1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has MDA lost the lockeroom?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by snowconeman22, Dec 8, 2018.

?

has he lost the lockeroom

1. Yes

51 vote(s)
    36.2%
  2. No

38 vote(s)
    27.0%
  3. Maybe so

52 vote(s)
    36.9%
  1. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Ennis and Clark have both looked more than solid in spurts this season . Both of those guys give good effort and are fairly athletic . It IS on the coach to find a way to maximize the talent on his roster . They could be wreaking havoc cutting to the basket . But MDA's plan is to stick them in the corner .

The static set up is good ..., and a lot of the time harden and Paul can take advantage of it ... but when the defense adjusts you need to adjust .

When the defense adjusts to give up a 3 to Clark or Ennis because they aren't lockdown shooters ... instead of trying to fill that spot with a shooter , why not adjust your offense so you make the defense give up something else ?

2. Newlin

Newlin Member

Has Popovich lost the locker room? I mean the Spurs are right there with the Rockets in the standings.

Look at the Mavs. They stuck with Carlisle in the worst of times and now they are on the rise.

This Rockets team was built and is constantly being rebuilt by Morey. The leaders on the floor and in the locker room are Paul and Harden.

MDA isn't the key to the Rockets success. He also isn't the reason for their decline this season.

dmoneybangbang, topfive and Pat like this.
  3. edwardc

edwardc Member

It's time to give Calvin the job and have him whip these guys back into the team we all know they can be.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  4. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Pop has rings on his fingers to command respect . Plus he actually might retire soon .

Rick has also been around for a long time and it is widely known he's a great coach .

MDA has success in PHO and has had some success here . He got a lot of credit last year. But maybe all he credit should have gone to Paul and harden .

From your first two examples are you saying that coaching doesn't matter ?

edwardc likes this.
  5. Furious Jam

Furious Jam Contributing Member

Pringles is just a few lines of code in Dork Elvis' program. The real question is has Morey finally run out of back doors to exploit? The guy is brilliant no doubt - he's had the rest of the NBA chasing him for years. But does he have any tricks left up his sleeve? This Chris Paul thing is going to come back and bite him in the long run, but it was a high variance move that he had to make to take a shot at the Warriors and it almost worked. As a result we may be in for some lean years but MDA isn't to blame.

BasketMAD, Richie_Rich and Easy like this.
  6. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I think the bench is just too thin

Mazulis and HP3 like this.
  7. HP3

HP3 Member

How is it MDA's fault dude's cant hit open 3s??? Tell me how?

steddinotayto likes this.
  8. Rokman

Rokman Member

D'Antoni needs to slap that mustache back on and let they guys know who is in charge!

"There's 1 way to the championship fella's. I'm back in the saddle and it's time to take a ride!"

Mazulis, BasketMAD, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  9. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Even if you add Ennis and Clark to the Cp3/Capela/Gordon/Harden/Tucker core that's 7 players out of 15. NBA teams might go 10 or 11 deep in the regular season but we can't afford to go that deep for long stretches right now. Tack on the fact that Harden is the ONLY consistent offense night in and night out.....you can't change or overhaul this offense without directly impacting Harden's offense imo.

10. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

It's not . I never said it was .

However , if you take a guy that can't shoot and ask him to hit 3's .... even if he's open it's a bad idea .

11. HP3

HP3 Member

Really, asking Gerald to hit open shots is too much, EG? House? ClarK? Tucker?....Its too much to ask them to hit shots now...., its clear we need a roster change and we need to do it now. ....Im honestly disgusted with how things are turning out...I donno man, it all looks bleak. And we have the worst of the worst posting on here and making threads.

BasketMAD, snowconeman22 and BMoney like this.
  12. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

D'Antoni is looking like a hack right now. Most great coaches would make some major adjustments, especially when you're sitting at 11-14. Start Eric Gordon instead of CP3's washed ass. Start Gary Clark at SF instead of Ennis. I don't know. Throw crap at the wall. Something is bound to be better than this dumpster fire.

13. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

Asking those guys to make open shots isn't too much . But we didn't lose tonight because EG or Ennis or tucker or Clark missed open threes .

PJ missed a few form the corner, Ennis missed a few as well .

I would hardly describe most of the threes EG took as being open . I mean he definitely had space out there ... 5 feet behind the arc .

Same with green . How many clean , in rhythm corner looks did green have .

PJ was the only one who missed those tonight . And I'm not gonna rag on his shooting because he is still at like 45% on the year .

To me , a pull-up from 3-5 feet behind the arc isn't a good shot just because it's a three. I don't expect Gordon to consistently make those , but he sure as hell consistently takes them .

Look , not making threes is a problem . But it's sure as hell not the only problem .

Obviously we could use a talent upgrade , but if you want us to only play guys that are lights out shooters and elite defenders then I've got bad news for you man lol .

Our talent is lacking, but we should be able to take the ****ing mavs and the ****ing cavs .

People here keep bringing up 15-16 , so let me bring up 14-15 . Our second best player that year was Ariza / DMO . We didn't have lights out shooters . We didn't have elite defenders . Our 3/4 depth was Corey brewer and josh smith who were basically trash after that year . Oh and t jones . But we won 56 ****ing games . You can win if the talent you do have works together.... to me that's the coaches job

Mazulis, joshuaao and HP3 like this.
  14. Newlin

Newlin Member

What I'm saying is just because the team is struggling, it doesn't necessarily mean the coach has lost the locker room. It also doesn't mean you have to dump the coach. There will always be peaks and valleys in every coaches career as the talent level of the roster fluctuates.

15. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I'm not saying he's lost the locker room either. But I thought our performance has been poor enough so far to warrant the question .

16. LaVar Ball

LaVar Ball Member

me > luke > mike

17. HP3

HP3 Member

Eric Gordon,2-8, Pj, 1-4, EG-2-8, Ennis-2-6, GG-1-4(my god). Yes it is a big reason...also rebounds...ugh

No he had a few open ones, and they were the shots we gave him last year. EG had a few though that def should have gone in. They are open, none of them are that contested, he should be able to make those. But yea I give him more leeway cause of the distance...but still he can hit at a higher than that, I know he can.

I saw at least 2(one wide open) that he missed, and one pull up that was fairly open as well. His defense has also been questionable.

Yea, thats fine...but he has to hit, we cant afford him not hitting like this, and you are right PJ is there on the defensive end...but he still has to hit more than one.

He can though? He hit the 3s at 36% last year, 37 before that. He's at 31%, he has to play better(also has to drive better and I know he can).

Well theres no point in blaming the coach and no matter what you arent gonna win if you dont have the talent.

Cmon man...Mchale? ..He didnt do anything that was all Harden and Morey, guess who took the most threes a year that year, we did. Guess who was 7th in defensive rating, we were. Our defense cant clean up our poor shooting nights anymore cause its terrrible(tonight wasnt bad but we can grab any boards so it makes our defense seems way worse than it is.) Either way, I agree, offense still needs work. But its really the defense that needs alot more and thats evident by our rankings in both.

18. edwardc

edwardc Member

I can totally agree with you both of those coaches have rings MDA has gotten close but doesn't count.

snowconeman22 likes this.
  19. edwardc

edwardc Member

There is no discipline on the team on either end of the floor that's why it's time for a change CJM would put this team back on track.

20. Rocket PR

Rocket PR Member

We don't have the personel to play only 3s basketball we need to change our philosophy