1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has Morey found a taker(s) for Jeremy Lin? (Speculation on possible deals)

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by basketballholic, Jun 5, 2014.

1. AndySwanny

AndySwanny Member

That'd be a perfect fit if they're willing to pay.

2. Rox23

Rox23 Member

If we wait a year we can maybe resign him for like $4 million, keeping one of the better backup pg's in the league on this team at a premium. With the savings we can then pursue a top notch free agent.

3. CantGoLeft

CantGoLeft Member

I think it's more likely that Asik is gone first. Lin is gone only if we're bringing in someone who can start if Beverley gets hurt again because I doubt Morey would go into next season with Canaan as the primary backup.

4. Kiddsir

Kiddsir Member

Again just like Asik asking price from Morey, 3first rounder.LOL. Genius Morey.

5. basketballholic

I just gave you a list of teams that are a possibility for Lin. Both guys don't have to be traded to the same team. And teams like Sacramento and Milwaukee with new ownership, a strong desire to go to the playoffs, the cap space to swallow Lin's contract, and a need for a good playmaker that have to spend 90% of the salary cap anyways under the current CBA are excellent candidates to take Lin.

6. ForTheWinYes

ForTheWinYes Member

Like Royce White, who the Rockets traded after meeting with Dwight and after Dwight chose to sign with the Rockets.

7. chenjy9

chenjy9 Numbers Don't Lie
    Supporting Member

And pigs could one day fly. People don't bank $15 million on unproven "could's". Getting anything positive out of Lin in a trade would be a blessing at this point.

8. hooroo

hooroo Member

Royce White's contract was insignificant. The Sixers made a small monetary profit as the cash considerations the Rockets packaged in the deal was greater than his contract worth. The move still cost the Rockets the rights to a player regarded as first round talent in Aldemir.

9. bilaal14

bilaal14 Member

Good read..but if Melo is coming... he is signing for the long haul. Sorry to burst anyones bubble.

10. Chamillionaire

Lin isn't better than the PGs they already have. Knight and Thomas aren't the best distributors but they're as good or better and cheaper than Lin. He's deadweight, 15 million at that.

11. Swishh

Swishh Member

we

are

not

trading

Parsons.

12. downbytheriver

is it POSSIBLE to waive him and have him signed by the Shanghai Sharks, with a deal that makes them pay half the money Les would lose by waiving him? Would he still be on the salary cap if waived, or picked up by a team in another league that better suits his talents?

13. fluors

fluors Member

You do realize that GSW would be paying JLin roughly $14.9M. That's eerily equivalent to the combined salaries of Curry and Thompson. According to hoopshype.com, Curry is scheduled to make $10.6M next season and Thompson will earn $4.6M next season. That's a combined salary of $15.1M, just short of what Lin would make. See http://hoopshype.com/salaries/golden_state.htm. I know Lin loves the GSW and is best mates with Lee and Steph....but $15M....for a back up? Why would they do that? Because JLin is popular? He is that but that popularity enough to offset his true value verses $15M? I wonder. That's just one of several questions. What about the media and fans? They will have doubts and questions as well. IIRC, one of the reasons (cap issues aside) the Knicks could not even entertain matching Morey's poison pill contract for Lin was because Melo was worried that the $15M balloon might cause friction in the locker room and affect team chemistry. But if GS is willing to pay, and if Steph and Lee can curb resentment of Lin, and preserve team chemistry, it has a chance. Especially if Lin plays well next season and is willing to sign long term at $4-5M/yr afterward.

I reviewed the 2013-2014 regular season stats for Steve Blake and Jeremy Lin. Blake averages approximately one more assist and one less turnover than Lin. Blake's 3pt % is also better. Otherwise Lin has better stats on both sides of the ball: superior FG%, eFG%, TS%, DefRtg, OffRtg, DRPM, ORPM, and WAR (stats taken from nba.com and espn.com). Steph likes to attack the rim. So does Lin. Both produce exactly 4.2 PPG on drives. In this respect, Lin is a perfect backup for Steph. But for that $15M, Lin would be a good asset for Golden Sate.

14. d12babymamas

d12babymamas Member

I did some statistical analysis and these are the results:

Probability we move Parsons: 15.3442%
    Probability we move Asik: 90.5231%
    Probability we move Lin: 75.9021%

You're welcome. It took me hours and hours of calculating multiple variables.

15. Jt29

Jt29 Member

Very optimistic view, but knowing morey, dont bank all your money.

16. valorita

valorita Member

Sign and trade for Lowry.
    /thread

17. basketballholic

Remember, I said Morey either already had a deal he knows he can do for Lin or he wants the other GMs and max level players to think he's got a deal for Lin. I do know for certain that he almost had a deal for Lin in February. So I think it's very possible that he has something lined up that he's ready to do. But it could be that he just wants teams and players to think he's got a deal so he can get a trade done before July 1.

Remember, there has to be a reason Morey leaked to Woj that he intends to make Parsons a restricted free agent this soon before the moratorium. Else why give teams time to game plan and talk to Fegans about a possible deal? And Morey already knows trading Parsons is only going to yield non-lottery draft pick. And we already know that if Morey can't get the third superstar this summer that he wants to take another shot next summer. That means he will simply try to convert our #25 to a future pick and some of our talent to exhorting contacts and another future pick or two so he is best and to execute a trade at the deadline. That also requires keeping Parsons with the team option.

Leaking a rumor to Woj (who doesn't make up bs nor does Woj run with a story without verifying it) that we are going to give Parsons his money this summer instead of next summer is all about trying to get a trade done before the moratorium. Because there is simply NO WAY that Morey is going to clog the cap witha Parsons deal and not be able to play 2015 free agency if he can't get a superstar this summer. Morey is not going to box himself in like that.

18. JLFan

JLFan Rookie

to long to read... no news about Lin. Its sad you need to trade your entire team to get a 3rD player. The Spurs have a pretty good 1-15 the Rockets will have a good 1-3 and everyone else will be high school kids. Its like the Lakers all over again, "superstars", no defense coach =failed system. Does the Spurs have 3 "all stars"? Miami has 3 but they took less money meanwhile Rockets with 3 max players on cap?? LOL

19. basketballholic

Legit point and that was the reason I didn't list Golden State. That's a lot of money to dish out for a backup. If they don't trade for Love they have other needs that they can use that trade exception for while signing a decent backup point guard for a lot less money. And if they do trade for Love they'll need a replacement on the wing much more than a backup PG.

But Sacramento on the other hand. ...... He'd be a great fit. Starting PG. And they don't have to give pint - sized Thomas a long-term deal. So Sacramento can stay very cap flexible if they get Love and both Love and Rudy Gay decide to walk after next season. Sacramento does not want to pay Thomas anything close to $8 million per season for multiple years. I don't think they want to pay Thomas even $4 million per season.

20. anchel

anchel Member

1. Melo's new contract should start at $22,458,402.

That scenario implies that Rockets get rid of Jones, Motiejunas, Asik, Lin. That's a lot of moves that you must have prepared if Melo says "yes" in order to then push the boton and execute all the moves. Teams are gonna ask for more if they see that you absolutely need that cap room, so the deal would be re-negotiated. We're not speaking about minor moves, we're speaking about at least 3 important moves.

Then, assuming you get Melo via FAgency, you have:

Howard
    Melo
    Parsons
    Harden
    Beverley

Daniels

Nothing else. And no 1st pick. No MLE to expend, just a poor room exception.

Honestly, I dont see that team enough competitive to get a championship, with no inside presence, no bench, and that many new faces. I can't see enough improvement to ignite all that machinery...

The Parsons "trick" is certainly interesting and sounds doable, still, like I said, Melo's new max should start at $22,458,402. If he's gonna accept a reductionm, have in mind that Chicago is a great place and probably better fit for him.

All in all, everything seems like a too long of a shot, too complicated, to think that is the A) plan in Morey's mind. All that to get into a situation where you have hardly improved your contending chances?

The Lowry sign & trade option certainly sounds like a more doable plan. Easier, more likely, and probably a better final roster scenario. Would you have after the trade a better roster, a nice MLE to improve the team, several young assets to improve the PF position, and the 1st round pick.