1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has Omer Asik played his last game as a Rocket already?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by OldfanofTmac, Jan 3, 2014.

1. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

Look. If the offers for him in December (when the market IS better for a vet starting center) were as bad as they were, we can only image how terrible the offers were in the Summer.

By all accounts if Morey would have traded Asik in the Summer he could have been taking back contracts and poor performing players that might very well have been damaging to the org moving forward... which is worse than just paying Asik to stay away from the team.

Of course we have no idea if the offers (assume there were SOME) were any good, but logic would tell us that they would have been even worse than the crappy Bass/Lee/pick trade proposal... in which case I'd rather have Asik, or take my chances at getting a better deal at the deadline.

2. MadMaxwell

MadMaxwell Member

Thanks

3. thebeardedwon

thebeardedwon Member

Canaan is a bro! I can't wait to see him play.

4. EightDoobies

EightDoobies Member

He seems okay to me, stop messing with cookie ladies Asik and go help us get a ring.

5. Joe Joe

Joe Joe Go Stros!
    Supporting Member

and is healthy.

6. gmoney411

gmoney411 Member

I'm not really sure that logic tells us that the offers would have been worse during the summer. Apparently teams are being scared away by his salary next year but that cost would have been diminished if you trade for him before the season because you only end up paying him $5MM for all of this year. Also, Asik hadn't went into full quit mode this summer and teams probably thought he was more valuable to us than he currently appears to be. Morey is a wizard and I still believe that he can get good value for Asik but I don't think I agree that Morey was in a better position in December than the summer.

7. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

It's very strange how little information there is about this.

8. Remlap

Remlap Member

So a thigh bruise has turned Asik into Greg Oden? What's the deal?
    At first I bought into it, but a thigh bruise taking 2 months to heal? Something's fishy here. New agent, all of a sudden can't play.......Hmmmmmmm
    So who would want to trade for a max player with 2 bad knees? No wonder we can't move him.
    This is a sham and he's sabotaging our season. Not fair to the team or the fans.
    We are wasting a major roster spot on someone who is faking injury
    Either he's pouting and refusing to play (and the team is covering for him) or he
    has a career threatening injury. No one has mentioned anything remotely that.
    I used to be an Asik fan. Not so much anymore

9. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

He won't play for us any more!

10. PeterKingX

PeterKingX Member

Honestly I dislike this guy so much. I would rather discuss Royce White.

11. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Not really,here a report from Marc Stein himself where he said there are a lot of offers for Asik,but Rockets didn't want to and thought they could convince him to stay and back up Dwight after he played as a starter which was wrong,Morey screwed big time

[youtube]RV2_TsVoXb0[/youtube]

12. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

Can't watch the video at work but going by your text, yeah, if it's all true, Morey screwed the pooch.

The Rockets gave Asik a shot as a starter, then tell him he's gonna be a 14 mpg backup.

Look, I'm not happy with the way Asik's handled this, not at all, but this might be the downside of having a stats-nerd steering the ship.

"Look at the stats! This can work!"

"Use your own eyes. Asik looks like he's at his mother's funeral."

Certainly McHale and Morey were both apprehensive that Dwight's physical strength wasn't what it should have been when they signed him, so they thought Asik would be a good (if expensive) just-in-case option; and God knows they must have found it tough to let loose of the one Rocket (besides Beverly) who played any defense. Elite-level defense, if I might throw that out there.

And you never know, maybe Asik was supposed to be one of the pieces to trade if an All Star shook loose from a team that found itself foundering mid-season.

Still, I'll have faith that Morey's awake now and trying to rectify the situation. He has, after all, made H-town into H-town (Harden and Howard).

13. count_dough-ku

count_dough-ku Contributing Member

Morey has to trade Asik. Sorry, but the guy sitting at home collecting $8 million this season and twice that next season while never suiting up is not an option.

14. The_Yoyo

The_Yoyo Contributing Member

wasnt this in the summer? there would have been more suitors then willing to pay the cheaper 5 mill contract since there would be a benefit for them to do so, but Asik's trade value has gone down significantly since then because of his pouting to be honest.

I am sure there are plenty of offers coming in for Asik but there are probably all trades that would set the Rockets back (like Jordan Crawford) if anything so at that point its probably is better to just keep Asik - even if he is just on the bench his agent will get to him sooner than later than if he keeps pouting he is going to be only hurting himself for his future contract and that he should just man up for 1.5 seasons and play his role - people know he can play but they wont be willing to give him a big contract if they see this sort of petty behavior from him.

15. EssTooKayTD

EssTooKayTD Contributing Member

I know I lend nothing to this convo, but I want something to happen with Asik already! Buy-in to the role and play or find a deal that works for both teams already please!

OK, sorry. Back to my hole.

1 person likes this.
  16. ZNB

ZNB Contributing Member

He is not collecting 8 million this season. He is only getting paid 5 million this season. If CF posters cant get this right how can we expect other people to get it right.

17. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

[​IMG]

18. Little General

.... Asik to be back by the end of the month

<blockquote class="twitter-tweet" lang="en"><p>As for Rockets' rehabbers, <a href="https://twitter.com/patbev21">@patbev21</a> targeting return next week after exam yesterday. Omer Asik by end of month.</p>&mdash; Jonathan Feigen (@Jonathan_Feigen) <a href="https://twitter.com/Jonathan_Feigen/statuses/423508996104802305">January 15, 2014</a></blockquote>
    <script async src="//platform.twitter.com/widgets.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

19. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Looks like he wants to showcase himself for a trade

bout time Omer

20. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

I don't get the complaint about how Morey didn't traded Asik earlier.

First, we don't know what exactly was offered in the summer or at any other point. These offer may well be just as crappy as those being discussed now or perhaps even crappier.

Second, people complained about how Morey held on to guys like Kevin Martin and Kyle Lowry for too long, too, and supposedly only traded them after their value have declined due to performance or attitude issues.

Seems like things worked out well enough. The pick acquired via Lowry and Kevin Martin became a part of the Harden package, and then the team's performance with Harden & co. was good enough to entice Dwight Howard to sign up.

This isn't to say that Morey doesn't make decisions that turn out badly (Royce White, Terrence Williams) but the Asik situation is not finished yet.

#240 Carl Herrera, Jan 15, 2014
    Last edited: Jan 15, 2014