1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has Moreyball been discredited?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by celebrevida, May 11, 2017.

1. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

To me, Moreyball means using data to find an edge.

It doesn't necessarily mean shooting tons of 3s.

Yes, for a long time 3 pters were undervalued and teams were shooting too few. But things change and Moreyball tries to stay on top of the newest trends.

Getting guys like Beverley and Ariza on good value contracts is also part of Moreyball, as is accumulating assets to trade for Harden.

J Sizzle and roslolian like this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Can someone tell me what "Moreyball" is?

3. Mr. Clutch

Mr. Clutch Contributing Member

D'Antoni ball is different than Moreyball imo.

D'Antoni hates post ups, for example, but Morey doesn't.

4. xtruroyaltyx

xtruroyaltyx Member

[​IMG]

He been doin' this. Y'all new to it, he true to it.

No Chill Rocket and Mr. Clutch like this.
  5. roslolian

roslolian Member

It's just analytics analysis that got coined Moreyball because of Moneyball in baseball.

TBH Morey isn't even the forerunner for this, that would be the Spurs and Celtics (where Morey got his first gig). I guess Morey just became famous for doing it since he was the first number cruncher who became GM, prior to that these analytics geeks would just be the right hand man or somebody else "in the background" advising the GM.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Yeah, but I'm wondering if I should discredit "Moreyball" as the title of the thread says, but can't unless someone can quantify it. If it's just "analytics", that's damn-near every decision that's made on the court whether you like to believe it is or not. Maybe the Spurs' version of "analytics" beat the Rockets' version. Maybe it wasn't "analytics" but execution or the players? I don't know... just trying to see what this "Moreyball" is since he seems to continually be adjusting his beliefs on what works and doesn't. It's not like the Spurs don't use analytics... they've hired some big names in the field, were voted the best analytical team in pro sports a couple of years ago at the Sloan Sports Analytics Conference. The Spurs, Cavs, and Warriors are all heavy users of analytics in decision-making, and they're the 3 or so elite teams in the league.

What happened this year was awesome, except for the ending which was a complete dud. But now, we may need to adjust our beliefs (Morey and D'Antoni) in what works or say the belief system will work, but we need better believers (players). D'Antoni is pretty gung-ho and adamant about what he believes in, while I think Morey is continually evolving and changing, so I'm kind of eager to see what becomes of this.

roslolian likes this.
  7. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

Not overvaluing players for whom one has a personal affinity and trying to use reason over emotion and hunches.

MorningZippo likes this.
  8. roslolian

roslolian Member

But it really is just analytics, it's like when you look at RA's Read and react offense how different is that from Spoelstra's Pace and Space offense to Spur's wave offense that they employed during TD/Parker/Gino era? There are some slight variations but it's really the same thing but they still branded it as their own. The OP is just ignorant and assumes the Rockets are the only team in the league relying on analytics to make roster decision.

As for the bolded part yeah it's really that. Spurs had Kawhi and we had Ryan Anderson. I feel like basketball is a lot like losing weight, exercise and gym is only 20% but 80% comes from diet and sleep. In the same way, the game plan and coaching in game only counts for 20% but 80% is always execution. You can have the best game plan int he world and it will always lead to an open shot, but the player still has to make that shot. OTH you can be like the Cavs and have no gameplan and just ISO almost every play but still make it to the Finals.

9. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Sam. You've been discredited. Naturally you would be bitter.

10. PhiSlammaJamma

The key to success will be translating the perceived value of Gordon and Anderson into true assets. Or we need to bring them off the bench and pair Harden with true starters. Everything we have is inflated which can be good in the marketplace, but bad on the court.

daywalker02 likes this.
  11. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I dun think Moreyball was the No1 secret or plan this entire time. Sure it was highly effective on Offense but there was no Defense Morey Ball to counter other potent Offenses.

It won't be entirely discredited because it did not get all the credit the first time. We shouldn't wholly depend on it.

12. carib

carib Member

I have no problem with analytics because I think it is a very useful tool. I am not happy with the 3s and lay ups only strategy. I think we take away a portion of the court teams don't have to worry about the Rockets shooting from and gives the defense an advantage. The Rockets started 31-9 and were killing teams with the barrage of 3s. The league adjusted to the Rockets and started guarding the 3s and telling their bigs to stay at the rim. The Rockets went on an unimpressive 24-18 the rest of the way. Yes I agree in taking a lot of threes, I don't agree in passing up open mid range jumpers when that seems to be what the defense is allowing. The Warriors and Cavs are hard to stop because they take any open shot the defense gives them.

goldoil likes this.
  13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

The Warriors and Cavs are hard to stop because they are littered with All stars and future HOFs.

You guys are overthinking this. Our identity is fine, we just need more talent to run with more talented teams.

glynch likes this.
  14. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

ryno has been a huge discredit to moreyball these playoffs, both on the court and contractwise

J Sizzle likes this.
  15. dmoneybangbang

Moreyball isn't a bunch of contested 3 pointers.

16. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Yes Yes Yes. Lay off Morey and James. Only super teams with All Stars or recent ex All stars can hang with them.

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

If anything, the whole league, including both teams now in the NBA Finals, is moving toward the direction of "Moreyball" in terms of recognizing that 3 pointers, free throws and layups are far more efficient than midrange Js.

Both the Warriors and the Cavs are high volume 3-point shooting team, as are other successful teams.