1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has JVG ever developed a player?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by lytruc, Sep 24, 2004.

1. beyao

beyao Contributing Member

who did VG ever coach that had talent that was not already fully developed? He inherited Ewing, Spre, Houston...each of whom were already stars...the rest of his roster was filled with role players

2. snowmt01

snowmt01 Contributing Member

On a side note, I don't think Rudy helped Francis' development.
    He gave Francis too much reign and too less discipline.
    Remember Kobe's first and second year. Phil benched his ass
    a lot which helped him to develop an all-round game.

3. rhester

rhester Contributing Member

I am not sure what difference having young players and veteran players has to do with development.

NBA development depends upon talent, skill, maturity, attitude and some teaching.

I guess there are teaching techniques that help players, but I would say that is the least factor in a player's development.

Most teams have coaches that can teach.

Name 10 players who developed or improved significantly because of a coaching change.

Here are the most important factors in NBA player development-
    1. Talent- serious talent will rise to the top in time
    2. Maturity/attitude- hard dedicated workers pay the price
    3. Supporting cast- you are as good as your team will allow
    4. System- if the system doesn't benefit your skill set- you lose

4. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

This is absolutely true. I can't count the number of times that JVG deflected blame away from Steve, or noticably left him out of criticism. Yao was more of JVG's whipping boy than anyone else, and I think JVG had the feeling that Yao could take it, especially since I doubt he even reads the American media.

JVG was also a huge supporter of Cato who has been a notorious sulker in the past. IMO JVG knew which guys he could jab at and which guys he had to give a bit of slack to.

And the Superbowl incident was a big mistake by Steve and I don't remember anything that JVG said during that incident that was out of line or inflammatory.

5. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Phil Jackson wasn't coaching him then.

6. snowmt01

My mistake. But Phil did nag Kobe constantly to pass the ball.

7. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Of course he wasn't... he needed one more superstar before he could accolades for being such a great coach.

8. white lightning

white lightning Contributing Member

Here are the draft picks Jeff had to work with while he was there. i'm going back a couple of years before he was named head coach since he was on the staff.

1993 none
    1994 Monty Williams, Charlie Ward
    1995 none
    1996 John Wallace, Walter McCarty, Dontae' Jones
    1997 John Thomas
    1998 none
    1999 Frederic Weis
    2000 Donnell Harvey

I'm not sure that any coach could have turned most of these guys into player.

9. snowmt01

Stop posting it. Someone will find a way to critisize his draft history. :D

10. Hippieloser

Hippieloser Contributing Member

I'm not sure if getting guys like Kelvin Cato, Mo Taylor and Jim Jackson to work themselves into the best shape of their careers is considered "developing" a player, but it ought to count for something.

I think there's also something to be said for planting Yao firmly in the post all season. His game developed quite a bit from the experience, and many were saying he'd be a better player from the elbow. Sticking a 7'6" guy at the elbow isn't going to get you 40-point explosions. What Rudy would have done I suppose we can only speculate.

In just his first year, however, I think JVG has illustrated that one of his strengths is getting his players to work hard for him. I doubt Francis and Mobely ever worked as hard in their careers as they did last season. I KNOW Yao, Cato and Taylor never did.

11. edc

edc Contributing Member

Except that Larry Brown had won an ABA championship, was NBA coach of the year, and won an NCAA championship. Not necessarily "NBA championship caliber," but enough to be considered above average. Of course, winning it all last year made the point moot.

12. m_cable

m_cable Contributing Member

Great, because I'm going to hold you to that when JVG leads us to the championship within 3 years.

13. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I'm not the biggest JVG fan but I also agree with post. While I think Steve improved his first three seasons under Rudy, I think Rudy gave him and Mobley way too much freedom. JVG got Francis to play better defense and pass the ball earlier in the offense. He got Mobley to stop trying to initiate the offense and pass the ball to Yao more often and become more of a spot up shooter.

14. dugtzu

dugtzu Contributing Member

whatever jvg is coaching, ive noticed that younger developing players tend to:
    - cut down on the mistakes
    - appear to have a better knowledge of the game- play smarter i guess
    - develop some post skills
    - play better defense

unfortunately, what other posters have stated also seems true -van gundy gets players fearing mistakes. it could be argued that yao, stevie, mobley, houston and camby all showed a little drop in offensive creativity under jvg. lets hope mcgrady doesnt do the same!

15. Davidoff

Davidoff Contributing Member

I was thinking the same, he is helping on the YAO project isn't he??

16. MFW2310

MFW2310 Contributing Member

So in other words, if JVG manages to win a championship this year then he suddenly becomes an above average and someone who developed players? Or better yet, if Bob Joe from Deke's fav strip club somehow manages to get hired and by luck, every superstar plays for him and they win a championship, then Bob Joe is an above average coach? More talented teams win more championships, regardless of the coach, and Larry Brown ALWAYS had better teams than JVG. Pat Riley won as a Laker but suddenly couldn't win jack as a Heat. So I'm guessing Layden build a crap of a team (and the Knicks pretty much telling JVG to keep his head out of roster moves) is also JVG's fault?

And btw, NCAA champ means sh*t. Any crap of a team can get lucky for couple of days and win the tournament. Ask them to play 7 game playoffs like the NBA and all this upset crap almost never happens.

17. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Yeah....

Marcus Camby
    Yao Ming (In the process)
    Boki (In the process)

Notable mention include......Spanoulis and Badman (albeit dreamcasting).

18. AMS

AMS Contributing Member

The first 2, maybe, Boki... NO.

19. edc

edc Contributing Member

A championship-level coach is one who wins championships. It is highly unlikely "Bob Joe" could accomplish that, no matter how talented the group. If he did, sure, he's a Championship quality coach. It isn't that easy though. The just-disbanded Lakers did not win championships until Phil Jackson took the job. The Rockets with Hakeem in his prime languished in the middle of the standings under previous head coaches. The same goes for Jordan and Pippen's Bulls.

20. DavidS

DavidS Contributing Member

I agree.

I think that JVG expects his players to *know* fundamentals reasonable well. He's willing to teach and mentor as long as you have a player that *wants* to spend the extra time learning. But he doesn't have patience with players that are lazy or clueless about basic skills (passing, shooting, defense, teamwork). If you are, you will probably sit on the bench or be traded (hint, hint!).

#60 DavidS, Sep 24, 2004
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2004