1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has there ever been a shooter like Troy Daniels?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by rockbox, Oct 14, 2014.

1. shadowmantis

shadowmantis Member

He reminds me of Glen Rice so much, it's not even funny.

2. Voice of Aus

Voice of Aus Contributing Member

I can't wait to see him playing with harden, dwight, ariza/papa and an improved bev all at the same time

3. Dave_78

Dave_78 Member

For being on the smaller side for a SG, I'm impressed with his range. His stroke looks just as strong and mechanically sound from 27 feet as it does from 17 feet. There is no "heave" to his shot when shooting deep like you tend to see with the smaller, weaker players.

I'm very impressed with the kid and expect him to make huge strides this season. Terry should be a huge help in teaching Daniels how to get himself open. On the defensive side, he seems to have enough hustle in him to be a competent defender of most SG in the league. Beverly and Ariza can help him improve.

4. nachbarFTW

nachbarFTW Member

No talk about Steve Nash being one of the greatest shooters of all time?

5. krosfyah

krosfyah Contributing Member

Would a good comparison be Calvin Murphy? A small, aggressive scoring 2-guard that can shoot.

Calvin could also penetrate so we haven't seen that yet. But as soon as folks realize they can't leave Daniels unguarded on the perimeter, then that'll open up the driving lanes. Can Daniels take advantage of that? If so, Murphy comparisons seem valid.

6. mkahanek

mkahanek Member

I remember Chris Jackson (Abdul-rauf) could go bat ***** hot. Remember a couple in Karl Malones face while falling on his butt that were awesome.

7. Jake Tower

Jake Tower Member

He shoots like his father, Calvin Murphy.

8. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Nash is. The reason why he is not usually mentioned with all those great shooters is because Nash is better known for his play making. I think if Nash was a shoot-first guy, he would have gone down as one of the best.

9. mightybosstone

I like Daniels and I hope he becomes an elite 3-point shooter, but Steph Curry right now pretty much puts all other 3-point shooters to shame. He's ridiculous.

10. RedEyesKirby

RedEyesKirby Member

Can he do it for the entire season? Playing 25+ minutes per game? If he can then you have a case. Right now it's waaayyy too early. Steve Novak is more credible than Troy Daniels at this point.

11. Tfor3

Tfor3 Member

He is pretty good, no doubt

12. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

A few weeks ago I went back and looked at his mechanics because I was looking for great shooters in the NBA with bad form. His mechanics were actually damn good - a whole lot better than I remembered.

The place where he sets it back above his head is a little weird, but everything else is textbook. And the location where he comes set, despite being set, doesn't cause problems anywhere else. If anything, it forces that crazy arc. Usually people who pull it back like that "push" the ball, like T Jones does, but Purvis' motion went up. Part of the problem is he had really, really long arms. It's easier to get the "L" form if your arms are a bit shorter.

The most important point for a shooter - center of palm, directly under the center of gravity of the ball, hand aligned with fingers pointing back, and elbow directly under the wrist, and the motion goes up rather than forward. That is the one thing you see repeatedly. The only good shooter that violates that that I can find is Reggie Miller.

A great shooter that I haven't seen mentioned (probably because he is so old) was Dave Bing. Because he was in the pre - 3 pointer era, most of his shots came from mid range, but if the three point line had been around, he would have been one of the all time greats.

Has anybody mentioned Kiki Vandeweghe yet? He did a great job of reducing his motion so that is was as simple as possible. I'd let him teach anybody how to shoot.

#92 Ottomaton, Oct 16, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2014
  13. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Reminds me a little of Eddie Johnson or Dale Ellis.

DD

14. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

So basically Daniels is one of the greatest of all time.

15. GanjaRocket

GanjaRocket Member

maybe but lets let the man shoot a few in his first full season as a rotation player..

16. Rashmon

Rashmon Contributing Member

If you read this thread that is the impression one might get...

Seems like he would at least be a starter.

[​IMG]

17. mollamar

mollamar Contributing Member

Watch some Reggie Miller. Or Larry Bird.

I might even put Dirk and Terry into the discussion along with Ray Allen as has been mentioned.

All mean they combined the accuracy with the willingness to shoot from any spot. More importantly, they did it under high pressure playoff defining situations, and some (Bird, Miller) in an era of much looser perimeter defense rules (hand checks). I suspect today's new breed of shooters (Troy, Novak, Kapono) would not fare well under those circumstances.

#97 mollamar, Oct 17, 2014
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2014
  18. Air Canada

Air Canada Member

Naw, but R.I.P.

PEJA >>>>>>>>

19. Panda23

Panda23 Member

HIT ME ON MA PEJA

20. Solaris

Solaris Member

Hear that Jordan guy was pretty good too.