, so let other people due their own thing if it doesn't directly negatively arkoe. Additionally, schooled arkoe now understands more of the reasons why gay couples want marriage rights, most of which reasons adult arkoe supports (being able to make decisions for the other partner and whatnot).

I'm not really sure where that means I fall in the poll, some mix of 1 and 4.

I've always considered religion something that should be focused inward, so that and being taught separation of church and state for so long the religious argument against has never made sense to me.

I have also never understood why two people wanting to love each other can cause so much hate in someone else.

7. DFWRocket

DFWRocket Member

I don't think the ruling has changed anyone's views, but There are plenty of us that have changed our minds over the years. I also think a primary element missing here is the age of the posters in this thread, as many of us grew up in a different times where the overall culture had different beliefs about gay people.

Me personally - as a 42yr old, I've known openly gay people since high school, whereas my wife who is only 5yrs older never knew any openly gay people until her brother came out when they were in their 30's. In the 90s I would've said no to gay marriage and civil unions. In the early 200's I supported civil Unions but thought it should be a statewide issue, but a few years ago I changed my rationality to support gay marriage on a national level.

8. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

Over the last few decades, I've gone from thinking they should only be allowed to have civil unions to where I am now -which is supporting gay marriage 100%. Probably felt this way for the last 10 years or so.

Maybe this goes with my overall shift over the last decade from being a staunch conservative to being an EXTREME moderate.

9. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

I don't really care, but am happy for the few gay people I know, apparently it makes them happy and it doesn't affect me negatively, so why would I have a problem with it.

10. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

If it was a magical sky man, it would be different. Few would question it if a magical sky man told us first hand. The amazing part is people letting other people, who got their information from other people (priests and pastors), who got their information from a couple of lines in a book which was translated from a language that is no longer spoken, that was written by people over many years about people who lived hundreds and thousands of people before them that claimed the magical sky man talked to them, dictate how they should treat fellow human beings. Even if you don't take into account all the agendas from all the people involved, it would still be amazing.

11. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

I don't like the way that the supreme court created a right out of thin air. I do believe that two people should be allowed to bond themselves together in the eyes of the state.

Marriage was created to defend the family for the sake of the children created in that lifelong bond. With the rate of divorce in our country that statement seems like a joke now. The unraveling of a strong family unit in our country will continue to be the outcome.

But hey, divorce lawyers rejoice!

12. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

They didn't do that at all. One set of people who loved a certain set of people had a right to marry them while another set of people who loved a certain set of people were not afforded the same exact right. They decided that all people should have the same exact right, regardless of the sex of the person they were marrying.

13. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

My stance certainly changed. In no small part to this board right here. I never gave much consideration to the number of rights that come with marriage. I don't like how the decision was reached, but the country is better off just allowing gay marriage. It is so much easier to just allow gay marriage than to constantly create special laws/rules to try and extend the same benefits to gay couples.

We got caught up too much in the term "marriage." It was treated as something sacred, but that isn't what it should be in the eyes of the government. For the government, it is purely a domestic partnership agreed upon by 2 adults (with exceptions) that guarantee each partner certain rights.

14. okierock

okierock Contributing Member

Why stop at 2 people? Read your statement, with your explanation you can't stop at two people because the next "group" loves each other and has a right to marry.

FWIW, I don't think it will stop at two people and it may even go in other directions as well. Why wouldn't it?

15. dback816

dback816 Member

Yes, we've legalized what two functional, consenting adult are allowed to do, therefore the next step is clearly going to be a grown man and a 13 year old who just discovered internet p*rn.

You're a genius.

16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

It's not even really that.

I get the religious aspect of it. But if you go down that road, you have to be consistent.

Do not wear clothing woven of two kinds of material. Leviticus 19:19

Ye shall not round the corners of your heads. Leviticus 19:27

You may purchase male or female slaves from among the foreigners who live among you. You may also purchase the children of such resident foreigners, including those who have been born in your land. You may treat them as your property, passing them on to your children as a permanent inheritance. You may treat your slaves like this, but the people of Israel, your relatives, must never be treated this way. Leviticus 25:44-46 NLT

Slaves, obey your earthly masters with deep respect and fear. Serve them sincerely as you would serve Christ. Ephesians 6:5 NLT

Whosoever … hath any blemish, let him not approach to offer the bread of his God. For whatsoever man he be that hath a blemish, he shall not approach: a blind man, or a lame, or he that hath a flat nose, or any thing superfluous, Or a man that is brokenfooted, or brokenhanded, Or crookbackt, or a dwarf, or that hath a blemish in his eye, or be scurvy, or scabbed, or hath his stones broken … He shall not go in unto the vail, nor come nigh unto the altar, because he hath a blemish; that he profane not my sanctuaries. Leviticus 21:17-23 KJV

Anyone who has two shirts should share with the one who has none, and anyone who has food should do the same. Luke 3:11 NIV

Nor should there be obscenity, foolish talk or coarse joking, which are out of place. Ephesians 5:4 NIV

Leviticus 19:28 “Ye shall not make any cuttings in your flesh for the dead, nor print any marks upon you: I am the Lord.”

17. justtxyank

justtxyank Contributing Member

I'd like to see all the anti-gay marriage crowd line up and obey that command directly from the mouth of Christ.

18. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

The hypothetical "what's next?" argument is such a cop out.

19. Rocketman95

Rocketman95 Hangout Boy

I used the word person. Singular.

20. bnb

bnb Contributing Member

oxymoron ;).