1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Watching NBA Action
    WEST FINALS GAME 4 -- can the TWolves avoid being swept? Join us as we watch the NBA playoffs together...

LIVE: NBA Playoffs!
    Dismiss Notice

Has Morey found a taker(s) for Jeremy Lin? (Speculation on possible deals)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 5, 2014.

1. basketballholic

Oh??????????????????????

He's a middle of the road starting point guard being paid $15 million on a one year deal that needs a specific situation and a specific style of offense and a specific role in that offense to be successful. He's better than Raymond Felton, Brandon Jennings, and Jeff Teague. And he's a better pure playmaker than all but around 30 players in the NBA. He'd be good value for MLE money, great value for anything less than MLE money, slightly overpaid at $7-8 million per season.

Now......how is it that I value JLin a bit more than the rest of the league????

2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

People focus too much on the existing contracts and cap room.

The big challenge Morey faces is not creating cap room, but to actually convince a major player to want to come play for the Rockets in the first place. Without a star wanting to play with Harden and Howard, the cap room maneuvers are useless. The cap room part is a technicality that can be worked out if a star wants to choose Houston.

GSW had no cap room in summer 2013, managed to create room for Iguodala, and would have found a way to add Dwight, too (via sign and trade involving Bogut's then expiring contract plus other assets), if Dwight chose them.

There will be many teams chasing each of the best star players, among those will be a number of teams in good situations (market, teammates, etc.). Convincing such a player to choose your city out of all of his options is no joke.

3. Rox007

Rox007 New Member

Don't forget the Lakers as a possible destination for Lin. They have lots of cap room, only three signed players, and desperately need a spark of excitement. Lin could play point or the two, depending on whether its Kobe or Nash who is injured on any given night. $15 million--especially for an $8 million cap hit--is nothing to LA.

4. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

is that a joke? Teague is way better than Lin! He shreaded the pacers and had a fantastic year

5. PhatPharaoh

PhatPharaoh Member

the only thing Teague really needs to improve is his efficiency from 3, but besides that, he is a much better 2 way player than Lin IMO

6. Remii

Remii Member

Way overboard with that one. Lin is inconsistent and his inconsistencies makes him a bench player at best.

However I do believe Morehouse can trade him. Some team would take the chance on him just for the attention.

7. Remii

Remii Member

Fixed

8. houtown

houtown Member

Jeremy Lin is good when left on his own. With no restrictions and trusting his basketball instincts. I feel he his restricted a lot on this team. But maybe he just doesn't provide what this team needs. I have mixed feelings about him, but hopefully he can make it work in Houston even though his signing was a marketing move in my book.

9. ttdestroyer

ttdestroyer Member

Lin is better than Teague.

10. krnxsnoopy

krnxsnoopy Contributing Member

You're right, Teague is so much better than Lin. If we had Teague instead Lin, we would have won NBA Championship this year!

11. ItalianRocket

ItalianRocket Member

Hahaha

Just **** off and take Lin with you while you are at it.

12. basketballholic

Splash.......and so the thread once again degenerates into a LOF vs. LOH debate.

Guys........this is not about that. This is about Morey trading Lin and finding a team that will take Lin.

13. SirKen

SirKen Member

No team is taking Lin unless the deal is one sided (same for Asik). Everyone and their moms know what Morey is going after which gives Morey no leverage on these trades.

I am curious what he is going to do though. It is obvious that the current starters need help and Lin and Asik are not that interested in providing it. If they are not traded next year will be a complete waste again, in my opinion.

14. hooroo

hooroo Member

Asik has value. In a recent article it was claimed the reason why Asik was not traded at the deadlne was because Morey wanted the equivalent of three first round picks from the Bobcats.

15. basketballholic

Perhaps you are right. But I get the sense right now that we could move Lin by including cash and #25 and while that is a one-sided deal...it's not one-sided if in the end it yields back a player of the magnitude of Lebron, Love, or Melo.

16. pbthunder

pbthunder Contributing Member

Asik is easily worth the 14th pick, if you assume the rest of the trade is neutral. I. e., the other side has to throw in player(s), or give up cap space, which makes it a different proposition. If that other player is barely worth having (to us and to them), cap-wise, I think Asik is worth #10, maybe #8. Very good centers are hard to find.

17. King1

King1 Contributing Member

Good luck with that.

18. SirKen

SirKen Member

Of course he has value. Morey doesn't have any leverage right now though.

When I said one sided, I meant one sided trades themselves. The big picture is obviously different.

19. Liberon

Liberon Rookie

Some deal needs to be made to acquire Rondo. And let's give the PlayOffs another go...

20. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

You should be happy, you got 7 pages out of it. In reality, it only deserved one page (or post).

"Will Morey find someone to take Lin?"

Answer - "No".

/End thread

Why complain? There was already ample degeneration potential imbedded into the premise.